PDA

View Full Version : New record?

btroj
03-06-2011, 08:55 PM
This is post 1000 for me. Joins 5/30/2006. Almost 5 years to get to 1000. Most of those posts are in last 6 months.

How long did it take other to get to this point?

Brad

Wayne Smith
03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
I never bothered to pay attention. Couldn't tell you even within 1,000 what the number of this post is. Obviously, I don't care!

frankenfab
03-06-2011, 10:08 PM
I thought this was going to be a new shooting/target record :(

Me, too!:veryconfu

beanflip
03-06-2011, 10:29 PM
I joined in 08 I better get on it or it will be more than 5 years for the big 1000 posts.

btroj
03-06-2011, 10:36 PM
I am not good enough to set shooting records!

Sorry guys.

Blammer
03-06-2011, 10:50 PM
hmm, wonder how many posts I have?

white eagle
03-06-2011, 10:52 PM
my post count is ...............

Von Gruff
03-07-2011, 01:00 AM
I am not even half way there yet Brad. But for me it is not about the post count as much as it is conversing with like minded shooters and casters and handloaders.

Von Gruff.

geargnasher
03-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Hang on, I gotta check.

[edit] Geez I'm long-winded. What did you do six months ago to give you so much time here, Brad?

Gear

btroj
03-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Nothing major happened except I decided to chime in more.

BudRow
03-07-2011, 08:04 AM
There is life beyond the Thunderdome.

Recluse
03-07-2011, 07:17 PM
There are a few other forums I am a member of, however I am in generally "Lurk Only" mode. There's an aviation forum, a handloading forum, a leather working forum (I'm too intimidated to post anything there--those folks are ARTISTS!) and a few others I check in about once or twice a month.

Cast Boolits is the only place I really care to chime in and contribute.

Why?

Because of the folks here. May not get along with every single member, or even like them from time to time, but that's not what is important here. We take care of our own.

For instance, Chargar and I just see things from polar opposite ends of the spectrum, even though we're both hardcore Texans. But if I heard he was in a bad way and needed something that I could provide, I'm dropping what I'm doing and I'm there. Period. Mike in Co, same thing.

I have learned immense amounts from both of these fine men, but in a community such as ours, it is unreasonable to think that we're all going to get along and hold hands and smooch on each other 24/7/365.

Which is another reason I call Cast Boolits my home. We're boolit casters, reloaders and shooters. That means we're realists and pragmatists. We don't see life, or the world through rose-colored glasses. (Smoke colored, maybe :))--we see life how it is and we deal with it accordingly.

Good stuff and good folks.

:coffee:

btroj
03-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Well said Recluse. I often get my hackle up when I read things here. But I realize my view is no more valid than someone elses. This is why I don't mind some of the heated discussions here, although they do get silly at times.

In the end we are all a big happy family. We just have ALOT of odd cousins........

mroliver77
03-07-2011, 07:39 PM
My 10 1/2 YO daughter likes to read some of the posts here. She was very concerned and helpful when GW need a helping hand. When she noticed I had very close to 1000 posts it was exciting for her. She really wanted that boolit by my name. For days I heard " 10 more, 9 more ....". When the big time came I let her post it. It was a big deal for her. I was happy she then lost interest and I could get back to reading. :)
When I am in a lot of pain I spend much more time on here. When I feel good I am off trying to make up for the down time. I had lots of down time this winter.
Jay

Bret4207
03-08-2011, 07:16 AM
You guys do know when you hit 5000 they give you a brand new Chrysler Cordoba, compete with rich Corinthian leather interior, right? Mine should be here any day...

btroj
03-08-2011, 08:05 AM
You guys do know when you hit 5000 they give you a brand new Chrysler Cordoba, compete with rich Corinthian leather interior, right? Mine should be here any day...

