PDA

View Full Version : Sitting or Standing?

4thebrdz
11-26-2006, 11:13 AM
When I melt or cast I always stand. What do you guys do and why?
Thanks.

Dale53
11-26-2006, 01:05 PM
I have a bad back and sit. I can cast for two or three hours while sitting without problems. If I were standing I would have to stop casting.

However, for the "rest of the story", I have ALWAYS sat while casting - even when I would do it for eight hours.

I have a dedicated casting area with a bench height perfect for sitting.

Dale53

Carteach0
11-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Standing. If I decide I need to MOVE, I want to do it NOW.

My reaction time has saved my butt (and my eyes) a few times while working on cars. Twice batteries blew up right in my face and I came away unscathed. I have learned
to always have a way and a place to duck if need be.

500bfrman
11-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Standing. So I can move quickly if I need to.[smilie=1:

warf73
11-27-2006, 03:36 AM
Standing.
I have a casting crew so I'm always on the move. Wife hand dips the bullets in our home made lube, while my son is down stairs sizing the bullets.

I'm the in-between guy I move boolits from operation to operation.

Incase your wondering how I got my wife helping me.... we got a pair of 40S&W XD's
And we are shooting them allot. I knew that casting was the only way feed a 200 round a week habit. Now that she sees all the work that goes into casting she has been looking for a Star Lube machine for me(us).

Warf

arkypete
11-27-2006, 09:36 AM
I do my melting of wheel weights standing with the pot as close to the ground as possible on a burner.
When I cast I use a tanle that is at knee level so that I can sit. The lead is in ingots and when ingots are added to the pot I'm standing. The pot is C-clamped to the table.
The only excitment I've had will molten lead was melting up the WW and range scrap.
Jim

redneckdan
11-27-2006, 12:26 PM
i used to sit but I now prefer to stand.[smilie=1:

SharpsShooter
11-27-2006, 07:01 PM
I sit when smelting and casting. I have a creeper stool for the smelting and use a office type chair for the casting bench. Since both are on wheels, escape, if it should become a requirement, would be speedy. The trick is to not make it required.

SS

Dutch4122
11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
I stand, which is much better for my low back. Can't stand to be all hunched over on a stool. My presses are also mounted so I can assemble cartidges while standing.

Poygan
11-28-2006, 11:36 AM
I have my benches set up at a height for standing, for both casting and reloading. At 65, I can still handle standing for a few hours of casting. Of course, if it was something requiring standing that long that wasn't related to casting or reloading, I suspect I would complain loudly.