PDA

View Full Version : Ad Nauseum

pearson1662
03-07-2011, 12:48 AM
While I recognise that this has been covered in other posts (and I've done some searches and read them, too), I'll risk the wrath of those who resent the question being asked again, what load do you recommend for a 143 gr 100% WW boolit (saeco 264) to be fed through a swedish mauser 29"(I think).

I have Unique, 2400, 7828 and a wealth of slower and faster powders....

Thanks for your patience with this question. Eventually, I would like to compete in the military bolt action bench rest competitions at my gun club. I don't expect to win, I just want to compete... And I want to compete with boolits I have made myself...that's part of the allure of casting for me. I don't care if I win, I am competing with myself, more than anything else....I think you guys know what I mean...I think you're like me; you do this because it brings out the best in you....It's what keeps bringing me back to this forum...

Jay

doubs43
03-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Begin with 19.5 grains of AA-1680 and work up in 1/2 grain increments to 21.5 grains. I've found that range to work very nicely with cast boolits in the 6.5 Swede up to 168 grains.

Jack Stanley
03-07-2011, 09:35 AM
It has been a very long time since I loaded for the Swede so I really can't help you there . However , I like your attitude about competition and it's one that I found a good deal of when I started highpower .

For me , with eyes that were going out and didn't have the cash to dump several thousand dollars into a rifle , components and everything else that went along with it . I decided to take a trail that very few others did and some thought me crazy for doing so . Rather than use an AR , I used and older Garand that was sound but needed at the very least a barrel . A fella nearby has been building match rifles for years put on a good barrel and bedded it all to a solid stock I found . He put a good sight on the back and I started the learning curve .

Even when I had more money to upgrade to something "better" I didn't and just kept using that and reclaimed components . I really don't know why , but I did get some kind of satisfaction beating guys who had more into their rifle alone than I had in everything I brought to the range ...... including my truck .

Make your ammo with care and remember front sight and squeeze .

Jack

Uncle R.
03-07-2011, 09:53 AM
I decided to take a trail that very few others did and some thought me crazy for doing so . Rather than use an AR , I used and older Garand that was sound but needed at the very least a barrel . A fella nearby has been building match rifles for years put on a good barrel and bedded it all to a solid stock I found . He put a good sight on the back and I started the learning curve .

Even when I had more money to upgrade to something "better" I didn't and just kept using that and reclaimed components . I really don't know why , but I did get some kind of satisfaction beating guys who had more into their rifle alone than I had in everything I brought to the range ...... including my truck .

Make your ammo with care and remember front sight and squeeze .

Jack

VERY cool. Certainly a good Garand can attain respectable high power scores but I really like your emphasis on building skill instead of trying to buy higher scores through ever more expensive guns and gear.

Uncle R.

doubs43
03-07-2011, 12:56 PM
I really don't know why , but I did get some kind of satisfaction beating guys who had more into their rifle alone than I had in everything I brought to the range ...... including my truck. Jack

Jack, I think your feelings are pretty much universal. When I was in England, a club member used an as-issued P-14 in .303 to win a long range match against a score or more custom rifles. I felt the same way in January when I beat three or four Shiloh Sharps with my Pedersoli. Everywhere I've shot, the reaction to these events is always the same and you have the answer: develop your skills and stop trying to buy a win.

Dutchman
03-07-2011, 06:56 PM
While I recognise that this has been covered in other posts (and I've done some searches and read them, too), I'll risk the wrath of those who resent the question being asked again, what load do you recommend for a 143 gr 100% WW boolit (saeco 264) to be fed through a swedish mauser 29"(I think).

I have Unique, 2400, 7828 and a wealth of slower and faster powders....

Sized .266" and seat to touch the lands.

With Unique use 10.5 grs for around 1,500 fps.

With Alliant 2400 use 13 grs. (haven't clocked this one yet)

Dutch

Pirate69
03-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Agree with Dutch. I have been playing with keeper89's 140 grainers and 12 grains of 2400. A sweet load that groups well. Now, I just need to buy a mould.

garandsrus
03-08-2011, 11:14 AM
After you develop your skills with the Garand, shooting an AR will add about 50 points to your score! I have seen it many times and done it myself.

John

Jack Stanley
03-08-2011, 07:25 PM
After you develop your skills with the Garand, shooting an AR will add about 50 points to your score! I have seen it many times and done it myself.

John

Exactly !! ;-) It's hard on a guy who's in the process of blaming his gun when you pick it up and send them all inside the nine and ten ring :lol:

Jack

Ironnewt
03-11-2011, 04:14 AM
Exactly !! ;-) It's hard on a guy who's in the process of blaming his gun when you pick it up and send them all inside the nine and ten ring :lol:

Jack

I have to say I have done that once or twice myself and it usually (Always) brings a big smirk to my ugly mug.

Bret4207
03-11-2011, 08:55 AM
There is an immense amount of info on the Swede and cast here. Deciding what is the wheat and what is the chaff is the hard part.