PDA

View Full Version : My roots.

82nd airborne
03-08-2011, 12:45 AM
I just wanted to put this in writing, as much for myself as for anyone else.
My father is an amazing and vast resource when it comes to firearms. He is the reason I now have a successful gun company. Some of my earliest memories are or sitting at the loading bench or casting with him, and setting for hours as he tediously labored, making some of the finest walnut stocks I have seen to date. My father did not have that same privilege, his father worked for a particular government organization that pressured him to disappear, separating the two when my dad was six weeks old. We looked for him (my grandfather, dad’s father) for years, but since dad had his name changed several times, as did his father, the task was impossible, without God’s hand in it.

Apparently, He saw fit for our family to be reunited. December 10th, 2010, my brother found a real estate listing under the last name we had for our grandfather. He called the number, and the gentleman on the other end was skeptical to say the least. After it was proven that we were his grandchildren, he agreed to meet us with his wife. They were both wonderful people.

By now, you are wondering why this is on a gun forum. Here is where the relevancy comes in; he happened to be a caster and a gun nut with well in excess of 100 Ideal moulds, most of which he passed down to me this past week. He used to own a gun company making some of the finest wildcat AR’s and bolt guns I have ever seen. He has made hundreds of ultra accurate 6x45 AR’s for Texas guides and others.
The similarities don’t stop there. His reloading bench was set up just like mine and we have never met! His mannerisms were just like my fathers, and they hadn’t seen each other in over 50 years!

Many of the Ideal moulds he passed on to me are new in box.
Last week he got us all together and said there were certain things in life he cherished that he had hung on to because there was no one to appreciate them properly. He then proceeded to pass these items out to us.

He handed me a 1931 Colt woodsman, almost brand new condition, with a 7.5” barrel. It is one of the finest handeling pistols I have shot.

To my brother he gave a Small ring 98 Mexican mauser chambered in .358x57 and 5 bullet moulds. It had a highly figured, hand crafted manliicher stock, a Lyman sight that is as intricate as a swiss watch that replaces the bolt stop, so unlike conventional sights, it will not bust your knuckles. The sight alone cost over $2,000. It is the finest Mauser I have ever handled.

To my father he gave a 8.5” barreled Uberty single action army that he built up in .32-20. Excellent craftsmanship.

My mother receive a beautiful .22lr J-frame in pristine condition.

I have alwasys wondered where that part of me came from, and if we would be close if we ever met. I am a spitting image of this man, and I am proud of it. I cant tell you all how thankfull I am to have a new grandfather, and on to p of that he is a caster and a gun nut of the highest order!
Aaron

nicholst55
03-08-2011, 12:59 AM
Aaron: thanks for sharing this story! It just goes to prove that the world we live in truly is small, and that God still has his hand in it. My grandparents on both sides died when my parents were children, so I never got to meet them. I envy you that much, but I am happy that you were able to meet your grandfather and now will have memories of him.

patsher
03-08-2011, 01:59 AM
Aaron, what an amazing story! My arms are still tingling from reading it. What a gift you have received, and I don't mean just the fine firearms!
Pat

Von Gruff
03-08-2011, 02:34 AM
That is a family history to warm a heart and give encouragement to others. For myself, my children all went offshore to live and are uncomunicative so that while I know I have a number of grandchildren i have no idea where they are. I always wanted to be surounded by family and to grow old teaching the youngones what my grandparents tought me but it seems that is not to be. It is gratifying to hear of reuniting of family members and I do wish you much joy from it.

Von Gruff.

lead Foot
03-08-2011, 04:02 AM
Great story ~ thanks for posting. Both my kids shoot and love it. They took to it like ducks to water. I was talking to my mother the other day and mentioned that the kids come to the range today. She said Oh everybody shot in my side of the family. Mainly big bore but small bore too. You could have knocked me over with a feather.
Lead foot;

82nd airborne
03-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys! Im really happy about it. He has sworn off computers since he retired, or I would bring him here! My two daughters took up with them as well. Odly enough, it feels like I have known him all my life.

Bad Water Bill
03-08-2011, 11:52 AM
You are one fortunate and lucky man. I never got to know either of my grandfathers. One was 70+ years older than me and the other lived in the mountains of California. Only met him 2 times.

