PDA

View Full Version : 12 ga RSS 50 BMG project

Silicon Wolverine
03-07-2011, 08:47 PM
something ive been tinkering with over the winter i thought you guys might be interested in. after BPI came out with the blue RSS sabots the idea crawled into my head to see if could launch a 50 BMG projectile with one. the in progress results so far is this:

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k365/SiliconWolverine/CIMG5949.jpg

its been a long road of blown wads, bizzare component combinations custom built tools and lots of range trips but im gaining ground. the last iteration penetrated 18" of frozen packed gravel at 50 yards, at POA.

i realize its a weird project, but how many other 12 ga guns are shooting 675 grs of FMJ spitzer projectile? :grin:

SW

SuperBlazingSabots
03-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Good morning Silicon Wolverine, Just looking at the picture scares the hell out of me. The bullet is so long and just the bottom support from RSS 12 is not enough to take a chance firing it, as the bullet will pivit at launch.
Dont forget the RSS 12 is as it is, way under size and will not be a tight fit with a .50 caliber bullet in your rifling!
I hope I'm wrong in favour of your safety sake!
My last 2 cents and now I'm broke!
Ajay Madan
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

1Shirt
03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Guess my question would be: WHY?
1Shirt!:coffee:

SuperBlazingSabots
03-08-2011, 01:20 PM
With that shallow a roll crimp, very likely your barrel will spit out unburned powder, instead of a good combustion at launch!
Ajay Madan

Silicon Wolverine
03-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Good morning Silicon Wolverine, Just looking at the picture scares the hell out of me. The bullet is so long and just the bottom support from RSS 12 is not enough to take a chance firing it, as the bullet will pivit at launch.
Dont forget the RSS 12 is as it is, way under size and will not be a tight fit with a .50 caliber bullet in your rifling!
I hope I'm wrong in favour of your safety sake!
My last 2 cents and now I'm broke!
Ajay Madan

ive fired dozens of them in testing with no problems of pivoting. the RSS is reinforced with a metal disk in between the base of teh sabot and the filler disk behind it, plus a washer between the heel of the bullet and the sabot to prevent the plastic from impressing itself on the bullet and sticking.

With that shallow a roll crimp, very likely your barrel will spit out unburned powder, instead of a good combustion at launch!
Ajay Madan

nope. loaded with blue dot it burns cleaner than the majority of the other slug loads ive built. it took more than a few component combination iterations to get to that point, but ive found teh sweet spot where it burns clean.

Guess my question would be: WHY?
1Shirt!:coffee:

why not? whats wrong with doing something just to see if it can be done? if it ends up not working, well i learned a few things anyway. if it does work, who knows how far it can be taken. think about this: in some states you can ONLY use shotguns to hunt. how advatagous to those hunters woud it be to have a round like this? even if the BMG bullet didnt work out and you downsized it to 450-500 grain .450 or .400 caliber rifle bullets (possibly with a different sabot) youre still MILES ahead of most slug loads.

SW

stubshaft
03-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Nothing wrong with thinking outside of the box (as long as you don't get hurt). I just got a .575" 750gr. mold and was thinking of loading it in a 12ga with a standard wad. No real advantage to it but just wondering ...

mckutzy
03-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Is this been shot out of a rifled barrel, and what gun are u shooting this in?

Silicon Wolverine
03-13-2011, 12:31 AM
my testbed gun for load development has been my 870 marine magnum. im currently hunting for a rifled barrel for one of my 870s that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. im getting decent results from a smoothbore, and as most shotguns are, i may stick with that and see where it goes.

SW