PDA

View Full Version : Good lube for HBWC or DEWC

Roundnoser
03-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Its hard to know which section of this forum to ask this questions...but here it goes! -- I plan to do some shooting with HB and DE wadcutters (140 - 148 grain) with 2.7 grains of Bullseye. (I'm shooting a SW 686 w/ 6" bbl.)

Which lubes work better than others? I always thought (and heard) that an NRA blend / 50-50 would be good to use, but it gets kind of smokey with the Bullseye.

It must be a versitile lube, as I plan to use it for steel plates, combat course, indoor bullseye league, etc. -- I'm kind of looking for a general concensus. Thanks.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-08-2011, 01:04 AM
I have used for many years the NRA 50/50 lube with H&G #251 ( a DEWC) with 2.7 gr of BE and put lube only in one groove. More than that smokes a lot and cruds up the gun. It shoots accurately out of a Smith M52 and i use it only for target work. LLS

rststeve
03-08-2011, 02:41 AM
Why not Lee liquid alox your not smoking them out the barrel it should work great with very little smoke. I use that when I shoot at the indoor range. just a thought.

Dale53
03-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Lone Wolf;
I also use the H&G #251 dbl ended w/c but I load it a bit hotter than you do. I run 3.5 grs of Bullseye behind my w/c's. They just flat shoot better.

Ed Harris has some really good information on a series of Ransom Rest tests he has run with HB and solid wadcutters on the Cast Bullet Ass'n Forum (which has been down all day). I can recommend it to your attention.

I have been using Lars White Label Carnauba Red applied with a lube/sizer. Years ago, the NRA discovered (E.H. Harrison, the developer of the NRA 50/50 lube) that lubing one groove only gave superior results. My personal tests with a Ransom Rest over many years find complete agreement. Carnauba Red is as accurate as NRA 50/50 but smokes less and is less susceptible to melting in extremely hot weather. It also works well in colder weather.

Dale53

Shooter6br
03-08-2011, 02:55 AM
I would try JP . Waxed like 22 RF rounds Just a thought[smilie=s:

Roundnoser
03-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Lone Wolf;
I also use the H&G #251 dbl ended w/c but I load it a bit hotter than you do. I run 3.5 grs of Bullseye behind my w/c's. They just flat shoot better.

Ed Harris has some really good information on a series of Ransom Rest tests he has run with HB and solid wadcutters on the Cast Bullet Ass'n Forum (which has been down all day). I can recommend it to your attention.

I have been using Lars White Label Carnauba Red applied with a lube/sizer. Years ago, the NRA discovered (E.H. Harrison, the developer of the NRA 50/50 lube) that lubing one groove only gave superior results. My personal tests with a Ransom Rest over many years find complete agreement. Carnauba Red is as accurate as NRA 50/50 but smokes less and is less susceptible to melting in extremely hot weather. It also works well in colder weather.

Dale53

Dale53,
I have a friend who is also a member here. He loves the Carnuba Red for his rifle boolits. He said the Red is good for higher speeds, but not sure if it would be good to use for under 1200-1500 fps. -- Appearenty, you have had different results! My friend gave me a stick of the Red...maybe I should give it a try!

Dale53
03-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Most of my shooting these days is at target velocities with handguns. Carnauba Red works perfectly in this arena, also.

Dale53