PDA

View Full Version : Any thought on patching sabots?

daengmei
03-13-2011, 08:06 AM
I've got a handful of some 30-06 rounds loaded with sabot sleeves. (Being somewhat new to the forum I'm trying not to misstype something terrible..... ) Not having a rifle of that caliber I was thinking of using them in my .308.
Somehow I wondered if these sleeves could be patched and used in a larger bore, I've got some .312-.315 Mosin Nagants. Just wondering, sabots aren't usually thought to be very accurate but I don't want to just throw them out.

nanuk
03-13-2011, 07:49 PM
are you talking the "Accelerator" type rounds with a .223 bullet in them?

daengmei
03-13-2011, 10:50 PM
These are already loaded into RP 30-06 casings, original loads I would think, my source had them for many years. The plastic does look like the ones in the Accelerator add, just different color. Till I pull one I don't know what the bullet size is.

303Guy
03-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Why not? All the patch has to do is get the sabot through the bore straight. It doesn't even have to come off the sabot or fragment. Do it and tell us how it goes. If they shoot better than plain sabot's there may be some folks interested in doing the same using cast boolits. (If one can get the sabot's loose).

daengmei
03-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Then it's a plan! Of course my plans are more like dreams but soon I'll do something...... Thanks.