PDA

View Full Version : Opening up Cylinder

donjose
03-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Where do you guys recommend to send these to to have this done?

Thank You
Jason

stubshaft
03-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Cylindersmith (dot) com

white eagle
03-13-2011, 01:06 AM
did mine myself

Guesser
03-13-2011, 11:02 AM
I did my Ruger NMBH 45/45 chambers in both cylinders myself.

Beerd
03-13-2011, 12:58 PM
it's not hard to DIY
depends on what you think needs to be done.

Snyd
03-13-2011, 02:14 PM
There used to be a reamer going around the swap and sell at rugerforum.com. We had a line of guys buying it, using it and selling it to the next guy in line. I think someone had it resharpened after a while as well. Try searching there. It really is a simple thing to do with the right tool.

I sent one to cylindersmith a few years ago as well.

donjose
03-13-2011, 02:55 PM
So I got on Brownells and seen the Dave Manson Precision Reamer and I am thinking of ordering one.My question is you put the pilot in and then ream the cylinder from the chambering side correct?And then do you flip it over and ream the other side as well?

Jason

donjose
03-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Anybody????

Snyd
03-13-2011, 05:53 PM
No, you just do it from the chamber side. It comes with pretty good instructions. You can also take a case, cut about a half inch off it, smooth up the burrs and slip it over the reamer. It helps to center in in the chamber. I took a chuck off an older drill and used it to turn the reamer. I may have some pics somewhere. If so I'll post em.

EDIT: Here's a pic of a reamer with a pilot attached and you can see they have a piece of a brass case to slip over the reamer. Use a t-handle or a chuck of a drill to give you something to hang on to. Use cutting oil and only turn the reamer in the proper direction.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~ppod/reamer.jpg

Snyd
03-13-2011, 06:04 PM
This may help as well. In these pics you can see he used a piece of brass material instead of just slipping a chunk of case over the reamer.

http://www.denvergunsmith.com/Reamer/index.html

donjose
03-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Thank You So Much PM sent

Phillip
03-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Funny seeing this thread and having just measured the throat's on the Ruger Redhawk I just got. They are all .449 to .450 and the forcing cone seems little small as well with a nice sharp edge.

I guess it seems that Ruger thinks everyone is shooting JHP boolits since lead is evil now. [smilie=b:

Any how, I think any one that buys a Ruger, S&W and Taurus, should have one of these on hand if they plan to shoot cast.

Snyd
03-14-2011, 12:51 AM
The throats in my 4 inch Redhawk 45 Colt were all right at .451-.4515. Pretty consistient actually. The 454 Cylinder I put in it is from a 2010 SRH and throats are .454.

Swede44mag
03-14-2011, 10:37 AM
I bought the same reamer from Brownell as Snyd I also bought the pilot pack. My Vaquero throats were .450 with 2 at .4505. It is an easy procedure if you follow the directions. I plan on buying another Vaquero or Bisley hunter I did not want to send the cylinder off and have a chance of it getting lost in the mail.

I had a 12ga Over and Under sent back to the factory that was lost in the mail for 2 years when I did get it back the stock was crooked.
They claimed it was standing in the corner of the delivery truck all the time. I don't believe there story for a minute.

msinc
03-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Agree, it is very easy to do...just dont go fast. Take it slow and easy and measure alot. My Rugers were all dead on perfect it was the Smith and Wesson's costing twice as much that needed corrections. Ruger's, at least the three I own definately have better smoother forcing cones and they shoot better out of the box.

bigboredad
03-15-2011, 10:57 PM
If you plan on owning more .45s' its worth it to buy the reamer and diy jmho

Rodfac
03-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Cylindersmith.com did a great job on mine, and cheaper than buying a reamer for one gun...now they're right on at .4525" now (started out down near .450"+-) and my N. Vaquero .45 LC, tightened right up. I was getting 3"+ groups before, and sub 2" after. I did not mess with the forcing cone however. Leading BTW, is pretty much a thing of the past.

A little off topic but...I was concerned that after the opening up, I would get some group movement. I found that there was none at all. The gun still shot 2" left at 25 yds. I corrected this with some judicious filing on the rear sight notch and an application of cold blue to hide my work. It was file a little, shoot 3 groups, file a little more, etc. In the end, I got it within 1/2" of center windage-wise, at 25 yds from a rested position...as good as I can see the sights for the most part.

HTH's Rodfac

LAH
03-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Cylindersmith (dot) com

This guy, CAS, it great. His work is good & quick.