PDA

View Full Version : Did I do ok?

Thumbcocker
03-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Nosing around the gunshow today I spotted a Smith model 18 with some surface damage from being in a holster or gun rug. Bore is pristine and it locks up good. Serial number says made in 1967. I don't think it has been shot a whole lot. $377 with tax. Pick it up Tuesday.

I have wanted one of these little critters for a long time. All the other S&W's I saw were crazy expensive.

Did I do ok?

cavalrymedic
03-12-2011, 09:54 PM
YOu did fine in my book. A little surface marring from a holster is nothing. I like a gun that shows a little bit of age. The price seems pretty fair too. The important part is ya got what ya been drooling over at a price you can afford.

wellfedirishman
03-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Holy cow, you did ok. Regardless of a little surface wear, it will make a fine shooter. That price is excellent.

Guesser
03-13-2011, 11:01 AM
I found a Colt Trooper 357 that had been stored in a leather holster for more than 30 years. Pitted badly on the under side (left). No way to polish the pits out of the barrel or cylinder. Had to neutralize the rust so had it blasted and refinished in Lauer Durakote in a blue. Not real pretty but it is durable and the gun will make a great utility, service revolver. It was pristine inside and had not been used much, just put in a drawer and forgotten until the estate had to be dealt with.

curdog
03-13-2011, 11:50 AM
That is a fair price and they are kind of hard to find.
I bought one a couple of months ago for 300. I think it is a combat masterpiece, it does not say model 18 on mine. I think it is a perfect walkin around 22.

Murphy
03-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Thumbcocker,

You did very well! My guns are meant to be shot. Pretty is nice, but if you pack it around and shoot it enough it will begin to show some wear. ANY working Model 18 you got out the door at that price was a 'good deal'. Go check Gunbroker auctions and you'll see what I'm saying. You can't find one that starts for less the $550 at the very least most of the time. Sounds like a perfect truck/woods walking & plinking .22 LR.

Curdog,

If you managed to pick up a Pre Model 17 five screw for $300? I'd laugh my butt off everytime I took it out shooting...you stole that sucker. I just picked up one for (6" five screw) in extremely nice condition and it's gonna cost me just slightly less than $600 to get it to the house.

Murphy