PDA

View Full Version : Brass/Aluminum Powder Resorvoir

signut
03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Looking to either buy a Lyman 55 with the correct powder resorvoir OR : does anyone make an aluminum or brass resorvoir for the Harrels measures ? Do not see one listed, and honestly don't want to spend a week trying to make one out of a brass cylinder > Anyone have any sources for something like this ?

AZ-Stew
03-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Lyman makes a "black powder" #55 measure that has a metal reservoir to eliminate static electricity buildup. I'd recommend grounding its stand, as well.

Regards,

Stew

Wayne Smith
03-09-2011, 11:54 AM
You don't really need one. No one has ever been able to prove that black powder can be ingited by static electricity and many have tried.

montana_charlie
03-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Looking to either buy a Lyman 55 with the correct powder resorvoir OR :On the Lyman 55, I believe it's not just the reservoir that is 'black powder specific'. I think the body, or the rotor, or both are made of brass...intended to remove any possibility of creating a friction spark.

Anyway, just installing a metal hopper doesn't make it a BP measure.

I use my faithful old Redding. It's all steel...and a plastic hopper, to boot.

CM

AZ-Stew
03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I think my #55 (plastic reservoir) has a brass sleeve inside which rotate a large steel drum and two brass metering sliders for the smaller charges. The body is cast iron.

The steel drum can't spark against the brass sleeve, so I think if i added a metal reservoir and grounded the stand, the measure would be pretty spark-proof.

I would like to hear from someone who owns one of the Lymans that's intended for black powder, though, to learn what's on the inside of them.

Regards,

Stew

signut
03-09-2011, 06:25 PM
You don't really need one. No one has ever been able to prove that black powder can be ingited by static electricity and many have tried.
I have both a Reading BR measure and a Harrels, both take the plastic bottles for powder . I just did not like the idea of having a pound of 2F go up in the basement, wife would probably not like that. So as far as you know, the plastic bottles are OK for blackpowder ? I would ground the measure, and most likely wrap some fabric softener around bottle . If you hear of an accident in SW Ohio, that would be me.....

jhrosier
03-09-2011, 10:41 PM
.... Anyone have any sources for something like this ?

I can't help you with the #55 measure but I do have the aluminum reservoir with baffles, cap, and the 2- 12" drop tubes for the Lyman #55 BP measure. If you can scout up a standard #55 measure,these will fit right on.
There is no difference between the BP measure and the standard #55.

I got these parts from a fellow who left his measure in a damp cellar and the moisture attacked the drum and inside of the body, ruining it. The parts that I am offering are in perfect or near new condition with no corrosion.

PM if you are interested in buying or trading for lead ingots.

Jack

garandsrus
03-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Jhrosier,

If the OP doesn't purchase the items, I would like to get them from you...

Thanks,
John

BCall
03-10-2011, 01:55 AM
I had a Lyman 55 black powder measure, and other than the hopper, it was identical to my other 55, except it was threaded for the hopper while the standard one is press fit. If you already have a 55 and are looking for a brass hopper, Buffalo Arms sells a brass hopper for the 55's. They have one that is threaded for the older ones that have a threaded hopper, the other isn't, since Lyman no longer threads the standard 55's.

Willbird
03-10-2011, 11:44 AM
The lyman 55 was originally intended for BP wasn't it ?

Baron von Trollwhack
03-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Yes it was, And I have their instruction booklet attesting to its suitability.

This was of course, in pre-nervous nellie days. BvT

Doc Highwall
03-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Buffalo Arms sells brass reservoirs.

Catshooter
03-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Buffalo Arms sells brass reservoirs.

Yes they do and I'm here to tell ya that they are a fine peice of kit too! They hold about a full pound also. Well worth the money.

Cat

Dan Cash
03-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Just use the 55 the way it is. It won't interfere with you growing old.

Willbird
03-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Just use the 55 the way it is. It won't interfere with you growing old.

I think after years of use the res gets a patina of graphite on it from the powder anyway.

Bill

totallycustom
03-14-2011, 04:36 PM
I read an old set of directions for the 55 and its markings are even supposed to be grain graduations for some types of black powder.

PacMan
03-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Have you contacted Harrell's about a new reservior?