PDA

View Full Version : A 'special' Pedersoli Quigley

montana_charlie
03-07-2011, 10:07 PM
I just ran across this rifle on the Auction Arms site.
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10233607

It's a Pedersoli Quigley in 45/70 with a (starting?) bid of $1000 showing.
It is a reserve auction, and there is no indication of what the minimum bid might be.

I call this rifle 'special' because of three things about it.

1. It has very nice wood, almost too nice for an off-the-shelf gun.
2. It has been hand lapped in 'their shop' for improved accuracy.
3. The seller's username is 'sidehammer'.

Why is 'sidehammer' special? That is the username used on eBay by Lee Shaver.
He's a well-known gunsmith and shooter.

Of course, I can't know for certain that this 'sidehammer' and the other one are one and the same. But, I bet they are...and Lee Shaver used to be the Pedersoli warranty point gunsmith.
Perhaps that's how he got such a nice-looking rifle...

CM

RMulhern
03-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Em Dagos never have figured out how to make the forearm!!

pls1911
03-07-2011, 11:28 PM
If you're interested in the gun, and in doubt, simply call Lee and ask Him!!!
I've dealt with him on a few items and he's as nice a person and you;ll find in the business.
If it's his, you can bet it's a beauty, and mechanically superior to any other Pedersoli in the country.

montana_charlie
03-08-2011, 12:02 AM
I've dealt with him on a few items and he's as nice a person and you;ll find in the business.
So have I, and come away satisfied on each occasion.

I'm not interested in the rifle for myself...just thought others might like to know such a nice one is available.

CM

JesterGrin_1
03-08-2011, 01:53 AM
You should pester schutzen here on the forum to take a good pic of the Pedersoli Quigley I sent him. :). Also very nice wood. :)

Boz330
03-08-2011, 08:46 AM
I have seen several Peds with extremely nice looking wood for an off the shelf rifle. Luck of the draw though.

Bob

John Boy
03-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Charlie, back in 2003, I bought my 1st Sharps, a Pedersoli Quigley that came through EMF for $1050 ... that is a spitting image of the one up for auction. Only 2 differences though:

* The wood on mine is better. Has more burl configuration in the wood
* I had to lap it myself, about 5000 cast bullets sent down the bore so far

It has proven to be a very accurate rifle and the reason I bought the Pedersoli 'Competition' model (pistol grip, high comb, French Gray receiver, double-set triggers, german-silver forend cap, and deluxe checkered forend and stock) that Cabelas was selling for $10 over their cost - $1000. Sent it off to Steve Rhoads to be bored to 45-90 using Dan Theodore's match reamer. It too has excellent wood with plenty of burl configuration and shoots very good groups

My, My ... how prices have escalated!

kokomokid
03-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Nice looking gun. I tried to register on auction arms but it did not work. Got registered right away on gun broker and never tried auction arms again.

Lead pot
03-08-2011, 11:34 AM
That wood looks like it was cut from the same log mine is from, mine has just age darkened after 14 ? years, nothing special Charlie.
I just hope that rifle isn't the Dog mine was with soft metal and hard brittle springs and ungodly deep free bore.

bigted
03-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Em Dagos never have figured out how to make the forearm!!

mulhern,,, please post a photo of a good example of a sharps roearm as i also have a ped sharps of '74' vintage. mine has the same forearm as is seen on this very pretty rifle. ive heard of this forearm difference before and id personally like to see the difference.

thanks

Don McDowell
03-08-2011, 04:33 PM
ted go here and look at the pictures of this Shiloh. Notice the absense of the "perch belly" common to pedersoli's http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=218883228

bigted
03-09-2011, 03:55 AM
don...thanks for the lesson. my ped also has this "perch belly" and i notice on the shilo that the forend cap is rounded up to the barrel instead of the "flow" into the barrel that the pedrosoli's have. is this shilo form correct to the origanal sharps of this period? ive never seen an origanal gun...guess ill peruse the net and find some photos of the origanal item.

thanks again don for the heads up...now i know what to look for when i hear this about the pedrosoli's.......by the way my heavy 74 ped has wood that is that good as well but im betting that the bore is not as smooth as reported on the one for sale. it will after being "lapped" with several hundred lead boolits. its pretty good now so should just get better.

montana_charlie
03-09-2011, 01:37 PM
my heavy 74 ped has wood that is that good as well but im betting that the bore is not as smooth as reported on the one for sale.
Working with the assumption that the seller actually is Lee Shaver...
If he got hold of a rifle that was built by God, himself...Lee would probably still lap the bore.

CM

mazo kid
03-15-2011, 12:45 PM
According to the auction site, Lee Shaver is listed as the seller and the reserve has been met at $1200.