PDA

View Full Version : the bull barrel .45-110 has arrived!

Gunlaker
03-07-2011, 11:29 PM
My new Shiloh 16lb bull barreled sporter #3 made it's way across the border and into my house this morning! What a beautiful piece of work.

I've attached a picture. It's got semi-fancy wood, AA finish, custom bedding, and a pewter tip.

It's a .45-110, my second rifle in this chambering, so I'm all set to go with this one. If all goes well I'll give it a try this weekend.

It's a standard chamber rather than a paper patch chamber, but I'll give it a try with bore diameter bullets in Norma brass. That works very well in my other one.

Chris.

Slingshot
03-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Very nice looking wood on that Rifle. I am Jealous [smilie=s:

Don McDowell
03-08-2011, 01:15 AM
Nice looking rifle :holysheep

craveman85
03-08-2011, 07:59 AM
how long was your wait. im ordering mine this week.

RMulhern
03-08-2011, 09:44 AM
I'd be interested in knowing what kinda load you've been shooting in your other 110?

Gunlaker
03-08-2011, 12:13 PM
I'd be interested in knowing what kinda load you've been shooting in your other 110?

I pretty much stole all of the ideas from you bore diameter PP guys. Norma brass, WLR primers, 100gr Goex Fg, .030 veg king wad, 1/8" lube cookie, 0.030 veg king wad, Baco .444" Money bullet cast in 20:1 alloy (yeah I know 16:1 is recommended, but it seems to work well as long as I use a lube cookie or a cork wad) wet patched with the paper Baco sells. final diameter is about 0.451".

I stumbled on this load a few weeks after buying the rifle and getting pointers from you guys. I really haven't been able improve on it yet. It's still my most accurate BPCR.

I believe it was you who said "even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while" when I posted my targets. :smile: Now if only I had the same quick results with all of my rifles. I guess that would take a lot of the fun out of it though.

Chris.

Gunlaker
03-08-2011, 12:15 PM
how long was your wait. im ordering mine this week.

I got in on the bull barrel run last spring. The total wait was less than a year, although it's probably due to that special run of the bull barrels. The wait also included about 4 to 6 weeks to get it cleared to export from America.

chris.

RMulhern
03-08-2011, 12:32 PM
I pretty much stole all of the ideas from you bore diameter PP guys. Norma brass, WLR primers, 100gr Goex Fg, .030 veg king wad, 1/8" lube cookie, 0.030 veg king wad, Baco .444" Money bullet cast in 20:1 alloy (yeah I know 16:1 is recommended, but it seems to work well as long as I use a lube cookie or a cork wad) wet patched with the paper Baco sells. final diameter is about 0.451".

I stumbled on this load a few weeks after buying the rifle and getting pointers from you guys. I really haven't been able improve on it yet. It's still my most accurate BPCR.

I believe it was you who said "even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while" when I posted my targets. :smile: Now if only I had the same quick results with all of my rifles. I guess that would take a lot of the fun out of it though.

Chris.

Chris

Over the past few years I've come to the conclusion that my 45 2 7/8 shoot more accurately with charges in excess of 110 grs. Swiss 1F despite whether or not the alloy was 1-16 or 1-20. Load that gives me the best performance is 112 grs. Swiss 1F; no compression, WLR primer, Norma cases, .060" veggie wad, and either the KAL cupped base bullet with .160" meplat or the BACO PP Money bullet. The KAL mould drops naked bullets at around .4415" and I run the BACO PP through a Fred Cornell swage die to take them down to .444" diameter. I use the same paper to patch both bullets. The BACO comes out at .4510" wrapped OD and the KAL patches up to .4495". I FL resize all brass and with the new PP chamber with 7* leade that Kirk cut for me I use a case length of 2.900". Bullets are seated .290" into the case and I apply a very very slight taper crimp.

Enjoy your rifle! Despite what some folks say....this caliber performs quite well at the longer ranges![smilie=w:[smilie=s:

Gunlaker
03-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Chris

Over the past few years I've come to the conclusion that my 45 2 7/8 shoot more accurately with charges in excess of 110 grs. Swiss 1F despite whether or not the alloy was 1-16 or 1-20. Load that gives me the best performance is 112 grs. Swiss 1F; no compression, WLR primer, Norma cases, .060" veggie wad, and either the KAL cupped base bullet with .160" meplat or the BACO PP Money bullet. The KAL mould drops naked bullets at around .4415" and I run the BACO PP through a Fred Cornell swage die to take them down to .444" diameter. I use the same paper to patch both bullets. The BACO comes out at .4510" wrapped OD and the KAL patches up to .4495". I FL resize all brass and with the new PP chamber with 7* leade that Kirk cut for me I use a case length of 2.900". Bullets are seated .290" into the case and I apply a very very slight taper crimp.

Enjoy your rifle! Despite what some folks say....this caliber performs quite well at the longer ranges![smilie=w:[smilie=s:

Interesting. I've been partial sizing my brass, just enough to make it a snug fit with the patched bullet. Then I run a .452" expander (from my .45 colt dies) into the brass just for consistency.

I should have mentioned that I'm seating the bullets an eighth of an inch into the case.

That new leade is working out for you then I guess? I don't know if I mentioned it previously but the .45-110 I've got working well is a C. Sharps. We'll see how that monster barreled Shiloh likes paper patch soon!

Chris.

craveman85
03-10-2011, 05:52 PM
i ordered mine today and i was told i need special permission to put a paper patch chamber in it due to the owner of the reamer design. woualdnt happen to know who this would be do you?

Don McDowell
03-10-2011, 07:08 PM
You need to talk with Kirk about anything out of the ordinary. Be advised also that there is an additional charge to set up to ream for a nonstandard chamber.

craveman85
03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
the woman i placed my order with said i had to get ahold of the person who made the paper patch reamer and get their permission. cant figure out where i put the paper with his name on though. she said hes on the forum and i could ask on there but my username still hasnt been accepted yet.

Kenny Wasserburger
03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Orville Loomer.

KW
The Lunger

9.3X62AL
03-12-2011, 01:50 PM
BEAUTIFUL rifle. I hope she shoots as good as she looks.