PDA

View Full Version : mould question

Tag
03-09-2011, 08:07 PM
As far as sticky boolets in the mould goes is their any design or material ( alum, brass, steel) better than the other

NHlever
03-09-2011, 08:32 PM
I don't think the material the mold is made of really amounts to much as far as boolits sticking in the mold. Quality of manufacture, and burrs on the cavities usually are what cause that, and I have had both good, and poor release from both steel, and aluminum molds. I have never had a brass mold so I can't comment on that. I sometimes rotate some 0000 steel wool on a stick in the cavities as I'm closing the mold, and that usually takes care of the burrs without damaging the mold at all.

stubshaft
03-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I have not found any appreciable difference regarding the type of metal used for moulds.

MtGun44
03-09-2011, 11:40 PM
No. It is burrs or poor centering of the cavity relative to the parting line that seems to
make the difference.

Bill

Tag
03-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks Guys, that helps a bunch, so you may be better off buying quality built molds in the long run. I have a sticky 9mm Lee that I tried everthing on Including the Leementing it still sticks I have three other Lee mold that work fine so I guess it is the luck of the draw

Doby45
03-10-2011, 02:56 PM
What size and boolit profile is that 9mm. I might be interested in it. ;)

Tag
03-11-2011, 10:41 AM
It's not for sale I'll keep messing around with it trying to get it right that way if I get one later on that the boolit sticks in I'll know what works and what don't. its a 125gr. RN I still cast with it its just a pain in the butt