PDA

View Full Version : Just bragging

7br
11-27-2006, 10:34 AM
I turned down a pheasant hunt with my brother and nephew to take my 12yr old son squirrel hunting on my dad's farm. He used a 20gauge and while it isn't quite as sporting as a .32 revolver, it was plenty challenging for him.

We had my other two younger kids with us as we hit the timber. After a few minutes watching, we decided to cross the creek and try to sneak up on a couple that were running in the trees. The youngest had to go back the house for a potty break, so the middle child offered to take her back while Jake and I completed the stalk. Jake and I settled down about 20 yards from an ancient oak that we had last seen the squirrels in. About 10 minutes after the younger kids cleared the 6 inch carpet of dried oak leaves, a squirrel came back out and started making its way through the trees. Jake turned down the first shot that presented itself because he wasn't quite sure of it. The squirrel jumped to the next tree and shimmied up about 30 ft before it looked back to see what Jake was up to. Jake pulled the trigger and the squirrel tumbled out of the tree. He had the safety back on before I could remind him and had marked the squirrel down.

I have earmarked the next few years for investment hunting.

R.M.
11-27-2006, 11:18 AM
So how long do you figure that smile's going to last. A good long time I expect. Sure brings back some good memories. :-D

sundog
11-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Yup, Mark, you got braggin' rights for a few days. For sure! sundog

Bigjohn
11-27-2006, 07:36 PM
BRAGGIN" RIGHTS; we will never hear the end of this story. All of us will know it off by heart as it gets retold year after year. :-D That smile will never leave his face.

Good memories!

:drinks:

John

Topper
11-27-2006, 08:39 PM
A BIG THUMBSUP for Jake and to his dad for obviously instilling the value of the safety;)