PDA

View Full Version : The Parker Hale Enfield

KCSO
03-07-2011, 01:18 PM
When I was young I was determined to go to Africa and hunt and therefore was enamored of the 303 British rifle. After all Stewart Granger hunted Africa with one! So in about 1966 I stopped in the GEM store and for $15 I bought a 1915 BSA marked enfield with magazine cut off and volley sights. I took it home and promptly cut it into a semblence of a sporting rifle throwing the worthless volley sights and magazine cut off in the trash. I then hiked myself to the local gun shop and bought a paper sack of 303 surplus ammo for 2 cents a round, count it yoourself. I also bought a box of REAL 303 loads Remington 215 RN at 2300 fps, guarenteed to stop charging lions for sure. I shot the rifle for some time and even stopped a charging coyote with what we call here a ,Texas Heart Shot. A coyote was no match for a 215 Remington I'll tell you.
Eventually I got a Lee Loader and began reloading the 303 and discovered the meaning of chamber tolerence and headspace. It was then I saw an ad for a Parker Hale 303 Sporter rifle. In 1967 the rifle was selling for right at $70 and was about the same price as a new Remington 700 and therefore well out of my reach. But "If man's reach does not exceed his grasp then what is heaven for?"

Fast forward 40 (no sh!#, 40???) years and a buddy comes over with a paper sack. I got it at a gun show in California and I think it's all here. Inside were the bits and pieces of a Parker Hale Enfield 303 for which I promptly dished out a Franklin and a half.

I put the gun together replacing several small parts that were missing, rear sight, front hood, and a magazine. The rifle itself had a mint bore and the action was marked Lithgow 1920. Oh Boy a dream come true no more streached brass and a 303 bore!

The fact is that the Parker Hale, even though it has fine walnut wood with figure and a nice polished blue, is nothing more than a factory sporter. The clip charger guide has been removed and polished and a 5 round magazine supplied. The mint bore with sharp shiny lands and grooves is 313 and the chamber is no better or no worse than a regular miliitary rifle. The 22" barrel has all the military proof marks and is stamped in the middle PARKER HALE BIRMINGHAM.

Shooting cast bullets sized to 314 and lubed with Carnuba Red the gun with the 2.5 Simmons scope will hold under 2" at 100 yards, but it shoots no better than my military #4 with the target bedding. The trigger on the rifle was a standard doulble pull military trigger that broke at 5# and i replaced it with a Huber trigger set for 3# crisp.

All in all the Parker Hale is not a bad rifle but I am sure glad I didn't spend $70 for one in 1967! The rifle is in no way comparable to a contemporary sporting rifle. The Remington 721 or 700 was a much better gun for the money in 1967 and I am assuming that the reason for the high price at that time was import duty on the Parker Hale as it was really just a well done sporterizing job rather than a true sporting rifle.

gnoahhh
03-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I'll bet right there is the reason there are no longer any lions in Nebraska! They all heard what you're up to! Well done. :drinks:

KCSO
03-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Notice the pppe sight on the rifle. That is a M94 peep mounted on the flat at the rear of the right side of a 303. That is a trick an old fellow taught me 30 years ago. You just turn the apreture base around backwards and it works just fine and actually mounts easier than a regular Enfield sight.

wiljen
03-07-2011, 09:35 PM
http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Manuals/ph.html

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Manuals/ParkerHaleEnfields.pdf

Thought you might want that for reference.

BruceB
03-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Sheesh....that catalog brings back memories.

My first center-fire rifle was a P-H #4, given to me by my folks at Christmas, 1959. I pestered them without pause for the entire year, and that was ALL I wanted for Christmas. I'd been using Canadian-issue #4s for a couple of years in the Army Cadets, and by gum, I knew what I wanted!

Later on, I bought a" Standard #1" from the Hudson's Bay Company store in Yellowknife, NWT. I wanted it for a knockabout anti-bear camp rifle , and for $9.99 it surely served well (yep, less than ten bucks).

KCSO
03-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the post I will save and print out that one for my wall. Bruce $9.99 ??? Boy here Parker hales were big bucks. If I remember right a #1 Supreme was like $70 in the late 60's.

doubs43
03-07-2011, 11:22 PM
SLater on, I bought a" Standard #1" from the Hudson's Bay Company store in Yellowknife, NWT. I wanted it for a knockabout anti-bear camp rifle , and for $9.99 it surely served well (yep, less than ten bucks).

For Christmas 1960, I got a 1916 LSA #1 Mk III that cost $9.95. The bayonet was $1.95 additional. It has the cut-off and windage adjustable sight. I still have it and the bayonet. The bore is mint and shoots cast boolits quite accurately.

