PDA

View Full Version : which weighing devise

jacob7
03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
New to BPCR and have a question on the best way to weigh bullets. Should I get an electronic or a balance scale? Which ones are the best? Thanks

Boz330
03-08-2011, 08:42 AM
For speed the electronic scale.

Bob

John Boy
03-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Digital scale - as stated, weigh the bullets fast and are accurate. Look on eBay for digitals that weigh 500 grains and the strain gauge measures + or - 0.1gr. I have a couple of NEVA's that I also weigh powder charges on. Comparing weights on a beam scale the weights are the same

1Shirt
03-08-2011, 10:18 AM
yep, go with the dig!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Don McDowell
03-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Digital for the bullets, most balance beams don't do a good job on the heavy end of the slide.
I prefer the balance beam for powder charges.

cajun shooter
03-08-2011, 12:37 PM
I have purchased three digital scales that go by the name of Digiweigh and they have been great. I have a 1010 scale that shows the same reading when I compare the two for accuracy. They are very fast to use and weigh in grains, grams,carets and oz. You can buy them for around the $20 range and they come with check weights. They also have a tare feature which is nice when using a scale pan or plastic container.

montana_charlie
03-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Digitals are fine if you put an object on the pan, note the weight, and remove it. Under that circumstance they are accurate.

If you leave the weight on the pan the reading may increase over time. Not so with a beam scale.
Also, digital scales don't typically react smoothly when 'trickling up to weight'.

CM

bigted
03-08-2011, 03:51 PM
just for ballance here i use an rcbs electronic bench scale. this small scale does everything i could ever want...weighing boolits....powder or anything i want to accuratly weigh. ive used the balance beam from rcbs for years and this electronic scale is just what the dr. ordered. i also have a lyman 1200 auto trickler powder metering device and i check it with the rcbs bench scale and it always weighs to within 1/10th of a grain.

having said this i must confess that for the best accuracy in weighing with this scale from rcbs ,,, i have to let it "settle" before moving on...like m/c refered to,,,it will gain to the actual weight in a second or two . if i allow it to settle for just a second or two then it weighs just rite and for me it is faster then the ballancebeam i used for all those years....i like it a bunch.

for all my experiments i use this electronic scale and weigh every charge of bp ive ever put into a case...till i get the chance to buck out the accuracy i want and look for ...then ill make a dipper that will throw the proper charge for each gun shooting the bp. then ill keep this special dipper with the gun it meters for. and so on for all the guns i load bp for. but for now im weighing each load so i know the repeatability per shot is not dependant on differences in powder. just removing a portion of the process to be sure of each componant i use or discard in the ongoing experiments.

hydraulic
03-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I bought one of the Frankford Arsenal $20 electronic scales and it will weigh the same bullet differently every time you put it on the scale. I can start weighing a batch of bullets and the weight increases every few bullets, then turn around and try the first ones again and they have gained four or five grains. My beam scale only goes up to 505 grs. so my 535 gr. bullets all get loaded no matter what they weigh.

montana_charlie
03-08-2011, 11:23 PM
I bought one of the Frankford Arsenal $20 electronic scales and it will weigh the same bullet differently every time you put it on the scale.
Do you let the scale warm up for twenty minutes before you start weighing things?
CM

Kenny Wasserburger
03-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Powder charges are from a RCBS Chargemaster 1500.

The I101 from Myweigh is for bullets.

KW
The Lunger

semtav
03-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Digital for the bullets, most balance beams don't do a good job on the heavy end of the slide.
I prefer the balance beam for powder charges.

Same here. I just leave my digi plugged in, so it is a lot more accurate, and even then I hit the zero about every 10 bullets.

Don McDowell
03-09-2011, 10:30 AM
My first digital is one from Cabela's, battery or 110v , it has been very reliable, and I still use it for the bullets and the occasional odd powder charge.
I now have one of the Lyman 1200 dps3 machines and am just beginning to explore it's mysteries, but leaving it plugged in seems to make it want to recalibrate more often.

bigted
03-09-2011, 01:47 PM
don...ive found with my 1200 that i leave it plugged in but off... and then when im going to use it...i turn it on and leave it alone for 1/2 hour to "warm-up". then i configure the calibration using the provided weight then ...after the initial warm-up and have no trouble from then on...i check it by the rcbs digital around every 10 or so loads to make sure im still in there.

while im letting it warm up,,,i tend other tasks such as flairing the mouth and putting in primers n such tasks so im not just setting n waiting...[mom was rite,,,im just a small bit impatient]...i love this powder meassure and as im loading a load into a case ,,, im on auto load so that it is metering the next load as im fooling with the previously charged load and case.

do you meter bp thru yours ?

Don McDowell
03-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Ted yes I've ran bp charges thru mine.
Just puzzles the snot out of me how that thing works.:???:

August
03-10-2011, 01:42 PM
I weigh sort my bullets with an RCBS 750 electronic scale. Works great and is fast.

mustanggt
03-12-2011, 03:03 PM
I use a Pact BBK II electronic. It works very well and I am happy with it. I back up my work with an RCBS 505 scale just to make sure the BBK II is right on.