PDA

View Full Version : Encore barrels

leftiye
03-11-2011, 02:08 AM
I was going to buy another contender frame, but lost my mind and got an Encore instead. I have wanted one for a long time.

Now, I'm having trouble deciding on a caliber, and I don't like the prices much either. I'm considering building my own like Swede Larson used to do for the Handi rifles. Of the calibers that are offered I'm split between a .300 Win. Mag., the 338 Winchester Mag., and the .375 H&H Mag. I think the .375 would be a superb cast boolit all around gun. After all, they work well on jackrabbits, don't they?

Does anybody know of a discount source for these barrels, new or used? Better still, is there a source for unusual calibers (Bulberry still doesn't have enough)? Does Bellm still make barrels? Thanks, Ted

stubshaft
03-11-2011, 04:06 AM
Check Match Grade Machine (MGM) they make the majority of barrels that I shoot now. They are not the cheapest but their quality is exceptional.

rhbrink
03-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Look around for used barrels there is a forum on Greg Beard that is for selling Encore parts and stuff. There are some other places too. Most of the used barrels haven't been used that much especially the hard kickers and are usually priced about 1/2 to 2/3 list. As for new TC barrels they are sure getting proud of them and I wouldn't spend the money on one myself I would consider a MGM barrel first heard a lot of good things about them. I have bought two used barrels and have very pleased with the results.

leftiye
03-11-2011, 09:36 PM
I looked for the forum on Greybeard, but couldn't find it. Any help would be appreciated.

rhbrink
03-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Go to http://www.go2gbo.com/ you may have register to get to the good stuff it doesn't cost anything and is worth it. Lots of Contender, Encore, and Handi rifle stuff on there.

Good luck

HEAD0001
03-12-2011, 02:39 AM
IMO the best forum for looking for Contender and Encore barrels is the "Specialty Pistols" forum. There are some great prices and selection of used barrels on that forum. I have bought four barrels from that forum over the last few months. Tom.

onesonek
03-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Another option is,,,Midway is carrying Bergara barrels, they are somewhat less costly than the TC factory barrels.
I'm not sure what you mean by "build my own",,,, If you are talking of custom, then mentioned MGM is a good place that is not much higher than TC factory, and they will set it up the way you want it. SSK Industries is another.
Now personally I'm not a fan of belted rounds in the Encore. Some other's may have found different, but it just seems the extactor and belt don't get along the best I have found. I just prefer rim or rimless designs myself.
While brass isn't cheap, I elected to the 9.3x74R, and it comes close to the .375 H&H performance in the Encore. If I was wanting more out of a lesser case, I would consider the .30-06 AI, .338-06 AI or .35 Whelen AI. They won't equal the belted rounds, but be close enough for me. MGM also offers the .338-74R Keith I believe, another good one.
The too there are the JDJ rounds based on the .444 brass. They aren't speed demons, but good rounds none the less.

just my thoughts,,, but each to their own

Packy
03-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Check out Eds contenders www.edstc.com he has lots of contender barrels and encore barrels. Used and new.

leadman
03-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Natchez also carries the Bergara barrels. I have bought several, but hit or miss on quality and accuracy.
Bellm works over the Bergara barrels and supposedly they are better.

45nut
03-12-2011, 12:26 PM
grafs has them too,, they even have a 416 rigby on sale.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Go to http://www.go2gbo.com/ you may have register to get to the good stuff it doesn't cost anything and is worth it. Lots of Contender, Encore, and Handi rifle stuff on there.

Good luck

:brokenima THATS THE PLACE

aaalaska
03-15-2011, 01:18 AM
Specialty pistols forum classifieds often have barrels.
Alex

Four Fingers of Death
03-16-2011, 12:25 AM
The Bergera Bbls from BellM are about $US250-299 and T/C Encore Barrels out her sell for $AU800 plus, which is about $US790! Any Aussies lurking who know who is importing these barrels?