PDA

View Full Version : gas check 8x56r?

sray
05-28-2005, 05:58 PM
I have the Lee 8x56r mould and sizing kit. The bore on my M95 carbine slugged at .332. The mold drops wheal weight bullits at .334. I would like to be able to gas check these to get up to 1800 fps. Is there any way to seat gas checks without sizing the bullet?

Sray

Scrounger
05-28-2005, 06:46 PM
I have the Lee 8x56r mould and sizing kit. The bore on my M95 carbine slugged at .332. The mold drops wheal weight bullits at .334. I would like to be able to gas check these to get up to 1800 fps. Is there any way to seat gas checks without sizing the bullet?

Sray

Get a .334 sizer. The gas check will be seated and sized down to that diameter but the bullet body won't be sized. You can order the Lee Push Through Sizer to whatever diameter you want. Last time I ordered a custom size, it was $25 shipped. Finding a sizer that size for a Lyman or RCBS might be tough, but maybe not.
I just noticed you already have a Lee sizing kit. What diameter is it, .330 or .332 or somewhere in that area? You can lap your existing sizer to the larger diameter in a short while if you like. I think Buckshot has instructions for doing that posted on this site or Castpics. Other guys have done it, too, and some use different methods, but he's the king of the oddball calibers, so you might as well get it directly from the horse's--uh--mouth. [smilie=l:
Here's that link to the article: http://www.castpics.net/RandD/hone_a_die/hone_a_die.htm

StarMetal
05-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Apparently some of those M95 Steyr's do have some fat bores. You see that Buckshot?

Joe

Buckshot
05-29-2005, 07:03 AM
Apparently some of those M95 Steyr's do have some fat bores. You see that Buckshot?

Joe

Joe, What? You mean the bore for groove thing, or you mean the .332"? 8-)

sray, it's okay. Joe's picking on me. However I think your bore is probably closer to .316" and your groove might be .332".

If you can tap the base of the boolit into a 338 (I assume thats what you're using) GC and it stays, and you can seat your boolits so the GC is in the neck of the case so it won't fall off then you might not have to actually crimp them on. Chances are slim due to the GC ID and then the short neck of the case doesn't give you much latitude in seating depth.

As Scrounger suggested, just open up your size die. There is only a narrow ring inside that does the actual sizing and you only have a few thou to open it up.

..............Buckshot

Oldfeller
05-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Steyr bores were re-rifled and rearsenalled after WWI by the victors to remove all the existing bore corrosion damage, etc. Everybody did this except the Italians, who were too cheap to fix up the old smoke poles.

If you have a "virigin bore" gun like Joe and Buckshot do it can be very tight to the re-arsenalled "nominal bore sizes". The guns were originally around .329" but when they were re-rifled they went out to .333". This is why LEE bullets are undersized to so many guns -- fear of the ones that the Italians got in WWI war reparations that they chose NOT to re-rifle.

If you choose to lap a re-rifled re-arsenalled one all the way out to bare metal then it can really be .333" diameter. Of course I never lapped the immortal snot out of mine to get rid of the effects of corrosive ammo, no sireee bob, not me .....

<g>

Oldfeller

I lapped the bore of mine so much you can fire full-sized soft cored .338 jacketed slugs - which are a proper fit to the lapped out throat - and they get sized down to .333" over the length of the trip down the bore. Most of the sizing takes place in the first 4 inches of bore but I have a solid thousanth of squeeze that takes place in the remaining 14 inches of tube. My old gun shoots jacketed MUCH better at higher speeds than it does cast, but this is situation is true of many "damaged bore" guns.

StarMetal
05-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Buckeroo

Yeah I mean the groove, geez. I'll bet you that if the groove is that large the bore is larger then ours too.

Joe