PDA

View Full Version : hard mag primers?

unclebill
03-12-2011, 07:13 PM
out of my 3 pistol loading manuals.
2 specify small rifle primers
1 says small magnum rifle primers.
i bought cci mag primers for my .454casull loads.
about 40% of my loads were misfires.

i have NEVER had a misfire out of ANY of my reloads of any caliber.
(only god knows how many 10's of thousands that is).
i think these primers are
1 faulty
2 too hard for my hammer spring.
needless to say.
i am not replacing any parts on my gun when all i have to do is go right back to using
win. small rifle primers.

anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

bhn22
03-12-2011, 08:13 PM
All primers are not the same. Magnum rifle primers are harder & hotter than std rifle primers, and are not necessarily interchangeable. CCI primers are some of the hardest available.

wellfedirishman
03-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Try Winchester primers. I use them in a contender pistol and they ignited every time when military primers failed (used in 223 brass, but same primer type in a pistol so still applies).

44man
03-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Not enough information Unclebill. Did the primers fire without lighting the powder? Or did they not fire unless you tried to shoot them again? If the latter, you need a stronger mainspring and will lose accuracy even with primers that light off. When you need a primer only that will light, the gun is wrong. EVERY MAKE OF PRIMER SHOULD FIRE!

unclebill
03-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Not enough information Unclebill. Did the primers fire without lighting the powder? Or did they not fire unless you tried to shoot them again? If the latter, you need a stronger mainspring and will lose accuracy even with primers that light off. When you need a primer only that will light, the gun is wrong. EVERY MAKE OF PRIMER SHOULD FIRE!

they did not fire unless i tried to shoot them again.
this spring is super easy to replace.
no tools even.
a lot like one of my rugers.
i will call taurus tomorrow and see if they will send me a new spring.
i cant find parts online for the raging bull.

unclebill
03-14-2011, 08:31 PM
i have 1000's of win primers anyway.

Shooter6br
03-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I had mis fires with LP Winchesters .I prefer Federal

Mal Paso
03-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I had mis fires with LP Winchesters .I prefer Federal

+1 I had 2 different batches of WLP that were too hard for a new unmodified Redhawk.

Federal is my favorite!:Fire:

44man
03-15-2011, 08:48 AM
It shows the standard spring is 14# and there are no over power ones made. That makes things tough.
They show 10# and 12# reduced power that would just make things worse.
There might be an advantage in getting a 14# Wolff spring though. I think they are faster and they will not take a set.
I used to change my SBH spring every year when accuracy would drop off shooting IHMSA. You really notice the difference at 200 meters! Lay a new spring next to an old one and you can see how much they shorten. I gave up on Ruger springs and went 100% to Wolff for all of my revolvers and my friends have all switched.
The difference in groups can be seen.
Many don't realize how important spring tension is and just finding a primer that will go off is not good enough. Others say it is lock time but that is not so either, the primer must be struck with a certain impact.
Spring speed enters in here and a fast spring can be lighter and still make the hammer hit hard enough. Use a quality spring, I have found no better then Wolff.
Gun makers and even custom makers can go wrong with the spring just to get a good trigger pull. You should never weaken a mainspring. I get 2# to 1-1/2# triggers with over power springs. I use 26# in my Ruger's and BFR's.
With my Ruger I have added washers to increase pressure long ago but it only lasted so long because the factory spring would just shrink more.
I hate to read the recommendation to put a "spring kit" in any gun UNLESS the main spring is faster without a loss of impact. If you can only shoot one primer with a spring change, your choice is wrong.

unclebill
03-15-2011, 09:18 AM
I have added washers to increase pressure long ago but it only lasted so long because the factory spring would just shrink more.

thats funny.
i thought about that yesterday.

44man
03-15-2011, 01:28 PM
thats funny.
i thought about that yesterday.
You are smart and thinking, good for you.

unclebill
03-17-2011, 01:28 PM
i think i will add a tiny washer until i find a suitable replacement spring.