PDA

View Full Version : Ask The Experts

Beekeeper
03-08-2011, 09:15 PM
We need a forum with that header!

Any way my question for the experts here is this.
I have a Bushnell Phantom 1.3x15 pistol scope.
It is about 40 years old and I can find no information on it.
I am going to put a scout mount on a bubba'd M44 mosin I have and was considering this scope.
Kinda make it all look a little retro.

Will the scope take the pounding from the mosin? Or not?
I did read where someone put one on a 357 Mag pistol and it stood up to the abuse for over a year before giving up the ghost.

Jim

firefly1957
03-08-2011, 09:41 PM
I have one in 2X on a contender barrel in 256 Win Mag. I can say it would probably be fine for what you want.

MtGun44
03-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Not too many folks will hang around the "Experts" column. Sounds too ostentatious, most
of us are helpful but fairly modest and know our limitations.

Bill

btroj
03-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Bill hit it pretty well on the head. I tend to avoid experts, they seem to frequently be self proclaimed experts.

I certainly know my limits.

Bad

Phillip
03-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Have you seen these guys? They sell repo mounts and scopes for the old mil surplus rifles.

http://www.accumounts.com/

As for your scope, I don't see why it would not work for you, other then the eye relief distance.

Bret4207
03-09-2011, 07:31 AM
The Phantoms were THE pistol scope for some time. I have a similar 1.3x on a Ruger 32 mag, it works fine. You'll have to make mounts or haunt Ebay till you find what you want. They stood up to 357s, 41's and 44's and a LOT of Contenders in 30-30, etc.

Beekeeper
03-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone.
Now I do not feel bad about putting it on ths rifle.

MTGun44,
I think there are a lot of experts here.Most hide it under a bushel but they are here just the same.
I have read a number of your posts and gained a lot from them.

I think an expert is someone who has information I do not. Most here on the forum qualify in that respect.

Jim

MtGun44
03-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Beekeeper -

Please understand the I agree with you totally. It is just proclaiming oneself an expert
is not something that a lot of folks (me too) want to do. You can decide whether
someone is an expert, and that is a lot better than them proclaiming it. A modesty
issue, I guess. I MIGHT claim some expertise in a particular area of engineering that
I have worked in for decades, but even then, I'm leery of making the claim. I'd be
a lot happier just stating my experience and let someone else decide. Somebody with
5 yrs experience may be an expert to a raw newcomer, but not to someone with
40 yrs experience.

I have a 1.3 and 2.5 Phantom, but have only put them on a .22 Ruger. They do fine, but
I have never subjected them to any serious recoil. I might have a base or too around
if you need it.

Jim
03-09-2011, 02:49 PM
I agree with Bill. An elderly gentleman told me years ago that half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at. That being said, I must be a genius![smilie=1:

btroj
03-09-2011, 04:10 PM
I also am with Bill. Too many experts should be run away from, not listened to. Biggest problem is the self proclaimed expert, they can be downright dangerous.

Brad

Alstep
03-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I've always said that if you don't learn something every day in your life, you've wasted that day in your life. Even if you learn something that isn't so, or something you do doesn't work out, at least you learned that which doesn't work, you don't repeat it, and you go on and try something else.
Keep your powder dry,
Al

looseprojectile
03-10-2011, 11:44 PM
My dad said " Any time you enjoy wasting is not wasted".
Getting back to the OP, I was at a friends table at the gun show last month where the vendors were looking at a Bushnell Magnum Phantom 2.5X 20mm scope. One of them said it is a long eye relief pistol scope. The owner handed it to me and asked me to toss it in the garbage can. So I slid it in my pocket.
I am now making a mount for it to go on some of the old milsurps.
These scopes have a handy dovetail built in the bottom of the scope. I will start with an old Contender base. I suspect the "Magnum" might be more recoil resistant.

Life is good

lwknight
03-12-2011, 04:13 AM
This is the learning channel. There can't be any experts around here because the more we learn the less we know. Now because of the Ops' question , I learned something about old scopes.

10x
03-12-2011, 08:55 AM
X is an unknown quantity,
spurt is a drip under pressure.

There is a great deal of knowledge on tap here. Ask in the right forum and the right answer (and some speculation and witty reparatee will be included - not to mention the odd low ball offer to purchase).

MT Gianni
03-14-2011, 11:08 AM
"Ask the experts" is the unwritten, assumed sub title of Cast Boolits. With the exception of Humor, off-topic and Political Forums, the posters here are really the experts whether we claim to be or not. The difference is most of us are still learning and hope to continue to be.

Jim
03-14-2011, 11:32 AM
I like to use analogies. I think this forum is kinda' like a covered dish gathering. Some bring a dish for others to get a serving of and are just glad to share. Some bring a dish and get a serving of what others bring. And then others come without bringing a dish and get servings of what others have brought. And, like a covered dish gathering, all are welcome and what's on the table is for everyone, not just those that brought something.
After all is said and done, everybody had a good time.

That might be a kinda' silly or inaccurate analogy, but that's what this forum reminds me of.

Rocky Raab
03-14-2011, 11:43 AM
If you are going to "kludge" a mount for that 1.3X LER scope, do it right and make it a "Scout" rifle by mounting the scope where the rear sight is now. I assume that the existing sight is out ahead of the receiver.

That scope is perfect for that use, and recoil of that heavy rifle with cast-bullet loads will be a LOT less violent than that of a magnum revolver. Scope should last forever.

Do remember that the principle behind the "Scout" scope is to shoot with both eyes open. Look only at the target, raise the rifle and crosshairs will appear magically where you are looking. Squeeze.

azcruiser
03-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Would think bubba's M44 mosin shooting cast bullets would have less recoil than most center fire hand guns .Not an expert by any means just old

mroliver77
03-15-2011, 08:04 PM
This concept has always fascinated me. My Dad taught me to shoot at a young age. He was always telling me to keep both eyes open. I only have one eye! I shot the other out with a Red Ryder BB gun during Nam.
In school they had the kids put an empty paper towel tube over their eye and the other end on their palm with both eyes open. Most claimed it looked like a hole in their hand.
Willbird from this forum and I went somewhere one time and there was a movie you could watch . We were handed 3D glasses. I told them I did not need them as I had one eye. The fellow insisted. I argued that it would not work. He won. Bill talked me into putting on the glasses. Everything was fuzzy red! lol. My how I do run on about nothing! Scout scopes are kinda odd for me to use.
Oh ya I didnt shoot my eye out, it was a stone. It was 1967. I was 7 but it was during Nam.
J

If you are going to "kludge" a mount for that 1.3X LER scope, do it right and make it a "Scout" rifle by mounting the scope where the rear sight is now. I assume that the existing sight is out ahead of the receiver.

That scope is perfect for that use, and recoil of that heavy rifle with cast-bullet loads will be a LOT less violent than that of a magnum revolver. Scope should last forever.

Do remember that the principle behind the "Scout" scope is to shoot with both eyes open. Look only at the target, raise the rifle and crosshairs will appear magically where you are looking. Squeeze.

patsher
03-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Oh, too funny!!!! I bit hard on that one !!1 ROTFL!!!!