PDA

View Full Version : Pacific powder measure

abunaitoo
11-24-2006, 06:55 PM
I got one on ebay. Works very well. Kind of old school. Once set, I didn't have to trickle any powder until the hopper got low. I was loading H4895. A little slower than my drum powder drop, but not by much.
Anyone else use one of these????

Swagerman
11-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Sounds very nice using an old school powder measure, but I have no idea what the one you have looks like.

I run 4 or 5 old school powder measures, this one attached has no powder hopper, but got a new one coming with a lid.

This Redding No. 3 unit is cleaned up and repainted a darker green, waiting for the hopper I ordered to show up at my local dealer. Funny thing though, an RCBS green hopper fits perfectly on it. But I prefere a clear plastic that's easier to see through as to how much powder is in there.

It is also the heaviest powder measure I have, must weigh close to 3 or 4 lbs. It slipped out of my hands and ruined the powder spout lip, got to order a new one.

Jim

[This is the way it looked when I got it, not repainted yet]

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P3160003Reddcropped650X2b.jpg

abunaitoo
11-24-2006, 10:31 PM
This is what I have. Looks old. I've not seen one before.
I also have a hand held one that I picked up at a gun show. Haven't used it yet. I'll see if I can find it and post a picture.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o177/abunaitoo/Measure.jpg

Swagerman
11-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Now that is a right smart looken rig, bet it throws an accurate powder drop. :)

Is it for any powder can work through it.

I have this Bullseye Bonanza brass rotor drop that drops Bullseye powder, but don't see why some other brands wouldn't work through it. Will have to run some test on that one. Though I must say that the Bullseye powder is very accurate through that little PM.

Once had an Lyman Acculine brass rotor type PM with a dozen brass rotors, it was not very accurate. Still have some chart graphs that shows the powder drop charges if anyone needs them...let me know.

Hey! Abunitoo! I've got to ask...what is that gadget screwed into the red Lee press next to your PM. Is it an RCBS primer strip attacher???

Jim

Dale53
11-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Swagerman;
Sinclair International:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=REPMSP&type=store

has the neat "bottle adaptors" for most of the powder measures including Redding. They are really useful. You use a pill bottle (pharmacy size) to hold the powder (the adaptor is also the baffle) and when through, just invert the measure, screw the bottle off with the powder still in and add the bottle top. Powder is secured and you can have as many powder bottles full as you need.

The modern bench resters started this trend and I flat LOVE It!

Dale53

Swagerman
11-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Dale53, Sinclair is one fine outfit to get quality from, but a bit too pricey for a skinflint like myself. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the headsup on them.

Graf & Sons, sell the short drop tube spout for $5.35.

Jim

abunaitoo
11-25-2006, 04:47 PM
This measures H4895 very well. Once I set the measurer(?), it was within .1gr to .2gr for 80 rounds. Didn't have to use the trickler at all.
I'll probably remove the drum measure from my bench since the pacific works so well.
Got some more pictures.
First is of the Pacific hand held powder drop. Never got around to using it. Looks like it was never used.
Second is a picture of my loading bench. I don't have much room, so it's as compact as I could find. I have a Lee cast outside to resize and deprime.
Last one is of the measurer(what do you call it anyway???) for the bench top powder drop. No graduations at all, but not hard to figure out.

To Swagerman: That is a RCBS strip primer. Works great. Got it when it first came out. I also have the hand prime model. Bench one is easier on the hand.

Swagerman
11-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Albunaito, how do you adjust the amount of powder being dropped, it doesn't seem to have a rotor insert.

I guess the picture of the metal object with a nut or set knob is how you make the adjustment plus getting the amount verified with scales...then it is set for repeat operation.

Sounds like a real practical item, I may be looking for one if I can ever drag myself out to another gunshow.

Yep, just what I need another PM gizmo, I'm hooked on nostalgia.

Here is another picture of the Redding after its paint job and with an RCBS green powder hopper & lid. I'm really partial to the Redding clear plastic hopper.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P3240023croppedandbright650X.jpg

Jim :coffee:

abunaitoo
11-27-2006, 04:37 AM
Swagerman--- The last picture is what I need to use to set the amount of powder. It's a guessing game where to start. But it didn't take me to long to set it. Just dump the powder on the scale, if it's to light, screw out the screw, to heavy screw it in.
The way this thing works is kind of like a Lee disc powder drop. The hopper slides side to side on it's base. On the left side of the base is a hole. The right side is flat with no hole. The measure(third picture) goes up from the bottom of the hopper base into the hole. I need to hold the measure up while sliding the hopper to the left. The powder drops into the measure and I move the hopper to the right.
Need to pay attention when using this powder drop. If you forget to move the hopper back to the right, all the powder will drop through the hole. Never did it yet, but I know it will because that's how I emptied the hopper.
So far I've only used it with H4895. All loads were within .02gr. Didn't even have to trickle any powder..
I think this is a keeper.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
11-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Albunaito: That's A Neat Measure That's The Same Principle As My Belding &mull Measure. Super Accurate! B&m Uses Brass Drop Tubes.
Nick

Swagerman
11-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Sounds like this is the answer to a rifle man's reloading extruded powders.

Jim :)

abunaitoo
11-29-2006, 05:00 AM
I just finished loading 80 rounds with Unique powder. It worked great. Kept the weight to within .2gr. I weighed two loads, didn't load five, weighed two...... Each time I weighed a load, it was within .2gr. Can't get close to this woth my drum powder drop.
I'm also getting faster with it.
I think the drum powder drop maybe on it's way to ebay.

Cloudpeak
11-29-2006, 10:58 AM
I got one on ebay. Works very well. Kind of old school. Once set, I didn't have to trickle any powder until the hopper got low. I was loading H4895. A little slower than my drum powder drop, but not by much.
Anyone else use one of these????

I've had one of the "tall ones" with two metering drums for 35+ years. Pacific was made in Lincoln, NE, if I remember correctly, and was bought out by Hornady. Anyway, it's been a bullet proof powder measure and I still use it.

Cloudpeak