Bret4207
03-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Over the years I've seen a few Lee Speeds and Ross commercials in 303. One particular Ross had made the rounds of local shops for over a decade and I've always been a day late. Interesting guns the Lee's, Ross's, etc. They sure work for bringing home the bacon.

Baron von Trollwhack
03-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Actually Nebraskans do have lots of lions in their state.......................Mountain Lions.

MtGun44
03-08-2011, 12:15 PM
KCSO,

I hope you have had the opportunity to indulge your African hunting urge. I did it and
would definitely recommend it to anyone that feels the pull. It is much more affordable
than most imagine. PM me if you want more info.

Thanks for the Parker Hale report. I, too, expected more magic than you report finding.

Bill

BruceB
03-08-2011, 12:42 PM
In my HUMBLE (hah!) opinion, I own the sweetest, most-gorgeous, most delectable Enfield IN THE WORLD. It's sitting beside me as I type.

[QUOTE=Bret4207;1189069"]Over the years I've seen a few Lee Speeds and Ross commercials in 303. "

I believe that the artist who built my rifle was deeply influenced by the Lee Speed rifles and the British school of gunmaking, yet for some reason I also have a feeling that he is/was an American 'smith. A google search for "Lee Speed rifle" should yield enough photos to show what I mean about their influence on my rifle's builder. Africa...remember "the Ghost and the Darkness"? My rifle would have fit perfectly in that movie.

It's a #1 MkIII from 1914, with its original barrel (in excellent condition). It has the Lyman 48 rear sight and a large ivory bead "moon sight" up front ....the moon sight is flipped up to cover the daylight bead when lighting conditions are bad. The barrel- band sling mount is another nice touch.

I wish I knew how to move pictures around, but if you want to see this marvelous rifle go to www.auctionarms.com and search for 9059436......there are excellent photos there.

That P-H "Standard #1" wasn't much of a conversion...all they did was remove the handguards, round off the front of the fore-end, and maybe slosh it through a bluing tank...or maybe not. Still, you have to wonder at how both Parker-Hale AND the Hudson's Bay Company could make a profit when the rifle retailed for ten bucks!

Fishman
03-08-2011, 02:36 PM
I picked up one of these a while back and haven't shot it yet. Looks to have a new barrel on it. It is stocked with birch it appears but the butt pad is missing. It looks just like the PH stocks but it isn't walnut. I'm also very curious about what scope base it is tapped for with the three holes on the left of the receiver. Anybody know where I might get either of these items?

NickSS
03-08-2011, 11:06 PM
303 British brings back lots of fond memories. My very first rifle was bought for me by a friends mother and I had to keep it at his house until I finally got permission from my father to bring it home. It was a No 4 Mk 1 that had been sporterized by chopping off the fore stock and rounding the tip a bit. Becasue it was a sporter it cost me $25 in 1964. I remember buying a hundred rounds of surplus ammo in bandaliers and stripper clips for $5 and going to shoot it for the first time. We had to drive 100 miles (one way) to get to a place where I could shoot it. I still remember the unbeleivably loud noise it made when I fired the first shot (without ear protection). Many many rifles have come and gone since then but I still have a found spot in my hart for the old 303 and the No 4 Mk 1 rifle. I have two of them for that reason of nostalgia today and even shoot them once in awhile.

KCSO
03-11-2011, 12:30 AM
No the Game Commission says there are NO mountan lions in Nebraska. Trust US!!!

Bruce that is a dandy!

MtGun44
03-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Those are the same mtn lions that aren't in Kansas, either. Of course, when I saw the
one crossing the road in front of me and my wife, and she saw it, too, we must have
been hallucinating. Those dead cattle, died of old age, too.

Bill

wiljen
03-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Yeah, the same ones that aren't in VA/TN even though there have been repeated sightings and even several that have been caught on game cameras. Go figure.

KCSO
03-16-2011, 05:40 PM
The biggest problem is what do they do about them. We have people call and say there is a mountain lion in my back yard DO SOMETHING! What, the bunny huggers have the Game commissions afraid to even say shoot one, so it's against the law to shoot them. Now as one resident suggested come live trap mine and moveit to the other end of the county. Right Joe Blow on the other end WANTS a lion in HIS back yard. Not to mention that relocating game animals is about useless, they get home before you do. So the response is they are just passing through and don't really live here, trust us.

The bunny huggers don't realize that our ancestors got rid of cougarrs and wolves because they didn't want them where they raise their children. Now when there was wilderness just down the road that worked, now there really is very llittle real wilderness and what there is Ted Turner is building his new home on. I've hunted and trapped all my life and I love to see the predators at work in the wild, but I've also tried to raise sheep in coyote country too. It's a thin line and I don't have the answers other than setting up a DMZ here in the States.