PDA

View Full Version : M1A op rod guide?

Doc1
03-12-2011, 06:15 PM
I just got a deal on a Norinco M1A at a gun show today. I took it home and ran a mag through it and she seems well-behaved. No failures, accurate and headspace is good. It was a trade-and-(a little) cash, but I don't have $200 in the thing.

But...there is one anomaly I'm a little concerned about: The operating rod guide is pinned to the barrel, yet it is loose and twists side to side maybe ten or twenty degrees. When the rifle is fired or manually cycled and the bolt is allowed to freely go into battery, it seems to line up fine. If I "ride" the bolt home, it ends up a little off-center.

Is the op rod guide designed to have a little lateral play, or should it be pinned rigidly to the barrel?

This rifle has seen little use and the guide doesn't look worn or even slightly deformed. Still, it doesn't "seem" right to me that it's loose.

Anyone here know the answer? Many thanks in advance.

Best regards
Doc

Gtek
03-12-2011, 08:25 PM
No it should not be loose, have barrel/rec timing checked first. Barrel may be timed wrong and somebody or firing helped it find center. If found to be timed
correct you can peen up on barrel and re-install. You have a buddy that is familiar with these? Have some body second eye it up. Op-Rod in the eye hole ain't worth
200 bucks. Keep an eye on headspace, metal runs both ends on those- some ok, some butter soft. -Gtek

Ford SD
03-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I just got a deal on a Norinco M1A at a gun show today. I took it home and ran a mag through it and she seems well-behaved. No failures, accurate and headspace is good. It was a trade-and-(a little) cash, but I don't have $200 in the thing.

But...there is one anomaly I'm a little concerned about: The operating rod guide is pinned to the barrel, yet it is loose and twists side to side maybe ten or twenty degrees. When the rifle is fired or manually cycled and the bolt is allowed to freely go into battery, it seems to line up fine. If I "ride" the bolt home, it ends up a little off-center.

Is the op rod guide designed to have a little lateral play, or should it be pinned rigidly to the barrel?

This rifle has seen little use and the guide doesn't look worn or even slightly deformed. Still, it doesn't "seem" right to me that it's loose.

Anyone here know the answer? Many thanks in advance.

Best regards
Doc

The Norinco is known for that problem but you are it luck

it can be fixed by replacing the roll pin (i think 1/8" in size )by 1" long and trim after it it is in with a dremel tool or remove roll pin and get one the same size

have fun

mroliver77
03-15-2011, 10:11 PM
http://m14tfl.com/
Fellow named Gus Fisher here is an armorer not just a gunsmith. Talk with him about your gun. It can be easily fixed. There ia some things that you really should know if shooting an M1A. The forum has all the info and more you will ever need.

shotman
03-15-2011, 10:31 PM
best not shoot till you get it tight one hot round may make for bad day . they dont move too far on a M1A

Doc1
03-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Thank you gentlemen for all of the input. Through yourselves and other, local sources, it's obvious that the guide needs to be tightened. I can probably do this myself as I have a pretty decent home machine shop.

I haven't fired it again since bringing it home and she'll stay cold 'til I get this little problem straightened out.

Best regards
Doc