PDA

View Full Version : first lube, what to make?

troy_mclure
03-07-2011, 03:06 AM
i have 1lb of bee's wax, and 1lb of paraffin.

i shoot .223(fast) 10mm(fast) .44mag(fast) .30-06(med) .30wcf(slow) .35rem(med).

what other ingredients do i need?

what would be a good multipurpose lube for fast and slow loads?

randyrat
03-07-2011, 07:31 AM
Here is a small blurt from of a ton of recipes from "Just the facts; lube recipes" upper thread here on boolit lubes. I'm not saying these will all work for your guns and applications, but I'll bet they will come close if you tinker with them.
California Saeco Green"
2 lbs Beeswax
2 lbs Paraffin
1 lb STP Oil Treatment
------------------------------------------------------------
Old NRA lube formula
1 part Beeswax
1 part Paraffin
1 part Vaseline
All parts by volume
------------------------------------------------------------
In a post by Chargar 071219:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=comprendo
60% Beeswax
40% Vaseline
"Has worked for almost 50 years in handgun and rifle loads up to 1,9 or 2k fps".
-----------------------------------------------------------
Barry Darr’s Lube
1 lb Paraffin
1 lb Vaseline
2 tablespoons (30 ml) STP Oil Treatment
-----------------------------------------------------------
Modified Barry Darr lube
1 lb. Paraffin
1 lb. Vaselin
No STP

btroj
03-07-2011, 08:00 AM
You could do worse than Felix lube. I am just now trying some MML lube and have heard good things about it.
Either is going to take more time than money to make. Use the search function and you will find lots of info on either one. 357 Maximum is the father on MML and many here can give you the scoop on Felix lube and what to do and not to do in making it.

Brad

troy_mclure
03-07-2011, 08:33 AM
oh, im using a lyman 45.

Moonie
03-07-2011, 11:59 AM
i have 1lb of bee's wax, and 1lb of paraffin.

i shoot .223(fast) 10mm(fast) .44mag(fast) .30-06(med) .30wcf(slow) .35rem(med).

what other ingredients do i need?

what would be a good multipurpose lube for fast and slow loads?

For a multi purpose lube that will work with all of the above I use FWFL (Felix World Famous Lube). I add a little carnuba to mine.

I use it in the following: .223, 30-06 and 8x57. I use 45/45/10 for my pistols (.400 corbon and 45acp)

badgeredd
03-07-2011, 01:46 PM
oh, im using a lyman 45.

357Maximum's MML is very good without a heater and through a Lyman 45. He uses a Lyman 45 himself so that should give you an idea of its viscosity. IMHO it is THE lube for 98% of your needs, both rifle and handgun.

Edd

PS...Bear in mind we are Michigan boys so our lube is subject to the heat extreme of high 90s to low single digits. You MAY want to add just a touch of paraffin to stiffen it some...BUT I'd try it as is and if you find you need it slightly stiffer add a little paraffin then.

Swede44mag
03-07-2011, 01:56 PM
"357Maximum's MML is very good without a heater and through a Lyman 45I"

Where is the link/recipe?

fryboy
03-07-2011, 02:17 PM

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=294143&postcount=13

as for the original question ... the saeco green will give you the most lube for what you have and a minimal of other components to gather , if it's too soft add a bit of parrafin if too hard add either some more stp or vaseline or other oil , i'd suggest making a 1/2 batch first then adjusting as needed/desired then you would know what to do for the remaining wax and two pounds of lube is alot of boolit's worth

troy_mclure
03-07-2011, 05:26 PM

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26524&page=2

post 60

geargnasher
03-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Troy, I see you live on the Gulf Coast, and no matter what part it's all hot in the summer. As Edd mentioned, and is SO often overlooked, is climate when recommending a lube recipe. I'll tell you right now that MML is fantastic lube in the winter. You go out on a 95 degree day and it is duck poo, running into your powder and causing fliers like crazy. Adding paraffin makes it harder, but not more heat-resistant. You need a beewax based lube, forget the paraffin unless you only shoot when it's cool and never let your ammo get over 80 degrees.

Soooo, if you want to cook your own, I'd say Felix lube. That's about all I use, except this winter it was so cold I used some Speed Green and some MML I put away last summer after learning how runny it can be. If you make MML, make certain you use the kind of micro-crystalline wax that Mike recommends, it makes a big difference.

But trust me on the Felix lube, well worth the trouble, make it exactly like the directions or it won't work.

Gear

Lead Fred
03-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Troy, add a bottle of STP, and you have what I use.
For 06 and anything over 2000fps I use White Lube's 2500+

Doby45
03-08-2011, 08:35 AM
I have yet to find a reason to make lube, and that is not like me at all. I love to tinker and "create" things. But, with White Label Lube's products and prices, it is almost insanity to fiddle around with anything else. IF and when I finally make me some lube from scratch it will be Felix's lube.

excess650
03-08-2011, 10:04 PM
I have yet to find a reason to make lube, and that is not like me at all. I love to tinker and "create" things. But, with White Label Lube's products and prices, it is almost insanity to fiddle around with anything else. IF and when I finally make me some lube from scratch it will be Felix's lube.

I'll admit to having made my own lubes, both for smokeless and BP. With White Label Lube's being so inexpensive, it really isn't worth the effort to reinvent the wheel. Xlox is $11 or so a quart, stick lubes less than $2/stick, and all of his stuff gets rave reviews! Buy some Carnauba Red for the HV stuff and use your homebrew for the lower velocity stuff.

BTW, my beeswax based lube flows through a lubrisizer without heat and is 75% beeswax by weight. I had a lesser quantity (more grease and lanolin) but it was too slick.

captaint
03-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Seems like about a year ago, I got in on a group buy for Felix Lube ingredients. Maybe 45nut ran the buy?? Anyway, one of these days I fully intend to make up a batch. It is harder though, to get motivated when we have White Label products, a couple of which I'm using now. I'll make some Felix one of these days. I will. enjoy Mike

nanuk
03-11-2011, 02:00 PM
.... I love to tinker and "create" things. But....

I Hear that!

geargnasher
03-11-2011, 02:28 PM
CaptainT, it was Wiljen. I got some too, the stearic acid really makes it easy compared to soap.

Gear

mroliver77
03-16-2011, 11:55 PM
I see guys posting that making Felix lube is a hassle and complicated and yadda yadda. I have made breakfasts that took longer and were more complicated.
I use FWFL for 100% of my smokeless powder cast boolit shooting. It flows well in my cool shop and it does not bleed or get nasty when it is warm. I laid a chunk in a southern facing window sill during the summer for a month and no weeping, not a bit! I dont find it in recovered boolits but it stays in the groove while handling and loading boolits.
I invested about $20. and have enough supplies to make lube for many many years. There is just no reason for me to ever change. I am kinda bummed there is no reason to make more.
Jay