There goes the site. It will be swamped by people wanting a new car.
[smilie=w:

Brad

missionary5155
03-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Good morning
Yep.. Castboolits is my home page. I guess what really sealed the deal for me was the good attitude of everyone.. Be helpful was obvious.

klcarroll
03-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Hey! .....I had a Chrysler Cordoba with "Rich Corinthian Leather"!! There was even a picture of Ricardo Montalbán in the glove box!!!

Kent

Recluse
03-08-2011, 12:47 PM
You guys do know when you hit 5000 they give you a brand new Chrysler Cordoba, compete with rich Corinthian leather interior, right?

So you have TWO of them? :holysheep

I remember the Chrysler Cordoba. . . wasn't a bad looking car, actually. It was just. . . just. . . that it was a Chrysler, and back then Chrysler was Detroit-speak for junk.

Now, the generation before the Cordoba and those stupid K-cars, Chrysler ruled the muscle car world. Nothing beat that 426 Hemi, and the 440 Magnum six-pack was pretty danged stout too.

Maybe we get one of those when we get 15000 posts?

felix
03-08-2011, 01:32 PM
To me, the best "normal" engine was the Chrysler 10 cylinder in that it was made to deliver "torque" over a very wide RPM range. Engines like that are not fuel efficient unless severe games are played with varying the fuel flow ignition requirements over that range. Just too much of a good thing for today's economy. Pay at the showroom AND pay at the pump kills the idea completely. ... felix

Bret4207
03-08-2011, 06:46 PM
I had a love affair with the old Slant 6 in a 74 Duster. What a great car. Mileage in the 20's if I kept my foot out of it, lots of heat, handled well, looked good and rode great. The rust finally got it. Another guy had an early 70's 1/2 ton 4wd PU with a slant 6. I think it topped out at about 65 but it was a torque monster in the woods. They weren't a real smooth or well balanced engine but they'd run forever with dismal maintainance and take loads of abuse.

Now, if we want to talk outright scary fast then remind me to tell you about my 71 Roadrunner 383. It wasn't as fast as my 76 Gran Fury ex-troop car that would bury the 140 mph speedo and still have 2" of gas pedal left, but it got from 0-140 so fast your eye balls, would roll over into the back of your skull, which was a problem for the driver since he no longer had eyeballs up where God intended......

9.3X62AL
03-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Ya ever hoist up a Slant-6? THAT was one heavy chunk of Detroit-based iron.

I'm kinda liking those "Imported From Detroit"-themed Mopar ad spots on TV. Might be Madison Avenue schlock, but I like the message of Buy American.

klcarroll
03-08-2011, 07:05 PM
So you have TWO of them? :holysheep

I remember the Chrysler Cordoba. . . wasn't a bad looking car, actually. It was just. . . just. . . that it was a Chrysler, and back then Chrysler was Detroit-speak for junk.

Now, the generation before the Cordoba and those stupid K-cars, Chrysler ruled the muscle car world. Nothing beat that 426 Hemi, and the 440 Magnum six-pack was pretty danged stout too.

Maybe we get one of those when we get 15000 posts?

Hmmmmmm!!!! ......Recluse: ......You're forgetting that the first generation Cordoba (1975-1979) was available with the big block 400 CID plant and the A727 transmission!!

....Now that 400 was an engine that you NEVER had to apologize for, and that 727 TorqueFlite transmission was arguably the best automatic transmission ever made by man!!

(....That was the engine/transmission combination MY Cordoba had!):bigsmyl2:

Ahhhhh.............., The "good old days"!!!!

Kent

klcarroll
03-08-2011, 07:11 PM
......And @Brett;

You're quite right! .......The Old "Chinese Six" was probably the most durable engine Chrysler ever produced!!

I was employed for years maintaining heavy equipment powered by that plant.

Kent

Mal Paso
03-08-2011, 07:14 PM
The best "Chrysler" engine is the Cummins Diesel! :hijack:

klcarroll
03-08-2011, 07:52 PM
The best "Chrysler" engine is the Cummins Diesel! :hijack:

YAWN!!!!!.........................

