PDA

View Full Version : Lithium grease, white vs brown

Blackhawk45hunter
03-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Is there a difference as far as bullet lube is concerned? I can get the brown cheap locally but the white is hard to cone by and it's more expensive. Is there a significant difference between the two?

Blackhawk45hunter
03-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Anybody?

DragoonDrake
03-09-2011, 10:47 PM
I have no idea. I have only used the cheap brown and molybdenum. I plan on making some lube with super white and beeswax with a little carnuba added here in the next few days. I won't have any test reports for a few more weeks though. Sorry i can't be more help.

stubshaft
03-10-2011, 12:53 AM
The white lithium grease I've used in the past was manufactured by Lubriplate and was designed to be used on auto and truck brake backing plates. It would not melt below 750*. Same thing with a product called Sil-Glyde which came in liquid and gel forms. Great stuff but hard to homogenize into lube.

runfiverun
03-10-2011, 02:11 AM
iv'e just added white lith straight into melted b-wax and blended till cooled.

most all of the greases made today are lithium soaps or have it as thier main ingredient.
there are a few other things added especially to ep greases where some solids are added.
and others that have things included to increase thier tackyness, or lubricity.
i'd guess the brown either has an oxidized mineral oil or parrafin in it.

pistolman44
03-10-2011, 12:01 PM
I use the brown bought at walmart in the long tube to fit grease guns. I mix it with a lb of beewax. I use this mix for all magnum pistol loads. When I'm lazy I use a mix of JPW & Alox to tumble lube.

Beekeeper
03-13-2011, 10:42 AM
I have made and used "Bens" lithi-bee in both handgun and rifle and it has slowly become my go to lube.
Am thinking about making some of his improved version and giving it a try.
Check out his sticky on it and I think you will be surprised how good it works.

Jim

Papa Jack
03-15-2011, 05:13 AM
I have tried several different types and brands of Greases over the years, I think they all seemed to work fine. I can't recall ever having leading problems using grease.
I was ( still am) casting lee bullets for .30-30's... We used lots of different types of industrial greases at work, including Dow Corning Moly Grease, some soap based greases too. And later some of the first industrial Synthetic grease by Dubois .
I have also had real good luck with OLD WWII GI Graphite Grease.
Now I have two Lyman Lubrisizers and I use Speed Green....
I suggest that you pick up a couple different types and brands of grease and try em out, you may find some that give better accuracy then others in your guns..... "PJ"

Blackhawk45hunter
03-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Well I sent 20 lubed with the brown lithium grease downrange this past weekend, no leading and decent accuracy (around moa).