PDA

View Full Version : Snag free 1911 sights

7br
03-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Sooner or later, the military sights on my 1911 have got to go. I was thinking that snag free sights sounded really good, but got to looking at them and started wondering if they were that much better. Seems like they are profiled to help go into the holster and not come out of the holster. I do like the way the wilson's look. Three dots for easy aquisition and the nice square black top for a little more precise shooting.

missionary5155
03-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Good morning
I am of the inclination to do it myself. A file or belt sander will make fast work of deburring the offensive areas.

RKJ
03-10-2011, 08:10 PM
The big thing now appears to be Novak's. I've been looking at some for my Govt. model, but I don't like the idea of having to cut the slide.

nicholst55
03-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Novak-style sights are highly popular, and rightly so. They work well and are the closest thing to a no-snag design that I've seen. As far as milling on your slide, you'll have to mill it for nearly any aftermarket sight that's worth owning. In fact, when you buy an aftermarket slide these days, your choices are no sight cuts, Novak cuts, and Bomar cuts - and maybe one (or two) others. Those three are what 95%+ of the existing aftermarket slides come with, though.

Unless my pistol was a highly collectible model that I absolutely didn't want to modify, I wouldn't worry about it. And if that was the case, I probably wouldn't be shooting it much - and certainly not carrying it enough to worry about what sights were on it!

Lee W
03-10-2011, 09:58 PM
I use this on my Para:

http://www.heinie.com/information.php?info_id=8

No dots, but it is snag free.

ole 5 hole group
03-10-2011, 10:20 PM
You can take a look at the 10-8, they have a good following.

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911_Sights.html

Murphy
03-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Snag Free Sights on the 1911.

Okay they look sleek, fast and efficient. I've packed 1911's around for 25+ years now, one even had a target Bomar rear and patridge front sight. The Bomar rear with it's square (and rather sharp I might add) sight is the only time I've had a problem with a sight on a 1911 hanging. I say hanging, because it didn't hang up. I was practicing one day using and inside the waistband holster. I'm a big ole' boy around the waist. As I drew, I managed to drag a nice 8" inch scratch along my stomach and about the middle of my rib cage...'ouch'.

Now, not to stir the pot mind you...but just food for thought.

Does anyone know of any documented case(s) where the sights on a 1911 hung up on someone during the worst possible moment and cost them their life? I've never once seen nor hear of it happening.

I have yet to change sights on any 1911 I've ever owned due to concern of it hanging up when I needed it the worst.

Find a set of sights you like and go with em'.

Just my 2 cent's worth.

Murphy

7br
03-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Snag Free Sights on the 1911.
I have yet to change sights on any 1911 I've ever owned due to concern of it hanging up when I needed it the worst.
Murphy

Kinda what I was thunkin. Probably will go with colt three dot sights. Heck, you could rack the slight one handed that way.

Murphy
03-13-2011, 10:44 PM
I'd forgotten about that added benefit.

A great tactic to have in your box of tools if the need should ever arise for sure.

Murphy

songdog53
03-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Have Novak sights on all my 1911's and are nice white dot's and one has Novak night sites, personally i find no snag and three white dots help these old eyes. Saying that each to their own choice or preference.