PDA

View Full Version : Lee pro 1000 or loadmaster ?

24VOLTS
03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Hey Guys,

I am going to purchase a Lee progresive press. I have read posts here and watched videos on both of them. I see that they both have possible primer problems with all kinds of remidies out there from many users. I am just trying to find out what I get for the extra $100 or so for the Loadmaster. I do see that the Loadmaster has large cast frame and more complex shell holder system. Other then that what are the pros and cons of each ? Can I do more with the load master ? I am only going to be loading primarly S&W40, 45 ACP, 223 and 30 Carbine.

Thanks for your time and imput !

Phill

Doby45
03-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Loadmaster gives you one additional station. That is the main difference that I have seen. I use a Loadmaster and load 45ACP, 9mm, 40cal, 380, 38SPC, 357MAG, 357SIG, 44MAG, 308, 223.. Makes good ammo..

nes4ever69
03-09-2011, 06:07 PM
i bought a load master for the 5 stations, but i only use 3. wanted to make 1 station a place for a powder check die but its throwing a fit cause of auto disc. i still have an idea about getting it to work but im just to lazy right now. they do have a riser for the auto disc, but im to cheap to buy that.

i dont use mine to prime on the press, primer tray blew up on me. i de-prime all the brass, re-prime with the hand primer and load away. it is still fast with the case feeder.

since i had primer feed issues and only use 3 stations, i wish i had bought a pro 1000. but having the 2 extra station's are a nice for other things. it is nice to seat and next station crimp.

also if it does'nt adavance when it's in one of it's moods, its easy to get going. just pull the advancment rod out a little and its going again.

no you can't fly with the handle fast like people on youtube do with a dillion or hornady, but it will load up good ammo fast.

the loadmaster is a good press for the price. the pro 1000 i have never seen in person or used so i cant say much about it.

troyboy
03-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I have the pro1000 and it works as good as any. I do not know about the .223 yet as I have not tried on this press. I feel like the 223 would be better served on the loadmaster but I cannot say. The loadmaster is a better press as far as construction and die stations. If I had it to do over I would buy a loadmaster for the ability to do both rifle and pistol. I also think the loadmaster will produce better ammo due to the design of the turret.

dragonrider
03-09-2011, 08:18 PM
I have owned both and still have two pro 1000's, sold the *** loadmaster.

Cowboy T
03-09-2011, 11:36 PM
For the rounds you're talking about, I'd suggest the Pro 1000. I have two of them, one set up for small primer rounds, and the other for large primer rounds.

Not sure what folks are talking about with speed, because I'm regularly hitting nearly 400 rounds/hour with my .38/357 Pro 1000 and about 325/hour with the .44Spl/Mag/.45LC Pro 1000. That's certainly fast enough for my shooting needs.

Regarding the priming issues, yep, they can have some...IF the primer feed mechanism is allowed to become dirty. It must be clean of any residual manufacturing oils or powder grains that get dumped into it. When it does get dirty (this happens maybe every 4K-5K rounds), I just do a strip and clean of the press, and she's good to go.

If you go for the Loadmaster, be sure to check out "The Loadmaster Zone". They've got vids that show you how to make the LM run smoothly. If you go for the Pro 1000, check out my Web site, which is basically a Pro 1000 version of the LM Zone.

KYCaster
03-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Loading straight wall auto pistol cartridges, you'll be much better off with the Loadmaster vs. the three station Pro 1000. The Loadmaster allows you to seat and crimp at different stations.

Jerry

BTW...I've used both extensively. At one time I had three Pro 1000's and two Loadmasters. I traded them all in for Hornady and Dillon and now my time at the loading bench is nearly stress free. :bigsmyl2:

Dman4321
03-10-2011, 01:44 AM
been looking at the same presses, but think I'll go with the Loadmaster, since I'm wanting to load .223, 25-06, .308, and 30-30 with it, along with some straight wall pistol cases...

jma1965
03-10-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm a Cowboy Action Shooter and I've been using the Loadmaster with 38 specials for about 5 years. My primer problems went away when I started using a decapping die in the first stage and a sizing die without the decapper in the primer stage. I think all press's have there quirks, but for the money, I can't complain. :rolleyes:

Doby45
03-10-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm a Cowboy Action Shooter and I've been using the Loadmaster with 38 specials for about 5 years. My primer problems went away when I started using a decapping die in the first stage and a sizing die without the decapper in the primer stage. I think all press's have there quirks, but for the money, I can't complain. :rolleyes:

Thats exactly what I do with mine and I have no problems and I can pull my handle and produce ammo as fast as a Dillon or Hornady.

Station 1: Universal depriming die
Station 2: Sizing die minus depriming pin
Station 3: Flare and powder charge
Station 4: Boolit seating
Station 5: Crimp and spit out.

