PDA

View Full Version : New 1885 32-40 problem

870TC
03-10-2011, 08:57 PM
So I bought a new Winchester 1885 "Traditional Hunter" High wall in 32-40.

Anyone know where to get bases and rings?

Tried Leupold 50012 as per Midway and Brownells = not even close.

Called Winchester, after 15 minutes of playing "push this button for"....etc. then waiting on hold I actually got to a human. Nice lady, looked my gun up on the confuser and said Talley Manufacturing is the only place that has a base and ring for this gun.
So emailed Talley....they do not have base for this gun, Neither do I [smilie=b:

Back to square one, would like to avoid going to a machinist and having bases made.

Any suggestions?

peerlesscowboy
03-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Suggestions?
Keep it "traditional" with a tang mounted Vernier aperture rear sight and Globe front.

John C. Saubak

CENTEX BILL
03-10-2011, 09:41 PM
IIRC Burris has what you want. Don't get discouraged. I had very disappointed experiences with Remington Custom Service. I think those people can't tell sh*t from Shinola.

Good luck.

Centex Bill

870TC
03-10-2011, 11:09 PM
I have the tang sight and front aperture, would like to have the scope option to develop loads.
Checked Burris optics website and no luck?

Cimarron Red
03-11-2011, 12:08 AM
870TC,

Browning offered bases and rings for their version of the Browning-Winchester-Miroku 1885 Traditional Hunter. I'm sure of this because I have a set for my Browning in .30-30. Sorry, but NFS. I have no experience with the 1885 in .32-40, but the bases should fit just fine. They will fit on a friend's Winchester in .38-55.

I recently saw the bases up for bid on ebay. I have no idea how frequently they come up for sale. And I would call Browning and check with Midwest Gun Parts in Missouri as they stock Browning parts. Brownell also carries some parts for the 1885.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

Cimarron Red
03-11-2011, 12:19 AM
One addition to my previous post: Weaver made bases for the Browning 1885 BPCR. This gun has a much heavier barrel, of couse, so the forward base would be too low to work on the Traditional Hunter. If you cannot find the correct bases, you might be able to locate the Weaver. The rear base will work, and you could have someone make a vey thick shim, or dutchman to elevate the forward base.

excess650
03-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Brownell's lists Leupold 2 piece bases for Browning 1885 other than BPCR #526-492-220AD

Weaver bases #11 rear #29 front

Burris base number(set) is 410281

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/99_603/products_id/24473

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=BU&prodID=BU410281&prodTitle=Burris%20Browning%201885%20Trumount%20Un iversal%202-Piece%20Base%20Gloss

http://www.hyattgunstore.com/burris-2-piece-black-base-for-browning-1885-high-wall.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=81551

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/burris-trumount-410281-piece-black-base-browning-1885-high-wall-p-18844.html

calaloo
03-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Check out this guy. He will be glad to help you. He wrote the book on these rifles...literaly.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Links_and_References.html

gewehrfreund
03-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Here are the ones you want on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/LEUPOLD-BROWNING-1885-85-HIGH-WALL-SCOPE-BASE-NEW-/130495877120?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item1e62291000

You might also want to check your local Gander Mtn, etc. I saw a pair at my local Gander Mtn a week or two ago.

lotech
03-11-2011, 09:41 AM
I bought Leupold bases for my 1885 Traditional Hunter .38-55 at least ten years ago and recently put them on my much newer 1885 in .405. I'm thinking about another set to put on my Traditional Hunter in .32-40. I don't know the part number, but you might look it up in a Leupold catalog or on their website, assuming the bases remain in production. Practically any Leupold ring set you want will work as long as the height is compatible with your scope.

870TC
03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Still searching. Have Leupold base 50012 or Brownell #526-492-220AD, which is the same mount as the one on ebay. When I put the front mount over the drilled and tapped holes from the factory the Leupold base sits up 1/16" from the top of the barrel. So the only contact is from the two sides of the base touching the side of the barrel. Have emails to Burris and Leupold pending, but there websites have told me nothing helpful.
I appreciate you guys trying to help.

Cimarron Red
03-11-2011, 10:13 PM
8705TC,

I would guess that the Leupold base you have is for the currently-produced Browning 1885 rifles chambered in high power cartridges and that the profile of the barrels on these guns is (obviously) not the same as the traditional hunters. So I would try Browning and see if they have any older stock that will be right for the traditional hunters.

