PDA

View Full Version : I scored a coup I think....

omgb
11-26-2006, 07:57 PM
So I managed to buy a very ugly 1903A3 that had been bubbad to the max. The stock had been cut, the rear sights removed and a stag horn pistol grip had been epoxied onto the stock. FUGLY! But, the bore looked good, the crown was excellent and the bolt matched the receiver. Plus, the barrel was marked 8-44 so, I figured this might be worth returning to service status. Cost me $65.00. I found an 03A3 stock complete with all of the metal except the front stacking band. The stock cost me $185. The front band set me back $9.00 from a parts dealer. I cleaned up the bore today and discovered that it is new...maybe 100 rounds if that. Put a bore scope down it and it's bright, shiney and the two grooves are sharp and crisp. Head space checks out too. So, photos to come next week. Looks like I got a great 03A3 for under $300. Oh, the rear sight was a wopping $35.00. If it shoots as good as it looking, I'm gonna be pleased.:castmine:

Bob S
11-26-2006, 08:34 PM
?? The U.S. never serialized bolts to receivers on 03A3's. If the bolt has a serial number, or part of one, it would indicate a return from a MAP program, most likely a recent return from Greece as sold by CMP.

From your parts list, it seems that it is getting expensive to rebuild one of these!! You will end up with a good shooter, though.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

omgb
11-26-2006, 11:41 PM
It's gotta be a reimport. The receiver is marked 'Century Arms"

Buckshot
11-28-2006, 12:00 AM
..............Reese, good deal on re-building the rifle! Thank God they didn't serial number every steenking pin, bolt and screw :-)

Bob S, speaking of parts I keep thinking of those waxed carboard cartons a few places were selling back in the mid 90's. Olive green, black printing on'em. They were divisional level spare parts for the 03A3 Springfield. No actions, wood, or barrels but plastic bags full of every other part on one. I think it started with 5 bolt bodies and as the parts got smaller and/or more consumable thier numbers on hand increased.

I hate to say what they cost each as I honestly do not recall, but I do remember them being cheap enough that a purchase wasn't going to keep you from eating very long.

................Buckshot

omgb
12-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey, it's done! I'll have photos on the morrow but for now, it's done, done, done. Damn thing nearly nickle and dimed me to death in the end. Lots of small parts that I didn't know I needed, the barrel band for one (the thing the top heat guard slips into up at the reciever, then a new site blade and pin since I certainly might buger up the old one installing the ring and ultimately, the bayonet front band cover thingy. The guy I bought the stock from was honest but i failed to ask about the ring thingy so, I got hit with shipping twice for extra parts, ouch! Any way, it's all together and it feels slick as snot. next weekend, if all goes well, I'll be able to take her out for a test fireing.[smilie=w:

omgb
12-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Photos as promissed. What do you think?

RayinNH
12-10-2006, 02:24 PM
RJ, looks very nice although I can't understand why you would change the Bubba stock:kidding:...Ray

omgb
12-10-2006, 07:09 PM
If you take a close look at the Bubba stock, you can see that it has excellent grain. This was an excellent "C" or maybe "S" style pistol grip stock. What a freeken waste. Good thing the old fart who "fixed" this didn't bob the barrel. If you think this work is weird, you should see what this guy did to Mausers ...it's almost too sad to relate.

Char-Gar
12-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Well... You must give Bubba some points for creativity and willingness to depart from tradtional stock design norms.

That being said, it is good to see an old soldier back in uniform and in shape to soldier on. You did good!

9.3X62AL
12-11-2006, 11:35 AM
That Bubba stock will give me nightmares for a week, I shouldn't have looked.

Very nicely done--an example to be proud of!

omgb
01-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Well, I had a chance to take the old girl out and run her through the paces. I fired re-configured LC 1968 MG ammo that I bought a couple of years back.

At 100 yards this rifle will turn in 2" groups much of the time and 3" groups all of the time (5 shot groups). the only fault I can find is that with the sight all the way down, the rifle shoots about 10" high at 100 yards. Perhaphs the replacement rear sight does not fit down on the receiver closely enough. There is a slight 1/16" gap between the base of the sight and the top of the reciever. When I fitted the sight, I had to heat the sight base to get it to slide onto the dovetail machined into the receiver. That may be the problem. Any way, since this is going to be a cast bullet rifle and since I will be shooting heavier bullets, the built in elevation may work out in my favor.

The trigger is very good, very controllable but it is two staged and it does have some long creep issues.

I'd be willing to bet that with better ammo, finer sights and a better marksman, this old girl would shoot almost MOA. As it is, it shoots as well or better than my tuned M1 Garand.

So, I did score a coup after all. :-D

db2
01-01-2007, 06:54 PM
omgb, have you pulled the front sight blade off? There were 5 different heights. They were marked with Upper case letters A-E, with A being the tallest E being the shortest. Maybe a taller blade will help you out.

db2

db2
01-01-2007, 06:55 PM
BTW your rifle looks nice. Love them A3's

db2

omgb
01-01-2007, 07:31 PM
You know, I actually replaced the front sight blade with a new one from Numrich. They didn't specify a number and I didn't ask. A taller blade would fix the problem for sure. I'm going to look into that. Thanks.

db2
01-02-2007, 10:44 AM
OK I dug up some numbers for you.

Front sight heights
A--.537
B--.522
C--.507
D--.492
E--.477

I have been told you can make a front blade by using a penny. I just looked and they look the same thickness, however my measuring tools are at work. I will measure them tonight and find out for sure.

Also if you do not get any takers for a taller sight try asking at the CMP fourm. There are some good people there willing to help out (They have for me).
http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/

db2

sundog
01-02-2007, 10:58 AM
I've made front sights using a plain ole common hardware washer. Works REAL good. Fit it, blue it, install, and trim as needed. sundog