Shooterwolf
03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
I had the Pro 1000, hated it. Got the Loadmaster three years ago, works great for me.

If you are going to change calibers a lot, I'd go with the Loadmaster.

S.W.

24VOLTS
03-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for your feed back I appreciate very much. I has been very helpful !

Thanks

Phill

Moonie
03-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I've also had both, currently have the Loadmaster as I load several rifle calibers. What Doby45 said is 100% the way I do it. Keep in mind 2 things, do NOT use federal primers, they will blow up your priming system, not might, WILL (don't ask how I know). To reduce the priming issues keep the priming system clean and lube with a powdered lubricant. The priming system in the pro1000 is better than in the Loadmaster but both are serviceable.

jma1965
03-12-2011, 09:42 AM
I've also had both, currently have the Loadmaster as I load several rifle calibers. What Doby45 said is 100% the way I do it. Keep in mind 2 things, do NOT use federal primers, they will blow up your priming system, not might, WILL (don't ask how I know). To reduce the priming issues keep the priming system clean and lube with a powdered lubricant. The priming system in the pro1000 is better than in the Loadmaster but both are serviceable.

I found out myself, not pretty........... :not listening:

Moonie
03-14-2011, 11:40 AM
I found out myself, not pretty........... :not listening:

Hopefully no scars that show, I did bleed for a little while, something got a chunk of my upper lip, thankfully the stach covers it and I'll probably never investigate to discover scar tissue.

Please lets not forget safety glasses when dealing with things that can go boom during reloading.

zuke
03-14-2011, 03:19 PM
For 5 buck's I bought the explosion sheild.

Dustinxxx
03-14-2011, 06:16 PM
I have 2 as well. One for 9mm and the other for 45. bought them off a guy for a 100 for both. They were in pretty rough shape and missing parts. I recently got them all set up and going. Even painted one camoflauge lol.. i was bored. But they work great. Have a few issues but once you get those worked out then they run great

jma1965
03-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Hopefully no scars that show, I did bleed for a little while, something got a chunk of my upper lip, thankfully the stach covers it and I'll probably never investigate to discover scar tissue.

Please lets not forget safety glasses when dealing with things that can go boom during reloading.

No, I got off easy, no more Federals.

Moonie
03-15-2011, 12:15 PM
I do now have the blast shield. My boys had gotten the federals, I am using them for light cast loads in the rifle calibers with unique (large pistol primers).

zomby woof
03-15-2011, 07:01 PM
I own two LM, one set up for small primer the other for large. With the five stations you can post crimp. watch the videos already mentioned. make sure timing is set correctly, this is very important. I bought my second LM from a guy that was trashing it online. He said i could have it for shipping, he was really pissed about it. When I got it the timing was way off. this will causes all kinds of problems. It is currently tuned up and running fine.

Cowboy T
03-15-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure why folks have problems with the 3 stations in the Pro 1000. I've reloaded <i>thousands</i> of .38 Spl and .45 Colt on my Pro 1K's with no problems, and the resulting ammo has always performed top-notch.

If you're changing cartridges a lot, either press is fine.

AZSUNN
09-01-2013, 04:16 PM
I have purchased a Pro 1000 set to .45 acp, I have just started reloading, so I'm very New....this press was purchased from my gunsmith / shop owner after he decided that he had No time to use it...I paid $90 for it with a bunch of extras...so far as I can tell it is working fine, yes it has it's moments but then so do I...my question is can I load .223 on it? and if so what do I need to buy to be able to make it work for .223
thanks for your help

geargnasher
09-01-2013, 04:40 PM
You'll need a .223 shellplate, Rifle charging die, Lee RGB two-die .223 set or any full-length sizer/decapper die and seater/crimp combo, and probably a different case slider. Depending on your charge weights, you may need a double-disk kit for the powder measure. The press should have come with a small primer punch/spring, and small primer chute in the spare parts packet. If you don't have those small parts you can get them cheap from Midway or similar places.

If you intend to load cast boolits with it, you'll probably have to do it in two runs since there isn't an easy way to bell the case mouths and charge at the same time with those little .22s.

Gear

44Vaquero
09-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Azsunn, you will be doing yourself a favor by looking up Cowboy T's Youtube posts on the PRO 1000! Also spend some time on Lee's own web site many questions can be answered there as well.

That was a very good purchase price too! A new one is about $175.00! You will like the 1000 it's pretty simple to use and produces quality ammo.

prs
09-04-2013, 10:36 PM
I prefer the Loadmaster. I use an M die in station 2 and have no problems at all with priming or index. However, I did do a simple modification, very similar to how the spent promer collection is on the classic turette, to eliminate spent primer contamination of the primer station. www.loadmastervideos.com is a good site, but all of these far-out mods are not needed. The latest Lee primer parts seem to do a better job for folks who were smashing the sliders.

prs