PDA

View Full Version : Re-painting press, what kind of paint?

Jeff Davis
03-12-2011, 08:17 PM
I have been horse trading with a buddy of mine, each of us gets something the other can't use any more. On the last trade, I ended up with an old CH C press with two primer arms. It appears to be an aluminum frame with a steel ram and handle.

The thing had been used outside in a barn before my buddy ended up with it a few years ago. He cleaned off most of the debris, packed it in a sealed bucket and
let it sit in his shop until I ended up with it. The original red paint was flaking off over the majority of the press and I started stripping it last night with citrus stripper from a spray can.

I got most of it cleaned up and it is going through another treatment tonight. Then I will buff it with 0000 steel wool.

My question is, what type of paint do I use? I want a strong wearing finish as well as getting it to look new again. Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks

Jeff

Skipper488
03-12-2011, 09:53 PM
I would tape off anything I didn't want coated then take it down and have it powder coated. One word of caution Powder Coat needs to be baked on so remove any seals that or bearings that could be damaged by baking.

nicholst55
03-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Either powder coat or an epoxy spray paint - either the appliance paint, or something like Brownells AlumaHyde II.

RayinNH
03-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Most powder coat shops have a minimum order charge. If you choose a common color they may take pity on you and include it next time they run a batch of that color.

Skipper488
03-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Usually you can get the powder coat shops to do something small like a press for next to nothing if you're not particular about the color. They do a lot of Blues, Greens, Reds and Yellows.

totallycustom
03-13-2011, 04:32 PM
I just painted an old Lachmiller press wih hammer finish paint and it turned out ok. If I was to do it again (which I might) I would use the wrinkle paint sold at auto parts stores. It comes in red and most older presses had that type of finish also. It was also suggested to me to use the krylon fusion paint for plastics because it is harder and more durable.

flashhole
03-13-2011, 06:30 PM
If its aluminum this won't help much but if it is iron you might give this serious consideration. I have used it in the past. It's amazing.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-mar-hyde-one-step-rust-converter-3509-p-17215.aspx

kywoodwrkr
03-13-2011, 06:47 PM
or two
Dupli-Color
Spray cans at local NAPA etc stores.
Auto body supply shops also.
Take press with you if you want to match remaining(if any) color.
FWIW

Kevin Rohrer
03-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Last year I refurbished a Lyman AA that had been red but was now a faded pink. I disassembled, cleaned, and removed the paint. Then I primed it using aluminum primer that was surprisingly hard to find. After that, I brush painted it Rustoleum Safety Red. It came out looking pretty good. I got the latter paint at Lowes.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0253.jpg

pls1911
03-13-2011, 09:58 PM
If You only want to do it once, and want it bulletproof, use a urethane hardner additive type acrylic enamel industrial grade paint.
Be ceratin to follow all instructions and primer recommendations.

DuPont Imron or Sherwin Williams or Rustoleum industrial enamel with the urerthan hardner.

Or Varathane + the additive, available at tractor supply.

frankenfab
03-13-2011, 10:26 PM
I too, like Rustoleum. The paint is great, and you get a superior spray nozzle on the can. Don't know how well it sticks to Aluminum, but sandblasting might make it happen.

Dustinxxx
03-14-2011, 06:21 PM
I just painted my lee pro 1000, i used the rustoleum camo color paint. Turned out pretty good

3006guns
03-15-2011, 07:10 AM
A caution on those urethane hardners.......they cause cancer and require a really good face mask during appplication. Don't take any chances.

I just finished painting a 1920 Hendey lathe with Krylon Fusion paint and I'm impressed. Doesn't require a primer, dries almost immediately, seems oil resistant and tough to chip/scratch. About six bucks a can at Wally World or any hardware store.

I also used a Krylon gray hammertone on my old Hollywood Senior. Although not an original color it sure looks spiffy!

rsrocket1
03-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Don't you need to alodize (sp?) aluminum before you paint it? I believe aluminum forms a super thin layer of oxide almost immediately and paints have a hard time sticking to it. It's not as simple as painting a cast iron press. Do a quick web search on prepping and painting aluminum and you may save yourself some frustrations.

Kevin Rohrer
03-15-2011, 04:34 PM
I primed mine w/ aluminum primer before painting.

Steel185
03-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Jeff,
Question for you, how are you preping your press before you use that paint stripper? Do you remove all the o-rings or seals or anything? I just bought a Lyman #45 and it has two different colors on it, and some of that is flaking off. I thought I'd clean it up before i install and use it. Just wondered how it was done, I used to just sandblast but i don't have access to that tool anymore.

Kevin,
that looks really good for a brush job. I could live with that, i might just use your method when i get the old paint off.

-Josh

donald duck
03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
I painted an aluminum 12 ft boat ( old wards sea king) last year and used aluminum ozide primer before spraying with latex red paint. turned out great. If aluminum be sure to prime, never use anything with copper. If cast iron I would use Rustleonum.

Kevin Rohrer
03-21-2011, 09:32 AM
The paint is thin enough that it covered well w/o ant visible paint strokes. I believe the press has 2-coats.