PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 452460 problems

Flintlockrecord
03-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Just bought this Lyman 452460 and seem to be having some problems with it. I hav'nt tinkered with it yet. The boolits are very hard to release untill the mould is really hot, then I get this problem.

The top band is tearing. The pic on left is typical of most of the affected boolits. The right pic is a really bad one when I wasn't paying attention. Even when the mould is up to temp they are still hard to release.

I guess some leementing (or should that be lymenting) is in order.

shotman
03-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Kroil and you are opening mold too fast add some tin and slow down they will work a 45 will heat fast and get too hot

btroj
03-11-2011, 09:52 PM
The lead isn't fully hardened, the mold is way too hot, and it looks to be a pretty hard alloy.
Clean the mould well, look for burrs in the cavities, and keep the mould cooler during casting.

I find that hard alloys with a hot mould will give this every time.

Brad

cbrick
03-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Yep, they are correct. Way too much heat, I'd say both the mould temp and the pot temp is too hot.

The reason bullets fall from the mold is because as they cool they shrink and no longer fit the cavity that made them. If everything is too hot and you try to get them out of the mold too soon they haven't yet shrank enough to release.

Rick

oldhickory
03-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Agree with all the above. I just got a new 452460 this week and it does great! I would treat it like a new mold, clean it, kroil it, let it sit over night, and begin new. Try holding it in front of a fan for a few seconds until the sprue hardens and changes tone, if the sprue doesn't cut rather than tears, it's still too hot. I made about 18lb. of nice boolits with mine Thursday evening.;)

runfiverun
03-13-2011, 02:14 AM
i'd look for a burr there.
if it's the same cav and spot each time you got a rolled over edge.
you could find it with a q-tip also.

stubshaft
03-13-2011, 02:42 AM
Too hot and casting too fast. I would also go over the cavity with Kroil to clean any grease or debris out.

MtGun44
03-15-2011, 09:23 PM
you may want to put a screw into the base of a boolit and smear with a VERY fine abrasive
and spin in the mold to clean up any burrs. This typically makes boolits drop very nicely.

Bill

Flintlockrecord
03-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks Guys for your thoughts.
Of all the moulds I have, this one is the most dificult to get the boolits to drop from.
I bought this one second hand and I think it may have had a hard life.

I'll be trying some of your suggestions soon.

Thanks again.
Ian