PDA

View Full Version : Universal carbine slide

cavalrymedic
03-12-2011, 10:03 PM
I posted this in the want to buy forum, but no responses so I'll try in a slightly more specific forum.

I broke the slide on my Universal M1 Carbine. For those not familiar, that's a commercially made (poorly) M1 carbine. That is to say that it outwardly resembles the M1 Carbine, but many of the parts are not interchangeable with USGI carbines. I have looked everywhere that I can think of to look. I did a weld job on the slide but that didn't umm....I didn't hold up well.

If anyone has a slide that they can bare to part with, or maybe knows where to find one, please let me know. I really like shooting this little gun and I would hate to see it stay out of service. Thanks

cavalrymedic
03-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Unfortunately no. The slide "block" that squarish hunk of metal that rides underneath the barrel, is unique to the Universal. It has a square sided barrel, two spring guide holes, and a few other variables. What I have thought of is using that block, and welding on a USGI slide handle. That could work, maybe. I'm desperate, really.

RayinNH
03-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't know anything about either one, but would a USGI slide work with some additional machining done to it?...Ray

cavalrymedic
03-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Perhaps Ray. There would need to be two operating rod holes drilled to accomodate the two rod system, and the slide block would need to be significantly hollowed out and reshaped. I might be better maybe getting a machine shop to copy the Universal slide. I wonder how much that would set me back?

RayinNH
03-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Don't forget the heat treating too...Ray

cavalrymedic
03-13-2011, 03:13 AM
definetly. that's what i got wrong with my 1st attempt to repair. I didn't heat treat the slide and i guess it was too brittle.

WILCO
03-13-2011, 07:51 AM
I might be better maybe getting a machine shop to copy the Universal slide. I wonder how much that would set me back?

Take it in and find out. There might be copy right issues and patents to contend with, but who knows. There are new ones being made by Auto-Ordnance:

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/PA-1AO_m1.html

I've held one at a gun raffle some time back. I was impressed.

Gtek
03-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Check your PM - Gtek