10 ga
03-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Ah, fond memories of my grandfathers. Have the 12 ga. Winchester 1911 "widowmaker" that belonged to one and the GI .45 acp from the other. And I love to hunt, trap and fish just as much as they did. 10 ga

luvtn
03-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys! Im really happy about it. He has sworn off computers since he retired, or I would bring him here! My two daughters took up with them as well. Odly enough, it feels like I have known him all my life.
You probably have an link on the subconcious level. Nice that it has surfaced.
luvtn

Doc Highwall
03-08-2011, 12:37 PM
I hope you had a video around when talking to him. One of my grandfathers died when my older brother was 2 months old and the other one was grumpy from all the killing of the first world war and use to tell me stories about cutting the fingers off of the dead enemy to get their rings to trade for chocolate. A thing I did learn is he was awarded a lot of medals and his name is engraved on them. He also traded some of them for money. My older brother has most of them now. Maybe yours can tell you some more lighthearted and happier stories of good times.

Recluse
03-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Aaron, it was the hand of God. And that just makes your grandfather's gifts all the more special.

My wife never knew her grandparents on either side--they had passed away before she was born. She got to know my paternal grandparents, who loved her like a granddaughter as much as they loved her being my wife.

We have no children of our own to leave anything to, other than the young lady we adopted, who is about to turn twenty and going through her self-discovery phase. This, as any parent knows, is the phase in which you pray daily, even hourly, that God delivers the child from the wickedness and evil that pulls at the child. It's also the phase in which the child is growing up and "no longer needs you."

I truly hope you fully appreciate how meaningful and special the gift God has given you and your family is. I suspect, by your words and tone, that you do. Well done, enjoy, and aspire to be the man your father and grandfather is.

:coffee:

82nd airborne
03-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Aaron, it was the hand of God. And that just makes your grandfather's gifts all the more special.

My wife never knew her grandparents on either side--they had passed away before she was born. She got to know my paternal grandparents, who loved her like a granddaughter as much as they loved her being my wife.

We have no children of our own to leave anything to, other than the young lady we adopted, who is about to turn twenty and going through her self-discovery phase. This, as any parent knows, is the phase in which you pray daily, even hourly, that God delivers the child from the wickedness and evil that pulls at the child. It's also the phase in which the child is growing up and "no longer needs you."

I truly hope you fully appreciate how meaningful and special the gift God has given you and your family is. I suspect, by your words and tone, that you do. Well done, enjoy, and aspire to be the man your father and grandfather is.

:coffee:

Awesome! That is some good advice that I will not take lightly. I also couldnt agree more about it being God's plan, its to crazy just to happen by coincedence.

EMC45
03-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Excellent story Aaron!

gray wolf
03-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Wow what a great story, I'm so happy for you.
You made my day. Sometimes things happen in the strangest ways.
Enjoy the things you were given and use them safely.
The memories, stories, and the great experiences will last forever.
Thank you so much for telling us all.

I also couldn't agree more about it being God's plan, its to crazy just to happen by coincidence.

Our Lord has a way to make things happen, and let us know he is in control.

Sam

MtGun44
03-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Excellent news. Good thing that you didn't wait, probably in the plan.

Bill

82nd airborne
03-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks Bill, Its a funny thing, I beg and beg for Him to make something go a certain way, then he makes it go the opposite way and I thank Him for not letting it go the way I asked!

arjacobson
03-08-2011, 08:35 PM
excellent story!! My parents are both gone now but in the last few years have visited my uncle in canon city colorado.. He is well into the 80's. Served in ww2 on anzio and the southern france invasion. Was in the 45th division-179th company f 2nd battalion.. Fought and was captured on a roadblock just outside of meximeux france. Sept 15 1944. His actual battle was mentioned in a few different books/magazine articles.. I am proud to really get to know this man and I see alot of my dad in him. Great story!!!

Az Rick
03-08-2011, 09:35 PM
What a story! I like happy endings. Enjoy your new found family and make some more memories. I miss my Dad and Grandpa often, wish we had one more hunting trip together.

Best, Rick

Jim
03-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Aaron, that's a great story, man! Thank you so much for sharing that with us. Guaranteed, this is an event that you will remember and cherish the rest of your life!

grog18b
03-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Aaron, my grandfather passed away in 1991, when I first started my second career. I wish I had one more single day with him. He served in the Alutians during WW2, and was one of the few soldiers to actually fight for, and win back, American soil. The reason I wish for one more day, is that he never really spoke about his wartime experiences all that much, and I was young at the time and assumed... assumed... that he would be around for a while.

Live each day you have with him, as it might be the last, and sit and talk. If he has old photos of his experiences and such, go through them with him. Make notes. I have a few books of his photos during WW2, and am trying to piece his military history back together from those books and awards. Thankfully, I had many additional years with my grandmother. She was able to identify some of the photos, and re-tell some of the stories that went with them.

Enjoy your find, my Brother. GROG

MT Gianni
03-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Great news Aaron. Both of my Grandfathers passed away within 6 weeks of my 5th Birthday. Keep those links together and let you and yours enjoy them.