Gtek
03-11-2011, 10:19 PM
I have three of them, oct barrel, used #526----. They work perfect, and were SUPER close. I lapped one just to see. We had a gentleman at the range contact me about his not fitting. He had the front reversed, (ring goes fwd). Yes the back hangs over block, yes the bottom center of base does not contact top flat. Smeared heavy grease on contact areas and top of barrel. Clean harware,Loctite, and away we go. Rock solid, many hundred rounds 30/32 cal.
Gtek

blackpowder man
03-16-2011, 10:23 PM
I have 2 1885 winchesters from the current production and ordered the leopold bases and they didn't fit so I called leopold and they said winchester must have changed the gun and they didn't seem too concerned about making bases for the new set up. I have also heard the weavers will work with shimming. If you find something please post it.

870TC
03-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Called Leupold, they sent a new front base, as they believed it was not machined right. Got new base, same game, has a gap between base and top of barrel. Called Leupold a second time, different customer service rep. now says " Leupold has never made a base for a Octagon barrel (news to me as the base is cut for one) so I should try screwing the base down as well as I can and see if that works, but most people do away with the base"
I was stunned by those two statements.

doubs43
03-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Called Leupold, they sent a new front base, as they believed it was not machined right. Got new base, same game, has a gap between base and top of barrel. Called Leupold a second time, different customer service rep. now says " Leupold has never made a base for a Octagon barrel (news to me as the base is cut for one) so I should try screwing the base down as well as I can and see if that works, but most people do away with the base" I was stunned by those two statements.

I'm looking at the set I purchased last year for my Winchester 1885 Traditional Hunter Hi-Wall in 45-70. The bases were made by Leupold. The package is marked "STD BR 1885 High Wall". The part number is 50012.

I don't know if the barrel contour for the 32-40 is the same as the 45-70 but these mounts fit my rifle perfectly. They use the standard Redfield-style rings and interchange with rings made by Leupold, Burris and Redfield. Both Graf & Sons and Midsouth have them in stock for less than $20.

Somehow I suspect that the Customer Service rep you spoke with may have been thinking bases for external mounts such as the old Lyman 3/4" scopes use. Or, he's simply not as knowledgeable as he should be.

lotech
03-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Just bought a set from Midway for my .32-40 Traditional Hunter (purchased new in January, 2010) and installed them a few days ago. I have thrown away the packaging, so I don't know the part number. With the exception of a very small and uniform gap on the order of 1/32" or smaller between the bottom of the forward base and the barrel flat, they fit snugly and work fine, just like the ones I purchased ten or more years ago for another Traditional Hunter in .38-55. I think someone's already mentioned the possibility of an "original version" of these bases along with an "improved / modified version" each of which share the same part number and / or the possibility of a slight change in the barrel's design & dimensions.

bigted
03-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Called Leupold, they sent a new front base, as they believed it was not machined right. Got new base, same game, has a gap between base and top of barrel. Called Leupold a second time, different customer service rep. now says " Leupold has never made a base for a Octagon barrel (news to me as the base is cut for one) so I should try screwing the base down as well as I can and see if that works, but most people do away with the base"
I was stunned by those two statements.

turn that front base around as the barrel is tapered and so is the hex milling. mine didnt fit exactly either but after i snugged down the screws and locktited them...[blue not red] they work great. also you have to get bases for the 'browning 85 hunter' as i couldnt find bases for my winchester either...stupid lists for manufacturers...same gun...same barrel...same bases!

another thing with the leopold base on the rear...it will fit either way but one way will make the distance between rings far enough that my 16 power would barely fit between the rings...another thing is that the rear base turned thusly will overhang the mouth of the action and breech making it more dificult to load a round...ask me how i know this...[smilie=s:...:shock:

anyway the leoplod bases are perfect and im glad these are the ones i bought as there is the horozontal movement available on the rear that allows this adjustment to be mechanically moved without moving the crosshairs.

another thing that will help with that front base is a bit of sandpaper along the barrel in the position you want it to live only further down the barrels taper and rub the base back n forth till the fit is exactly what you want/need........:coffee:...just a shadetree way to fit it yourself....:popcorn:.......oh and also doing this make sure that the paper is sand part up...not down on the barrel....you will cuss me a lot if done incorrectly....lol maybe doing so already:veryconfu

Doc Highwall
03-25-2011, 12:42 PM
I have two Traditional Hunters a 30-30 by Browning and a 38-55 by Winchester and I have Weaver bases on both of them #11 for the rear and #29 on the front.

Good Cheer
04-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Breath deeply and keep your eyes on the swinging watch. Don't waste time looking for bases. It's hopeless. Give up. Sell it cheaply to Good Cheer so he can afford to have it rebored to 41Mag.