PDA

View Full Version : Will Zinc Contribute To Leading?

BulletFactory
03-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Title says it all. I put some of my alloy in a bit of muratic acid, and it fizzed a bit, so I guess I have zinc in the alloy, but would this contribute to the leading that I've been dealing with?:groner:

03-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Leading? No.

Zincing? I don't know.

fecmech
03-11-2011, 12:02 AM
I don't know that zinc in an alloy is the end of the world. I screwed up 2 smelts this fall with zinc. One I tossed behind the garage to play with later but the other I lowered the temp and kept skimming the "oatmeal" off. I added some tin and have cast quite a few bullets with it since and it seems to work ok and accuracy appears normal out of my .357 pistol and rifle. I poured a small ingot and it tests about 16 BHN. I've had no problems with it so far and have even had the crazy idea of using small amounts for hardening.

shotman
03-11-2011, 12:09 AM
leading from zinc? would look at lube first. zinc is fine for boolits I use it and makes alloy harder just have to run temp high to keep a good mix.. Buddy found pure will work in a glock but you cant cast in a AL mold as it tend to gall

303Guy
03-11-2011, 12:17 AM
You know how brass is made from copper and zinc? And bronze from copper and tin? Well, tin in lead allows for a small amount of copper to be dissolved in the lead and maybe the same if true is zinc is present. It might just make for a tough yet malleable alloy.

runfiverun
03-11-2011, 12:40 AM
zinc in an alloy is an excellent hardener.
about 1.6% is soluble and causes no issues.
over 2% is another matter.
zinc is used at the foundry to strip tin from an alloy being cleaned up.
and tin helps keep copper in suspension to keep it from freezing up the alloy when being poured.
tin also helps with zinc in an alloy.
zinc znd plain lead is a pretty hard alloy and was used back in the black powder days to help with penetration in some african guns.

Bret4207
03-11-2011, 07:39 AM
My experience with zinc contamination is limited, but I find it tends to not give good fill out. If you are having problems with fill out, and IIRC you are, it's possible you could get gas cutting and leading from unobserved flaws in your boolits.

BulletFactory
03-11-2011, 10:49 AM
I know, thats why I'm keeping only about 1 out of 3, the rest go back in the pot to be re-cast.