PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight pots and turkey fryers

imashooter2
11-26-2006, 04:15 PM
A question for those of you that use a Harbor Freight Dutch oven on a turkey fryer:

Do you use the 12 inch diameter 6 quart, or the 10 inch diameter 4 quart model?

Buckshot
11-26-2006, 08:34 PM
....................I bought the 6 qt one.

............Buckshot

mike in co
11-26-2006, 08:56 PM
50 Cal Ammo Can Holds In Excess Of 120 Lbs And Costs Next To Nothing!

montana_charlie
11-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Mine is a four quart cast iron pot.

I have a two quart cast aluminum saucepan I use for mixing lead/tin alloy...but only 20 pounds at a time.
CM

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-27-2006, 02:34 PM
I've found that a narrower and taller pot seems to work better for me than a shorter, wider pot. Don't know if that helps or not, but depth of melt helps when you're skimming clips off the top and when you're dipping out to fill the ingot molds.

Hope this makes sense,

Dave

imashooter2
12-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Well, Christmas has come with the expected turkey fryer. The 4 quart dutch oven that looked pretty big next to my old 2.5 quart stainless pot looks tiny in the middle of it. I'm going to exchange it for the 6 quart model tomorrow.

Headed for a match at the range that gives me my free scrap on January 7th... Hope I can score a few buckets so I can give this thing a proper try out!

wills
12-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Six quarts is about 142 pounds of lead. Be sure you dont spill it.

imashooter2
12-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Six quarts is about 142 pounds of lead. Be sure you dont spill it.
That's why I bought the 4 quart to start with... But it seems to me the fryer will actually be better off with the larger pot when I look at the support system. Anyway, I will stack on a proof load before I melt anything. Thanks for thinking of my wellbeing!

j. clark
12-25-2006, 08:41 PM
I found a 20 qt. dutch oven that I can dump a full 5 gallon bucket of ww in. It works great and really speeds things up a bunch!!

Dye
12-25-2006, 09:01 PM
iamashooter2
A couple of suggestions, take a good look at the Lyman aluminum ingot moulds with the wood handle.
Also get a set of letter and number stamps from Harbor Freight and stamp your ignots,when you get a ton or so it is easier to keep track of what you have

Be carefull Dye

imashooter2
12-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the links and advice guys, but I'm all set with the tools of the trade... I just got a Christmas upgrade in batch capacity is all.:)

tomf52
12-28-2006, 05:15 AM
Dye - For a few bucks more than the number and letter stamps you can get an electric pencil (engraving tool) that you can mark your ingots with in no time flat.

imashooter2
12-28-2006, 09:28 AM
I use a black permanent magic marker for putting ID on the ingots or the bucket the ingots are stored in. That system has been working well for me over the years.

Scored 137 pounds of WW from the scrap yard when we went to turn in our aluminum cans yesterday. Pains me to pay cash money for WW, but I forgot my scrap brass and it seemed a crime to come away from a place with WW available empty handed. That gives me a bucket of range scrap and a bucket of WW for the first run with the fryer. I'm going to wait till after the match on the 7th to light it up. Hopefully I'll have a few more buckets of range scrap from the trip north.

Dye
12-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Dye - For a few bucks more than the number and letter stamps you can get an electric pencil (engraving tool) that you can mark your ingots with in no time flat.

Tom52
I have tried engraver and magic marker but like the stamps better. Also bending over stamping helps to control my big belly.
Be carefull Dye