PDA

View Full Version : Lee Mold For Tumble Lubing?

t_dickinson
03-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi folks,

I have piled thorugh the endless posts and have not found an answer though I know it's in the haystack somewhere. If I may ask a question that has already been asked...

I am brand new to casting and don't have any equipment so here is what I think I will buy according to what I've read.

*Wheel weights bought at around .30/lb with the stick-ons seperated (got my first bucket and secured 4 sources so I'm ready to commit).

* Lyman 4th edition casting book.

* Turkey fryer and 6 qt. dutch oven

* Lee single stage with the cheap sizer kits

* Tumble lube process I found here.

* Lee 20lb furnace

* Lee 6 cavity molds.

Hope I got the list right.

Here is my question or two.

1. Do I need a TL mold or can I TL any boolit with the same results if the diameter is correct? I'm looking for 148 gr. HBWC mold but can't find one (I shoot BE with a S&W 52-2 but if a DEWC gets the same accuracy that's fine) and 200 gr. SCW in .45

2. All this stuff about percentages and alloy mixing is pretty intimidating. If I use only clip ww can I just use those straight to make boolits without mixing in other metals? I will be firing mostly .38 and .45 ACP for target and bowling pin. May do some 9mm for target also.

Please don't jump me if I've gone too long or mixed threads. I'm still getting the hang of this site.

A. in NH

lonewelder
03-11-2011, 12:51 PM
TL works on any bullet with velocity and fit the deciding factor.38,45 should be fine with TL.

WW will work fine but you might find 50/50 stic on/clip on more accurate

you might also think about starting with a 2 cav mold.6 cav are a little harder to run when learning to cast.A hot plate will help with preheating molds.Work on good boolits first,big piles latter!Sorry about the screwed up typing something wrong with keyboard.Maybe if I drop it again!

Cowboy T
03-11-2011, 07:29 PM
.38 Special! Youse is speakin' my language, Paisan! :-) That's the round I load up and cast for the most.

I started with the 6-cavity moulds and am very glad that I did. They totally rock, and the handle on the sprue plate makes things way easier. Sure, they take a little practice, but that's true of any mould. It took me longer to figure out how to use MiHec's hollow-point moulds!

With any Lee aluminum mould, I've found I don't need to bother with preheating the mould, even in the dead of snowy winter. What matters, regardless of outside temperature, is that you run your pot kinda warm, probably about 725 to 750 deg. F. However, I definitely agree with first working on getting good boolits before worrying about speed. Take your time at first, and follow the directions that come with the mould. You'll get it.

Now, for tumble lubing. Agreed, you can tumble-lube any style of boolit. I TL all of mine, and all but two of my moulds are actually of the TL type. All the rest are of the traditional lube groove variety.

For alloy mixing, you want to match your boolit's strength (aka "hardness") to the pressure of your load. Since you're shooting HBWC's, I take it you're shooting a fairly light load. That means softer tends to be better. I therefore second lonewelder's suggestion of mixing 50% "clipped" wheel weights and 50% "clipless" weights. That should get you to about BHN 8-9, which is optimal for the typical HBWC load.

BTW, you might also consider Lee's 358-105-SWC mould. This is what I use for light target practice loads. Looks just like a Crayola tip. Not only is it just great for .38 Special (its originally intended use), but it's also good for 9mm Parabellum applications.

Cowboy T
03-11-2011, 07:41 PM
One other thing. For typical .45 ACP pressures of 17,000 to 21,000 PSI, I would suggest straight clip-on WW. The BHN is 11-12, which is optimal for those types of pressures. That's also true if you're doing "standard load", i. e. not reduced HBWC load, .38 Special. That also, therefore, includes .38 Spl +P.

I shoot a lot of SAAMI-spec .45 Colt. The max pressure is 14,000 PSI. That means I use the same 50/50 mix that both lonewelder and I are suggesting that you use. Try it...you'll like it....MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Oh--my manners--almost forgot! Welcome to the addiction, Brother.