PDA

View Full Version : Good Entry level 1911

Matt3357
03-11-2011, 12:51 AM
I have been thinking about this for a while and I really want a 45. I was going to get a S&W M&P45 but haven't pulled the trigger, so to speak. They run about $600 after its all said and done. The more I think about it, though, the more I want to jump into a 1911. Get a nice base model I can upgrade later. So lets beat this dead horse one more time if you will please. What is a good entry level 1911 that I won't have to sell a kidney for?

Matt

August
03-11-2011, 01:58 AM
I have received excellent customer service from Springfield. In fact, as good as our usual benchmarks, Dillon and RCBS.

The gun is 100% after an initial break in period of a couple hundred rounds.

What ever you get, juice it up good with oil and shoot it a lot to get it going. Good magazines make a big difference too.

cbunt1
03-11-2011, 03:13 AM
Just about any of the 1911's on the market are an excellent starting point. You'll most likely want to dump the magazines that come with it for a couple of Wilsons, Mec-Gars, or McCormicks.

The really good news about 1911's is that short of a *****'d frame, there's nothing that can't be fixed about one that doesn't run right, and almost all of it is inexpensive to do.

The really bad news about 1911's is that short of being a retired billionaire, you'll never find that "nirvana" state with them...there's always another doo-dad or part to play with. All are cool, most are fine, a few aren't worth the acetylene you'll use to melt em down!

For a starting point, I like the High-Standards, Springers, and even the Charles Daly's (or whoever stamping their name on em today). Para's GI Expert seems to be a well built gun too.

keyhole
03-11-2011, 05:53 AM
I bought a Para Gi Expert Nov' of 2009. It was $470, which I thought was a really good price. They're probably more now. Have shot about 800 rds of 452374 RN and 452460 SWC cast from wheelweights. Feeds them without problem. Accuracy has been more than I expected. Trigger pull is not bad, not as crisp as Series 70 Gold Cup or Kimber Classic Target but better than others I've tried. Small parts are MIM (metal injection molding, I believe) which some people don't like. The Para Kote finish is not very durable and has worn off from some high spots even though it has never been in a holster. But for the price I can overlook that. For the money, I am very pleased.

NickSS
03-11-2011, 06:16 AM
It is interesting that you come up with this question today. I am a long time 1911 fan and have owned several dozen over the years of all sorts from guns put together from parts to ones built by name brand custom smiths. Today I was at my local gun store and they had a Citadel 1911 in stock. Actually two of them one was a full size GI and the other was an Officer sized pistol. The first thing that grabbed me about them is that they come with several custom features including a beaver tail, skeleton hammer, long trigger, and enlarged ejection port. The second thing I saw was that they are well fit and smooth working and the triggers are excellent in both that I handled. The third thing I noticed was the price of Under $500. They both looked really well made and I was totally surprised at the relatively low price. Right now I have the hots to add the compact model to my collection and it would have gone home with me if I had the cash on me.

NHlever
03-11-2011, 09:41 AM
I have had good luck with both the Springfields, and High Standard 1911's that I've tried. I have a lightweight Commander sized S&W 1911 right now, and am still getting used to it. I'm not an experienced 1911 shooter ( carried one in Vietnam), and am just gettiing into auto pistols, but these worked well for me. Next ( you see where this goes?) I'm kind of looking at full sized 1911's, and like the looks of the Springfield Armory "Range Officer". The price range of the RIA's, High Standards, etc. is such that I would avoid "parts guns", etc., and just get something right from the factory to start with.

7br
03-11-2011, 09:53 AM
I picked a used Rock Island Armory fullsize for $325 on gunbroker. About the only thing I am going to do is replace the sights and buy a couple more magazines. I think it will cost about $50 for the smithing and about $35 for the sights. Ask me about it at the end of the summer.

bobthenailer
03-11-2011, 09:54 AM
I never had one that i wasent satisfied with , colt , springfield , para ordance , caspian, I have a few of each brand

clintsfolly
03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Take a look at a Rock Island Tactical. I got a GI and did all the mod to make a tactical and learned a lot but spent more money! Just be careful they will Breed in the safe 4yrs age got one today there,s 4 in there and all want to go to the range!!! have fun Clint

Phat Man Mike
03-11-2011, 05:31 PM
I bought a RIA C/S for the girly and had to buy the two tone for myself! both are good shooters :)

bobthenailer
03-11-2011, 05:43 PM
IF I was buying a 1911 I would not buy the entry level gun , I would buy one with more options / goodies [ae] mid level at least better sights/ trigger / beavertail grip saftey ect. in the end its the most econmical way to go .
If you cant afford the mid level pistol ? save your money for a little longer until you can .

