PDA

View Full Version : Winchester .22 wooden box collector value?

6bg6ga
03-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Is this of any value? Bought this years ago.

WILCO
03-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Cabela’s thinks so:

http://www.cabelas.com/rimfire-ammunition-winchester-22-wood-box-1.shtml

"The Cabela’s-exclusive second-edition collectible includes 500 rounds of Winchester Wildcat .22 LR ammunition with 40-gr. lead round-nose bullets packed into a slide-top pine box. Featuring Cabela’s and Winchester logos, the presentation-quality box makes an attractive addition to your gear room and can be used to store rimfire ammo or other small items.
Box dimensions: 6-3/8"L x 3-1/2"W x 3-1/8"H. "

shooterg
03-11-2011, 07:25 PM
I've seen the wooden Super-X boxes for $10 EMPTY on show tables. I think that's what I paid for mine when they came with 500 Super-X cartridges in 'em !

6bg6ga
03-12-2011, 07:55 AM
I seem to recall paying around $10.00 for it years ago full of ammo. I thought maybe the 1st generation might have gained some value by now.

jh45gun
03-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Why do you think that it would be worth anything it is a reproduction.

6bg6ga
03-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Quote:

A reproduction? Please explain. Its a first edition box not a second edition.

gnoahhh
03-13-2011, 05:37 PM
You're both right. It's a first edition repro of an old design. Still doesn't make it worth very much. May be most valuable as a bullet storage container.

Dennis Eugene
03-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Guy didn't know and asked a simple question didn't deserve a reply such as this. And that's my opinion. Dennis

jh45gun
03-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Guy didn't know and asked a simple question didn't deserve a reply such as this. And that's my opinion. Dennis

I do not see anything wrong with my comment as it is what it is a reproduction and most reproductions are not worth anything except maybe what the price was when some one bought it new. I was not bashing the guy just stating the obvious.

6bg6ga
03-14-2011, 07:04 AM
Quote:

I do not see anything wrong with my comment as it is what it is a reproduction and most reproductions are not worth anything except maybe what the price was when some one bought it new. I was not bashing the guy just stating the obvious.

It came off as somewhat bashing in my opinion. I asked a simple damn question. If its a reproduction of an older design then how about some info? What year was the "original"? The reason I asked is it seems that everything old is starting to get a following and I happened to see one at a dealers table at a gun show for a good chunk of change. That prompted my question but I am learning on this forum its who you are that allows you to post such a question. I am learning that I have no place here and maybe I should not frequent it any more or possibly not post and or certainly not start a thread. I am sorry that I had the stupidity to start this thread.

gnoahhh
03-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Don't forget, this is an international forum on the internet. God only knows how many people from all walks of life, all personality types, levels of knowledge, levels of tolerance, etc. read and post here. One can't be too thin skinned if one wishes to dip their toes in the water, so to speak. I have found that this forum, out of many I've checked out, has a much higher level of tolerance for "dumb" questions (whatever that is) and a high level of collegial sharing of information without resorting to flaming. In other words- a great bunch of guys. But, just like when you put a couple thousand people in a room together there's bound to be someone who is crossways to having a good day and will speak in a manner that someone around him will be offended by. It's just human nature, and sometimes the anonymity of the internet encourages it.

Fear not, and don't refrain from posting.

Those boxes were commonly used in varying sizes back in the days before cardboard was the shipping container of choice for cartridges in wholesale quantities, up 'til WWII maybe? 99% of them got busted up for kindling or used for myriads of secondary storage. Very few have survived intact and thus fetch a pretty penny to collectors. I have seen most ammo makers introduce retro packaging of one form or another over the last 30-40 years, some of which have attained collect-ability in their own right. That's a phenomenon I truly don't understand, but there it is. To me, that box would have some utility as a cast bullet storage box, and nothing more. Someone else may have the wild-eyed belief that it's a hugely valuable "collector's item" and put it out on their gun show table with a hefty price tag. Bottom line: it's worth to you is what it's worth to you.

Hardcast416taylor
03-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Obviously some of the responders has never heard the response, "There is no such thing as a silly question - merely the questioner would like to know"!Robert

jh45gun
03-17-2011, 02:05 AM
Quote:

It came off as somewhat bashing in my opinion. I asked a simple damn question. If its a reproduction of an older design then how about some info? What year was the "original"? The reason I asked is it seems that everything old is starting to get a following and I happened to see one at a dealers table at a gun show for a good chunk of change. That prompted my question but I am learning on this forum its who you are that allows you to post such a question. I am learning that I have no place here and maybe I should not frequent it any more or possibly not post and or certainly not start a thread. I am sorry that I had the stupidity to start this thread.

Then you are pretty thin skinned as I did not call you any names nor did I insinuate you were dumb or any thing like that all I said was why would you think it was worth anything as it is a repo. If you bought it new for ten bucks then you knew it was not an old time ammo box.