PDA

View Full Version : Got a leaded barrel?

ChuckS1
03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Somebody want to try this technique out on how to remove lead from a barrel? Saw this post over on the 1911forum.

"We cast our own lead RN and then lube them with wax, and that helps a lot with the fouling. But something we found out is that if you heat your lead to liquid and then submerse your barrel into it it removes the lead in the barrel! It worked really wonderful for us. Now I don't know if our KAHR exploded (Pics on blog) because of our lead rounds or something else, of course the gun isn't made to put 5-600 rounds a week through like I do. We had only used the barrel in the hot lead on my 9mm so that is NOT what cause the problem with the KAHR."

btroj
03-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Not with my barrel. Lead is not difficult to remove, especially from a 1911 barrel.

Don't know at what point temp wise you start to alter heat treat but why risk it?

Brad

RobS
03-10-2011, 09:35 PM
NO over here; I'm not going to stick any barrel of mine in 600+ degree anything. Copper Choreboy wrapped around an old bore brush with a bit of solvent and all taken care of. Another note, if the loads are assembled right there should be less concern of leading in the barrel.

Jack Stanley
03-10-2011, 10:23 PM
A case of genetic selection at work perhaps ?

:roll:Jack

2 dogs
03-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Are you kidding me??

Read here, it will tell you what to do with a barrel that leads as well as describes an easy way to get the lead out of a leaded barrel....

http://gunblast.com/FerminGarza-Firelapping.htm

44man
03-11-2011, 09:40 AM
All the technology and heat treating of a barrel to perfection---GONE with a dip in lead! [smilie=p:
Why not just use a torch? [smilie=l:

targetshootr
03-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Bet it would clean up your grips too!

thegreatdane
03-11-2011, 12:47 PM
yuck. i wouldn't even consider it

thegreatdane
03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Are you kidding me??

Read here, it will tell you what to do with a barrel that leads as well as describes an easy way to get the lead out of a leaded barrel....

http://gunblast.com/FerminGarza-Firelapping.htm

I just read the gunblast article on firelapping and it prompts two questions not addressed in the article:
1) Why did he select un sized brass
2) Why did he seat with a bolt?

I found these weird and can't figure out why he'd do that.

BABore
03-11-2011, 01:18 PM
I just read the gunblast article on firelapping and it prompts two questions not addressed in the article:
1) Why did he select un sized brass
2) Why did he seat with a bolt?

I found these weird and can't figure out why he'd do that.

The firelapping load is very low pressure and velocity. You want it that way. Thus, there is not enough pressure to expand the case and seal the chamber. Using an unsized case help keep the lapping compound from blowing back into the chamber.

He's using a bolt as a seater so as not to contaminate his die with a very abrasive compound.

2 dogs
03-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I wrote the article, and BABore is correct. The other reasons are that it would be pretty hard to seat an unsized firelapping bullet in a resized case without all kinds of shaving. Meanwhile, you still want the brass used to seat in your chamber easily. If you try it otherwise, you will soon find out why I said I was going to save you some trouble.

Additionally, note that the bolt is seated down deep enough to keep the lapping compound out of the threads of the press.

thegreatdane
03-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Oh, nice. Thanks BABore and 2 dogs. Great article.

Char-Gar
03-11-2011, 06:07 PM
I have started to respond several times to the original post, but have been unable to come up with words that fully express my feelings about the subject at hand. Let me just say, it is a bad idea and let it go with that.

Bret4207
03-11-2011, 07:48 PM
I have started to respond several times to the original post, but have been unable to come up with words that fully express my feelings about the subject at hand. Let me just say, it is a bad idea and let it go with that.

Gee, I was going to say the guy was freaking retard, moron, plant life IQ idiot but I think I'll just let that go and say "Ditto".

btroj
03-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for putting it so well Chargar. It is a bad idea. Period.

Brad

2 dogs
03-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Well, on top of all that, its alot more trouble than just hitting it a few licks with a worn down barrel brush wrapped in chore girl copper cleaner.....

tek4260
03-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks for putting it so well Chargar. It is a bad idea. Period.

Brad

So do you think the writer of that article didn't know what he was talking about? Seems like he know his stuff to me. :smile: :popcorn:

btroj
03-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I would say on this issue at least he had no clue what he was doing.

This is a big problem with the Internet. Anyone can post that it is a good idea to do XYZ and people will buy into it. No thinking about ramifications, no verifying info, nothing but eating it up like a guppy. I don't believe most of what I hear until I can verify the info. If it sounds odd or too good to be true- run like @$%@!

Brad

Char-Gar
03-12-2011, 07:34 PM
I would hate to start over in the shooting/loading/casting game with only the Internet for a guide. On one had there is much good information, but on the other, there is also much total BS. How is the new guy to know the different?

At least "back in the day" you could trust Townsend Whelen, Phil Sharpe, Al Barr, Jack O'Connor, Elmer Keith and the like, not to throw total foolishness at you.

unclebill
03-12-2011, 07:41 PM
you dip the barrel in lead?
what!?!
i am not the sharpest tool in the shed.
but
i cant see myself doing that.

Maven
03-12-2011, 07:50 PM
"We cast our own lead RN and then lube them with wax, and that helps a lot with the fouling. But something we found out is that if you heat your lead to liquid and then submerse your barrel into it it removes the lead in the barrel! It worked really wonderful for us. Now I don't know if our KAHR exploded (Pics on blog) because of our lead rounds or something else, of course the gun isn't made to put 5-600 rounds a week through like I do. We had only used the barrel in the hot lead on my 9mm so that is NOT what cause the problem with the KAHR."

You can't fix stupid! ...Ron White

songdog53
03-22-2011, 09:55 AM
I don't have that much leading and if i did wouldn't find me dipping any of my 1911 barrels in lead. I'll stick to old fashion way of cleaning any lead i have out of barrel.

Snapping Twig
03-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Why do all that when wrapping some strands of a copper Chore Boy around your bore brush de-leads in a few easy strokes?