Groo
03-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Groo here
My smith just went over an ATI he was impressed with the fit...

Lloyd Smale
03-11-2011, 05:59 PM
id recomend you look at an sti spartan.

Char-Gar
03-11-2011, 06:04 PM
I don't have one, but have shot several Taurus 1911s. They have been all first rate. There are others folks whose opinions I know and trust that recommend the Taurus without hesitation for an entry level 1911.

waco
03-11-2011, 09:55 PM
i love my Kimber custom classic

That'll Do
03-13-2011, 08:38 PM
So far I have 4 1911's. Two Kimbers and two Springers. I am 100% satisfied with both brands, and I'll likely buy more of then in the future.

If I was buying my first 1911, I'd probably look at Kimber's Custom II, or the Springfield Loaded series.

jhrosier
03-13-2011, 09:31 PM
I just picked up a new Remington 1911R1 Saturday.
It went for just a bit over $600.
I'm very impressed with the fit & finish. The trigger was passable and will probably improve with more use.
I only got to fire 50 rounds of Winchester 230 gr FMJ so far. The gun functioned perfectly.
I put a bunch of shots into about 2" at 50 feet.
I really like the sights. Both front and rear are higher and wider than milspec sights and are both in dovetail cuts and secured by setscrews. The sights were about 1" off to the left and right on point of aim for elevation with the factory ball ammo. I won't adjust them until I get a load worked up.
The gun comes with 2 mags that appear to be very good quality and a bushing wrench.

Jack

Jack Stanley
03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
I bought a Springfield way back when you could get them for less than three hundred bucks . It has run right from the start and never needed any work to keep it running . I did have a Videcki trigger installed and put a wide grip safety on it . Other than having a set of used Kimber sights on it ( when the knuckle-head acid dipped the slide to get that nasty parkerizing off so he could black oxide the slide :sad:)

Now I have a gun I can shoot pretty well for an old guy that doesn't shoot a handgun much . It does look goofy with the nice green original finish frame and a black oxide slide . Maybe someday I'll find someone who can fix it right .

I don't know what the new ones are like but this one is a good one and Springfield has been good to me with other guns I've had fixed .

Jack

ItZaLLgooD
03-14-2011, 04:58 AM
I got a PT1911 SS last year for $650. 8 months and 3000 rounds later still no problems. I am a very cheap person. A comparable Kimber/Springfield was $250 -300 more. While definitely nicer machines, I just wanted a gun to have fun with. I had a GI model from Springfield a while back and got rid of it because of the small sights and cost to replace them.

Swede44mag
03-14-2011, 10:18 AM
I have had 4 Colt Gold cups the first was the best the other 3 were ok. I had a blue Springfield it was a ***. The best one I have had was a Colt Government SS I had a Bomar rear site put on it shot great until I had a case of the ******* and traded it off for another Gold Cup big mistake. BTW I had a Kimber Classic Target and another case of the ******* trade fever.

I now have a Ruger Vaquero 45 Colt and don't have to pickup empty’s my back loves me for it.

If I buy another 45 911 I will try to get one setup from the factory.

mtgrs737
03-15-2011, 01:07 AM
You can't beat all the features on a Taurus PT 1911 for the money. I have one and it impresses the heck out of me a previous Colt and Springfield man.

Down South
03-15-2011, 11:55 AM
You might want to look at the new Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911. I've read a lot of good reports on them.

Matt3357
03-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Well I did some looking and have decided on the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec edition. One level above the base GI model. It is around $600 out the door. My brother is getting his FFL soon so I am going to wait on that. Maybe my tax refund will go to some good use.

Matt

Artful
03-16-2011, 01:59 AM
Well I have several (colt, para ord, even down to LLAMA) but if I was looking for another I'd say Taurus or High Standard - for the money they both deliver a lot.

Moonie
03-16-2011, 01:19 PM
I've had Springfield and Kimber, my current 1911 is a Taurus.

casterofboolits
03-17-2011, 10:14 AM
If you don't have a buddy for a pistol smith a quarter mile from you, buy a Colt. The new ones are the best they have ever made. Entry level means more money down the road to me. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

There are six in the safe right now, two Colts, two Para's, two comped 1911 parts guns. I had a case of the ******* too and sold two comped Colts that can't be replaced as my pistol smith has passed on.