PDA

View Full Version : Thanks guys

DIRT Farmer
03-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Today I shot my first 5 shot sub one inch group from my Savage #4 with 2 grouve barrel. 50 yards with my portable shooting rest, a Ford F150 pickup 4WD hood on the truck that I use to check the wells with. Getting to my range would require a good pair of boots and a hike.
The load is IMR4064 in HXP cases with the case filled with wheat bran then a unsized Lyman 311-291 cast from WW wraped dry with 20# printer paper and rolled over the lube pad with just the residual RCBS lube on it.
The groups have been slowly improving then I bought a Lee collet die. The necks are anealed dead soft, the case ran into the die and about 10 lbs of pressure on the handle, just enough to snugly hold the package. I then seat in an 8X57 seat die.
This has been an intersting exersise from deciding the old barrel was toast, changing it with tools I built, installing the new (used) barrel then finding the load. There are several loads that will provide minuite of deer but now a 'yote at 200 had best keep it's head down in the pasture (my ultimite target) and a ground hog had best stay nervious although I have miss givings on shooting the rabbits construction engineers now a days.
Again thank you all and the Brits for designing this rifle. I think I would have given up and shot greasers if the durned thing would have tossed them anything other than sideways. I am still working on a load using rim fire lead and faster powders in lighter loads, and a few other projects.
Alan

docone31
03-07-2011, 10:50 PM
I will tell you what, once I actually tried an Enfield, after disreguarding what people said about them, they are something to shoot!
I love em.
Paper makes them shoot better. I can stack a mag in the 9 and better at 100yds.
Wait untill the bore starts getting polished from firing! It gets tighter down range.

DIRT Farmer
03-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Doc, I think this is some of what is happning, I used Butches Bore Shine and J&B till my arms were sore, but think the nasty stuff may be polishing out.
By the way, I never did figure out how to use the roller I bought at the head shop. I have tried using wetrolled on the counter top, with so-so results. I still want to figuer that out. The last I smoked I still rolled my own smokes, so rolling castings is easy.

docone31
03-08-2011, 12:28 AM
The roller is simple.
Put the tip of the patch onto the apron, lay the casting on the patch to be rolled. Close the rig, and roll away!
Make sure, the point on the end is on the nose side rather than the base side.
You want the patch to roll the tip into the patch rather than have the paper tip on the outside.
In other words, you want the tip of the patch to go into the roller, with the bulk on the outside. If you hold the roller in your hands, the tail goes outward, the tip in inward to about the center of the void in the apron. Lay the casting onto the paper, nose to the right. Close the roller onto the patch and casting. Roll. Open the apron, twist the tail and do it again.
If you cut the tip at a 45*, the straight part will go to the right, the angle will go to the left. I set the casting with the tip 1/2 way between the nose, and crimp groove.
If you do the patch damp, it will loosen up. You have to do this with the patch soaking wet. It will come out damp and shrink dry.
Have fun!!!!

pdawg_shooter
03-08-2011, 08:56 AM
I use a 1/2" thick, 8" X 8" square rubber pad for patching. I get better control and better results than a cig roller. Doc1 sent me a roller but patching on a pad works better for me.