PDA

View Full Version : 22 Cal Gas Checks

timkelley
03-11-2011, 10:15 PM
I have it in my pointy head that I once heard of someone trying to make 22 Gas Checks from used Large Primers. Anyone have any info?

Swede44mag
03-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Buy a checkmaker from Pat and make good/great checks. I don't know if the metal in primers would be good on the rifling of your favorite firearm. I have heard of using shotgun primers for partial jackets might have been for a 32acp though.

ReloaderFred
03-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Pistol and rifle primers are brass, so they wouldn't hurt the barrel. I save them and when I take my unusable brass to the recycler, I get the same price for the primers as I do the brass.

Most shotgun primers are made of steel. When I drop one on the floor when loading, I use a telescopic magnet to pick them up.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Charlie Sometimes
03-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Yes, there was someone who posted that they were making 22 GC's from spent Large Rifle primers using a series of small punches to open them up after removing the anvils.
I never found out what size punches they used.
It is tedious work, to say the least- I tried to modifiy ONE, and that was enough for me.
They are nearly the proper size for the purpose though.

I can check threads that I have posted on to find out- if you must have more details about who it was. IIRC, it was a couple of years ago.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I save my spent primers incase I need to ......
http://www.libertyreferences.com/reusable-primer.shtml
Jon

Charlie Sometimes
03-27-2011, 11:17 PM
I have a jar full (5 lb.) of spent primers just from one press.
I don't think that is a viable or reliable recycle process- very labor intensive.
I am going to melt mine and use the brass for knife bolsters, eventually. :smile:

seppos
03-29-2011, 04:10 AM
I have tried it, and it works.
One need to remove the anvil first and have two punches.. One that has a tapered end to expand the anvil and another with square end to form the base.

In the most simplest form one need a hard surface, those two punches, plyer or knife or screwdriver to pry the cup from the punch and hammer.

Anneal the primer cups first, as they are quite hard to form otherways.

Knock the cup open with the tapered punch, remove it from the punch, and square the base of it with the second punch.

It is a bit time consuming work with simplest tools, and it would be better to make tooling for reloading or arbor press if one consider seriously on using the primer cups as gas checks.

S