PDA

View Full Version : Type 99 followed me home.

wallenba
03-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Just missed out on one last month...then this one pops up. Nice mum and has AAC wings on the sight. Only thing missing is the rifling HEHE LOL. I needed magnification to even see the traces of rifling on the slug. They are easily seen looking down the bore though. Go figure. I like a challenge, still working on two others (not Arisakas) at the moment too.

BudRow
03-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Japanese rifles were made using Metford rifling. It can be deceiving to look down the bore and determine the condition of the rifling. Metford rifling has no sharp edges but is more of a rounded form. They were four groove or "trough" rifled. The best way to check the condition of the rifling is to slug the bore and measure the groove to bore relationship then divide by two. Best Wishes, Bud

wallenba
03-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Japanese rifles were made using Metford rifling. It can be deceiving to look down the bore and determine the condition of the rifling. Metford rifling has no sharp edges but is more of a rounded form. They were four groove or "trough" rifled. The best way to check the condition of the rifling is to slug the bore and measure the groove to bore relationship then divide by two. Best Wishes, Bud

Thanks Bud. I already recieved a PM from Safeshot regarding that, and it appears that it is OK afterall. I cancelled an order for a barrel I ordered from Numrich and saved some money thanks to him. This is my first encounter with the Metford rifling, got some reading to do I guess.
So if I average the two dimensions (.3145 and .302=.3165/2=.30825) then convert to MM?

RayinNH
03-11-2011, 12:16 PM
I'll eagerly be waiting for your results with this project. I can't get mine to shoot a lead boolit worth a damn. My fifty yard groups are about 4-5 inches. I've tried the usual standard loads 16/2400, 13/Red Dot and others. Using boolits that were air cooled and water quenched, near size and oversized. No go, yet jacketed groups are about half dollar size, so I know the rifle is capable...Ray

wallenba
03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
I'll eagerly be waiting for your results with this project. I can't get mine to shoot a lead boolit worth a damn. My fifty yard groups are about 4-5 inches. I've tried the usual standard loads 16/2400, 13/Red Dot and others. Using boolits that were air cooled and water quenched, near size and oversized. No go, yet jacketed groups are about half dollar size, so I know the rifle is capable...Ray

It might be a while, I had to order some brass and a die set. Should be here next week, but I do have a bin of cast boolits that will work that I can size and lube now.

3006guns
03-13-2011, 09:40 AM
In general, if a type 99 barrel is shiney......it's good.

I'm using a 32-40 Winchester boolit in mine, 168 grs, sized to .314. Since it's a plain base I don't drive it very fast, usually 9-11 grains of Trail Boss and the gun does alright. Recoil is modest and very pleasant to shoot.

I'm really begining to think that most of the problems using boolits in the Jap rifles is because the rifling has a somewhat "square" cross section, making it a bit difficult for the boolit to seal correctly and keeping the velocity down helps.

wallenba
03-13-2011, 01:58 PM
In general, if a type 99 barrel is shiney......it's good.

I'm using a 32-40 Winchester boolit in mine, 168 grs, sized to .314. Since it's a plain base I don't drive it very fast, usually 9-11 grains of Trail Boss and the gun does alright. Recoil is modest and very pleasant to shoot.

I'm really begining to think that most of the problems using boolits in the Jap rifles is because the rifling has a somewhat "square" cross section, making it a bit difficult for the boolit to seal correctly and keeping the velocity down helps.

Looking down my muzzle with a bore light in the chamber my barrel is brilliantly bright almost blinding so...I guess I'm good to go!
I use Trail Boss too. In my Enfield @ 12 grains and 12.7 in my Mosins. Both use the same lapped out C312-185-1R Lee, sized accordingly. Like you say, pleasant to shoot. I sent some to a friend in S. Dakota to chrono ( I don't have one) they clocked 1375-1325 in his M38 IIRC. Even his teenage daughter enjoyed shooting them. I'm going to keep using it in my milsurps. [smilie=s:

BudRow
03-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Your barrel is most likely chrome plated and that explains the shine. Look at the muzzle and see if you can detect a small ring of plating. The Japs also plated the bolt face too. See Fred honeycutt's book on Jap rifles and find out if your rifle falls in the range of the period of when they were plating these. Best Wishes, Bud

3006guns
03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
If his rifle has the original AA sights it's one of the earlier ones and should have both a chrome bore and bolt face.

I should have mentioned that part of my reloading process is using the Lyman M .31 to open the case mouth a little more than what the standard dies provide. This allows easy seating and no deformation of the boolit.

wallenba
03-14-2011, 04:48 PM
If his rifle has the original AA sights it's one of the earlier ones and should have both a chrome bore and bolt face.

I should have mentioned that part of my reloading process is using the Lyman M .31 to open the case mouth a little more than what the standard dies provide. This allows easy seating and no deformation of the boolit.

I believe I have that M die somewhere.

ambergrifleman
03-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Japanese Type 99 Rifles are Great Shooters. 1 of My Favorite Rifle to ShooT.