PDA

View Full Version : Trouble feeding Fat 30 in magazine

StanDahl
03-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I've had trouble with the Fat 30 in my 1891 Argentine Mauser when using the magazine. The nose just jams against the end of the magazine below the ramp and stops there. I was able to get it working a while back by setting the bullet back in the case and crimping it in the upper crimp groove, but now, nothing works. I've tried both crimp grooves, same result. If I fill the mag., some will feed, and others won't.

J******d bullets still feed perfectly, but that's not what I'm going to be using the the CMP match next weekend. (If I wasn't such a procrastinator, I'd have cast up some 314299's for the Krag and not worried about it, but...)

I opened up the magazine and cleaned it out and tried to gently bend the spring so it would push the nose up more, but no luck. I'm wondering it the two lips(?) at the top are too tight and are keeping the round down too low, but I haven't done anything that would cause that that I'm aware of. The cases were full length sized, so they're not fatter than they should be.

I've got to order one of those 314299's in a .315 and leave these Fat 30's behind. Meanwhile, what gives? Any ideas?