Diesels pull "Lead Sleds" and kill mosquitos: ........Big Blocks make history!

:kidding::kidding::kidding:

Kent

felix
03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Yeah history is important to us across the board, literally. But, cars should not be included with our guns because of the dramatic cost of upkeep of the latter. The best engine is the electric motor, with computer controls for current demand and the location(s) of that current flow within the motor. The number of poles (cylinders) "fired" can easily satisfy the torque requirements of the moment, including the eradication of driving wheels without mandatory current limiters. Keeping the bearings in check will allow the motor to serve several driver lifetimes. The electronics (computers) exist now to do all of this, which leaves only the electrical power source in question. ... felix

klcarroll
03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
...........The best engine is the electric motor, with computer controls for current demand and the location(s) of that current flow within the motor..............

May be.............., but it just doesn't make the same "music" that a Big Block Chrysler does at 4500 rpm!!!!!

........It's kinda like comparing the earth-shaking "THUD" of a .50-140 to the "crack" of a 5.56mm!! .......That sharp "crack" may represent current, high tech design, ...but it fails to properly honor a century and a half of tradition!

:kidding::kidding::kidding:

Kent

felix
03-08-2011, 10:13 PM
I cry too, Kent, hearing the sound of Pontiac's performance cams, even the lower lift models which support the long and snappy durations of the majors. ... felix

Bret4207
03-09-2011, 07:42 AM
I don't know how many of you know what a Gravely tractor is, but it's 1930's tech that still hasn't been equaled with modern tech for a similar price. What Ben gravely did with a single cyl, T-head long stroke, low RPM gas engine todays engineers need huge, expensive one lung diesels to do. We just don't make use of low speed gasoline engines anymore. They certainly have their place, but no one seems to realize that. Same thing applies to farm equipment. When we think of the hours put on our cars and trucks compared to our tractors...why is that '48 Case still ticking along like new and my '97 F150 is a basket case? Is it planned obsolescence or lack of quality?

Hey, lets really talk nostalgia and talk steam.

felix
03-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Steam? You betcha'. Like an electric motor having 100 percent torque at 0 RPM. A railroad engine was built some time ago using some liquid other that water re-circulated and powered by a nuke heat generator. Two engines were built by some outfit around Pittsburgh according to specs designed by a team at the University of Colorado for the Salad Express route. Bill Lear, of Lear Jet fame, was involved as well because the same liquid was used in the design of a car for Saab previously. Have no idea what happened to the cars or train engines. ... felix

crabo
03-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Yep, tractors can do it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ThSi1wbqU

Recluse
03-10-2011, 02:44 PM
We just don't make use of low speed gasoline engines anymore. They certainly have their place, but no one seems to realize that. Same thing applies to farm equipment. When we think of the hours put on our cars and trucks compared to our tractors...why is that '48 Case still ticking along like new and my '97 F150 is a basket case? Is it planned obsolescence or lack of quality?

Small (general aviation) airplane engines still use that same "tractor engine" technology, as they are low-speed, low-rpm, air-cooled engines.

And look at what they do in terms of altitudes they handle, varying temperatures, etc.

Redline on our Cessna 172 with a Continental O-300 six-cylinder engine is 2700 rpm. That's with no gears, reduction or otherwise, just straight rpms coming off the prop.

That engine will easily go 2000 hours before it needs to be overhauled.

10x
03-12-2011, 10:51 AM
hmm, wonder how many posts I have?

Not enough for the Cordoba...

I was given a Cordoba with the big (400 cid) engine. It got great gas mileage and had loads of horsepower. I had it for a week and sold it to a neighbor who's car clapped out on him.
I regret that sale.

