PDA

View Full Version : Ww ?

LeeRoy
03-11-2011, 11:58 AM
I am just getting into casting again. I cast a few boolits a # of years ago.

I have read that WW are on the way out. I was give a 1gal can of mixed WW. When I was taking a couple of valve stems out, I saw a couple weights marked Zn, I take it these are Zinc and a no-no in the pot.

The question is what to watch for when melting WW ?

What do the markings stand for, Fe, Zn, P and so forth ?

Thanks for any help.

LeeRoy

WILCO
03-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Read these threads:

How to weed out rejects from your wheel weights:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=45195&highlight=wheel+weight+markings

Wheel Weight Rogue's Gallery (the Good & the Bad but no ugly):

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17681&highlight=wheel+weight+markings

Wheel weight markings???:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19961&highlight=wheel+weight+markings

x101airborne
03-11-2011, 12:49 PM
I throw everything into a pot and heat it up slowly while using a thermometer to monitor the melt. The Zn, Fe, and Al float to the top, the rubber and such are burned off for flux, and the trash is removed into a bucket. On average my ingots are running around 12 BHN (That is an AVERAGE). Do not allow your melt to go over 700, and you do not have to worry about contaminants.

birdadly
03-11-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm just starting out too and I believe there's Lead, Iron, steel and Zinc WWs perhaps. Someone with more knowledge will have to answer but from reading here I think Lead has the lowest melting temp, so the other WWs just float on top and get skimmed off. Granted, make it easier and just don't put those into the melting pot :)

2 shops I've asked for WWs at say they've already gone to all Steel WWs. They've joined a program called BADA I guess that wants to be green :(

Here's hoping we can find more Lead ones before they go out of style!!!

LeeRoy
03-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the links, I will read them later today.

Due to my limited ablities, I have little luck the the search bottons and the forums that I am a member of.

LeeRoy

45-70 Ranger
03-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Man, I know the feeling some others are talking about as to trying to locate WW! Every tire shop in the area said they sell their old WW to recycle people and will not let any of us shooters have a single one. I'm down to casting scrap lead that one of my employees brings me.

Wade

Ole
03-11-2011, 01:42 PM
The medical isotope containers are a great casting alloy if you can't find wheel weights.

I melted one of the 31# large cores a month or so ago. Finally cast some boolits out of it about a week ago and that stuff is a dream to cast with.

They run about a buck a pound, which isn't free, but is still a lot cheaper than shooting jacketed bullets.

merlin101
03-11-2011, 08:12 PM
I had just about given up on ww, it was either we send them to the battery guy or "some guy just picked em up":( TILL TODAY:drinks: 3 full buckets and 1/2 bucket of brand new unused ww!! WOO-HOO That makes 4 buckets full and a couple hundred lbs of isiotope lead. Got propane, just waiting on the weath:mrgreen:er

hydraulic
03-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Merlin: I was given a quantity of new unused WW's and traded them to the local car dealer in return for twice as many used WW's.

LeeRoy
03-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I have not had much luck finding WW's so I will resort to buying some lead.

LeeRoy

Duckiller
03-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately lead wheel weights are probably a relic of the past. Many States have outlawed them. My source was allowed to use up the lead he had on hand then he had to replace with "non-toxic" after 1-1-11. Lead stick ons have been used and he is now installing steel weights. Clip ons are still lead. There are several sources of various lead alloys that you can buy locally. sooner or later this is what we are all going to have to go to.