PDA

View Full Version : First "Boolit" question

GBCAPT
03-09-2011, 12:42 PM
I am new to bullet casting - just figuring out how to start - have shot a few cast bullets that were gifted to me. I am experienced reloading jacketed bullets for 30 years with 25-06, 280 Improved, 30-06, 22 Hornet and 357 Mag.

To start I have ordered a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition.

But, before I can accumulate the equipment to cast my own, I think I would like to buy some commercial boolits for a new CZ-527 7.62 x 39 carbine I just bought.

My intended use for this rifle is short range coyote hunting with calls in wooded terrain and as a walkabout rifle for deer in the same wood lots during the fall.

My thought that two different bullets will be needed for the two different species - a low mass, slow bullet for the dogs and a full throttle freight train projectile for deer.

I see a number of 100 - 140 gr commercial bullets for 32-20 loading that have appeal as dog rounds, if they shoot well enough.

The barrel cast of my rifle mikes .313 groove diameter, has 4 lands/4 grooves and CZ advertises that it has a 1 in 9 twist, which I have not verified.

So, too the point, does anyone have experience with a similar rifle that would confirm that I might expect reasonable results with a .313 cast bullet weighing about 115 grains loaded to very moderate velocity out of this ? Or any other suggestions for a starting point.

Thanks in Advance!

wills
03-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Since you intend to purchase the boolits, you could probably make no better decision than to discuss the entire matter with the esteemed Mr. Bullshop, and trust him to provide the appropriate boolits.

RobS
03-09-2011, 01:31 PM
+++ on Bullshop: He'll make sure everything is set for a best outcome. He is also one of our own:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=141

onondaga
03-09-2011, 01:48 PM
I am playing with the X39 cartridge in a single shot rifle. My post on that:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=107131

Sounds like you got your bore size measured well, Mine slugged at just under .311" groove to groove. I chose an all purpose bullet, a 150 gr GCFN mold from Lee and modified the mold to drop bullets .313" I check/size with a modified Lee push through size die at .3125" and tumble lube with 45:45:10 before and after sizing.

Powder selection is important me, In fact, I selected the X39 as a new caliber because there are several powders that will give 100% capacity loads with cast boolits and have pressures compatible with cast boolits.

The alloy I cast is BHN14 hardness and a Wheelweight:Linotype mix at 7:3. I am working up loads with different powders. My target velocity is 2150 fps. Here is a ballistic printout at that velocity with the 150 gr FNGC:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/X39Bal.jpg

The rifle will be used for woodland deer and coyote.

The Lyman #4 book is great, Do realize that their recommended loads are based upon a particular maximum pressure that Lyman has determined to be about 43-44K, CUP for cast boolits in general. That is very conservative. Good fitting bullets, alloy selection, gas checks , good lube, and a polished bore will extend the Lyman predictions considerably if done with care.

Gary

MtGun44
03-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Rifles seem to be happier with about .002 or .003 over groove diameter.

Bill