10x
03-12-2011, 11:04 AM
I don't know how many of you know what a Gravely tractor is, but it's 1930's tech that still hasn't been equaled with modern tech for a similar price. What Ben gravely did with a single cyl, T-head long stroke, low RPM gas engine todays engineers need huge, expensive one lung diesels to do. We just don't make use of low speed gasoline engines anymore. They certainly have their place, but no one seems to realize that. Same thing applies to farm equipment. When we think of the hours put on our cars and trucks compared to our tractors...why is that '48 Case still ticking along like new and my '97 F150 is a basket case? Is it planned obsolescence or lack of quality?

Hey, lets really talk nostalgia and talk steam.

Way back in the 1950s the hamlet (450 ) people where I went to school (after the one room schoolhouse) had electricity generated by a single cylinder two stroke diesel that ran between 50 and 90 rpm.
This engine stands about eight feet tall and has a piston that is 9-10" in diameter.
When they finally decomissioned the power plant they disassembled the engine to put it in storage. The cross hatch of the final hone when it was manufactured was still visible in the lower part of the bore where the rings did not ride and the bore under the rings was polished but still within 0.0005" of the original manufacturers specs.

Two man rail speeders had an engine that ran at about 30-60 rmp. The things were very fuel efficient and would fire once every two to three seconds and coast for a couple of revolutions, then fire again when the rmp started to drop.

The local grain elevators had single cylinder low speed gas engines to power the grain lifts as well. Most of these had dual flywheels of at least 6 feet in diameter. One had dual fly wheels that were 8 feet.

Thank you for prompting the memories of big engines.

300winmag
03-12-2011, 11:10 AM

since you are coming up on your 3rd vehicle do you get the pick of the litter??????? Ha! Ha!

Bret4207
03-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Way back in the 1950s the hamlet (450 ) people where I went to school (after the one room schoolhouse) had electricity generated by a single cylinder two stroke diesel that ran between 50 and 90 rpm.
This engine stands about eight feet tall and has a piston that is 9-10" in diameter.
When they finally decomissioned the power plant they disassembled the engine to put it in storage. The cross hatch of the final hone when it was manufactured was still visible in the lower part of the bore where the rings did not ride and the bore under the rings was polished but still within 0.0005" of the original manufacturers specs.

Two man rail speeders had an engine that ran at about 30-60 rmp. The things were very fuel efficient and would fire once every two to three seconds and coast for a couple of revolutions, then fire again when the rmp started to drop.

The local grain elevators had single cylinder low speed gas engines to power the grain lifts as well. Most of these had dual flywheels of at least 6 feet in diameter. One had dual fly wheels that were 8 feet.

Thank you for prompting the memories of big engines.

There are some books describing engines like those. I've seen the remnants, but never have seen one run in person. Seen lots of the little make and breaks, pretty efficient little rigs if they're set right. What really peaks my interest is the Lister type diesels. Of course our Glorious Leaders have banned their import I understand.

BOOM BOOM
03-12-2011, 11:06 PM
HI,
Probably had over a 1,000 on the old AIMEOO site, do not even know how many I have here. Not a big concern.

mroliver77
03-15-2011, 08:53 PM
My Oliver 77 has an inline 6 cyl engine. IIRC it is 194 c.i.d with 6 1/2-1 compression running at 1600rpm. With low compression, low rpm and massive shell type engine bearings they last forever. Grandad had stellite valves, not sure about seats put in. In the 40's Dad told of the tractors being run 24 hr day to keep up with wartime demand. Having many sons, daughters and wives that could run the tractor this was not a big deal. Even when I was young we would plow or work ground in shifts to get it done. With a 2 X16" or 3 X14" plow it took a while to plow and fit the ground. I would get up early and get in an hour or two plowing before the bus came. I would have gas, oil and greasejob taken care of and engine warmed so Grandad could jump on and go. This old girl did everything but the cultivating on our .little 50 acres from 48 - 85 and has been my wood cutting brush hogging, car rolling truck farming buddy since then.I cannot imagine how many tens of thousands of hours are on it. The bottom end has never been down. It is loose and uses oil but I change it frequently and it carries good oil pressure.
Now I am looking for an efficient stationary engine to spin an alternator.
Jay