PDA

View Full Version : Huge quake and tsunami,right now in japan

Throckmorton
03-11-2011, 03:30 AM
the Oregon and Wa coast lines are on allert this morning,not much happening here thankfully.
Just woke up to new footage from japan,the power of that wave is just beyond belief.!

prayers for everyone over there,the devestation is just staggering.

stubshaft
03-11-2011, 03:40 AM
I'm getting suplies ready as they expect it to hit Hawaii at around 0259 tomorrow.

Ironnewt
03-11-2011, 03:54 AM
One of the guys I work with (in another part of the building) has CNN on one of the TV's that is on 24/7. He called me to check it out. May God help those people.

ihmsakiwi
03-11-2011, 04:34 AM
I'm getting suplies ready as they expect it to hit Hawaii at around 0259 tomorrow.

Our payers are with you and we wish you and all Hawaiians well. Keep safe, and keep your powder dry. Peter.

waksupi
03-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Tsunami watch now in effect for California, Oregon, and Washington. Conditions are such that significant activity could occur.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-11-2011, 08:03 AM
That is amazing footage. Very scary also.

casterofboolits
03-11-2011, 08:05 AM
The wife is trying to contact her elder sister in a Tokyo suburb right now. The rest of the family are near the Japanese Alps in Tochigi-ken far inland, so should be safe.

gray wolf
03-11-2011, 10:40 AM
My prayers are with all the folks that are in the way of this tragic event.
My goodness these things happen so fast. Thank you for the info.

Sam

PatMarlin
03-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Hope everyone's OK.

Wouldn't ya know it, my wife, her mother, and sis-in law, just flew into Costa Rico San Jose yesterday headed for the coast.

I say just stay home.. :mrgreen:

9.3X62AL
03-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah, down this way the 1'-3' waves are supposed to hit in 20 minutes or so, and coincide with low tide. This might not be too bad--I hope.

sargenv
03-11-2011, 01:21 PM
SF is still here.. business as usual... not sure how it is on the coast...

flhroy
03-11-2011, 03:14 PM
My daughter lives in Narita which is about an hours train ride from Tokyo. After watching that news footage of the that tsunami surge, I had few tense minutes. I thank God that my daughter was able to get on line and post on face-book that she was okay. My heart and prayers go out to all those affected by this tragedy.

Von Gruff
03-11-2011, 04:48 PM
The severity has been quoted as from 8.4 to 8.9 and whichever it is the effect has been tragic. Being centered 130km off shore leaves one being thankfull that it was no closer to the land.

Von Gruff.

Blammer
03-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I don't know, I think they'd have rather had the whole earthquake and no tsunami that what they got.

Duckiller
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
No one wants to be anywhere near an 8+ earthquake. a 5 will raise your blood pressure a little bit, much bigger and it can get serious real fast. As 8.5 or greater quake this was one of the all time big ones and nothing good is associated with it. After shocks are going to be bigger than lots of quakes and these can cause all sorts of damage.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-11-2011, 06:04 PM
A nuclear plant in Japan is in serious trouble right now. Fox news just reported that the radioactivity inside the reactor is a thousand times higher than normal.

leadman
03-11-2011, 09:21 PM
How did our members in New Zeeland and Austrailia fare with any tsumai activity? Do we have any members in Japan?

My nephew and his girlfriend are in Aukland New Zeeland. Just e-mailed him to check on their status.

Checked a map on-line produced by the NZ civil defence and it looks like they should be o.k. Hope so.

JeffinNZ
03-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Nothing major down here. Small waves. Maybe a foot or two.

Looks like NZ rescue teams will get to return the favour to Japan sooner than we have hoped.

I have friends stuck at the Narita airport. They were due into Shakin' Christchurch today but are hold up in JP still. Safe but stuck.

bruce drake
03-12-2011, 01:27 AM
I don't think we'll have many Japanese members due to the country's extremely strict gun laws.

But if we have anyone over there, I know we'll do our best to help them.

Bruce

casterofboolits
03-12-2011, 07:28 AM
Was able to contact the wife's elder brother last night, the whole family are safe. Thank God.

I doubt very much we have any members in Japan due to thier gun laws unless they are xpats. Under no circumstance can a Japanese citizen own a hand gun, only rifles and shotguns. The long arms must be kept in a police armory and can only be checked out for specific approved activities. Hunting/trap, etc. The police can inspect your home at any time you have the fire arm checked out with out notice. The firearm is not allowed to be assembled other than in the field or the range.

A friend almost lost his license as he cleaned his shotgun, assembled it and hung it on the wall assembled, stepped back to admire it and two cops came in the door! Bad luck.

leadman
03-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I was thinking more of members that were visiting Japan or working there for companies based in other countries.

Glad our members in Nw Zeeland and Aus appear to be good.

PatMarlin
03-12-2011, 02:27 PM
My daughter lives in Narita which is about an hours train ride from Tokyo. After watching that news footage of the that tsunami surge, I had few tense minutes. I thank God that my daughter was able to get on line and post on face-book that she was okay. My heart and prayers go out to all those affected by this tragedy.

That is great news. The damage and potential fall out from nukes is scary.

Imagine what's going on through the minds of the folks over there in their late 80's?

9.3X62AL
03-12-2011, 02:43 PM
From what I can glean from news sources, the only significant damage along CA's southern third of its shoreline was in Mission Bay, where tidal surges from the tsunami (about 3 feet each way) dislodged a bait barge from its moorings and buckled it. Some Central Coast and North Coast harbors had boat, slip, and pier damage in varying degrees--significant, in some cases.

JeffinNZ
03-13-2011, 04:06 AM
Our friends arrived in Christchurch today safe, well and shattered. Out of the frying pan into the fire however. They are heading south for a few weeks.

They said the organisation at Narita airport was amazing. Everyone got a sleeping bag, water, food and a place to sleep. Now we are not talking about a bus load here. Probably 5000!

Beekeeper
03-13-2011, 09:40 AM
To anyone interested.
My wifes family is in Japan and we have been awake for 2 days trying to contact them.
Finally got through late last night.
Approx 60% of the country is destroyed as there have been 25 after quakes that have spawned tsunammis.
So far Sasebo where the family lives is safe but the devastation continues to get worse and drives farther south with each aftershock.
At present there are 10,000 known dead and 15,000 missing.
There are 5 reactors there and three are totally decimated and 2 are near nuclear explosion do to lack of cooling..
Since we have finally found out about our family I am going to get some sleep and try to calm my wife.

Jim

troyboy
03-13-2011, 11:14 AM
God bless the poor souls. Pray for the poeples of Japan. This is just beyond all imagination. We can only hope and pray that they get those nuke power plants under control. All those poeple....... such a tragic event.......wish I could help.