PDA

View Full Version : My first catastrophe

Bloodman14
03-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Well, I had my first reloading accident; I loaded 3 rounds of 7.62 x 39 for my Yugo SKS with what I thought was 13.5 grs. of 2400. I was looking for Ed Harris' load that is discussed in the top of this page. I had picked up the 1.9cc dipper instead of the 1.0 cc dipper, which gave me 25.6 grs! I went out to the backyard, loaded up, and aiming at a milk jug, squeezed the trigger. BAM!! Recoil out the wazoo, ears are ringing incredibly loud, and smoke is rolling out of the receiver; the mag and the other two rounds are on the ground. After getting back to the garage, I assessed the damage. Permanent burn mark on the Tapco mag, the bolt won't open, and smoke is still coming out. Using a dead-blow hammer, I managed to coax the bolt free, and brass pieces started falling out; not good. I used a tap to get the case out (what was left of it), and saw something that has me asking for advice. Is the chamber 'ringed', or not (see last pic)? I admit that I never paid much attention to the chamber prior to this incident. I really hope that this rifle is not a goner, because it is one of my favorites.

btroj
03-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Oh **** doesn't quite cover it.

I suppose this is why I recheck the measure even after I know it is right. Even if I come back to the measure later and it hasn't been changed I still check it 3 times or so.

Glad YOU are ok. Have only seen one Kaboom and that was enough.

Brad

Jim
03-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Gunnerd, I won't say a thing to you about your mistake. Check out WHAT I DID (http://fgsp.wordpress.com/2010/12/05/on-the-brink-of-disaster/). I'm just glad you're not hurt. That could have been really bad.

Dean D.
03-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Just glad you were not hurt! Thanks for sharing with us, we can never be reminded too often to check and re-check when handloading.

excess650
03-06-2011, 09:26 PM
That is DEFINITELY one of those OH S#!t moments! Lucky for you that SKS was ROBUST.

I have NEVER used dippers for powder charges. I've always weighed and trickled, or used a measure that I trust, and set the measure by weighing a combined 10 charges so as to mimize any error the scale might have.

If that were my SKS, I would disassemble and examine as much as possible. Reassemble and check for function manually if the disassembly didn't reveal any issues. Load light loads with WEIGHED charges and increase charges gradually while testing for potential issues.

While at the range on Friday I was picking up brass between groups. The brass was mostly 223, but there were some others. Several of the 223s had BLOWN primers, torn rims, and ejector marks extruded into the case heads. I'll bet the guy had no idea since he appeared to have shot and not retrieved his brass. One of these days he'll experience one of those moments himself....

If you don't have a powder scale, GET ONE!!!!

Dutchman
03-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I use dippers all the time. It's not the dipper that caused this problem. It was the dippee.

Very glad you weren't hurt.

Now hang that rifle on the wall and keep it there to remind you sh*t happens when you least expect it.

Dutch

JeffinNZ
03-06-2011, 09:55 PM
As long as you are OK, that's what matters.

BorderBrewer
03-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Glad your ok man. Weigh those charges please.

Ernest
03-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Well I wish I had only one mistake to talk about...... Loading and shooting now for over 40 years and I have had my share. But as I get older , and well I'd like to think wiser, but really just more obsessive compulsive I've had less mess ups. But tomorrow is a new day and lord knows I'll probably find a brand spanking new way to screw up.

If that was my sks I would reload some rounds that would not function the action and shoot them and manually extract and examine and measure the cases. that should tell you if the chamber is ringed or swollen. You could also do a cerrosafe casting of the chanber area an examine and measure.

Good luck and don't beat yourself up. Wisdom comes from experience.

HANDYMAN
03-06-2011, 10:11 PM
That is a true testament to the strength of a milled SKS receiver!!!

jingles
03-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I witnessed a KABOOM a few years back while shooting in a HP match. The shooter to my left was using an M1 Garand w/handloads. We were in the offhand stage when he fired a round which caused the rifle to BLOW UP. It split the stock lengthwise and partily peeled the heel of the receiver open. The shooter got metal fragments in his hand & face. Luckily the bolt didntn't blow right through the heel of the receiver. He was wearing glasses so that saved his eyes. I was about 6 ft. away and could feel the pressure of the blast. So be careful & weigh those loads.

mooman76
03-06-2011, 10:38 PM
I use the dippers quite a bit but I always weigh my charges too. I don't weigh every one but just like the powder throwers I weigh the first few to make sure I am consistant and clear on what my charges are. Then I weigh every so often to make sure I am still there. I don't use a trickler unless I am really push the edge but I like a margin for error so I rarely do that. Glad you weren't hurt, that's the best thing and as long as you've learned from it that the second best. I was going shooting with an older gentleman but he made me really nervous. He was 20 years my senior and loaded for over 40 years. He would wander down without telling me while we were shooting. He mixed powders that he found out of pulled rounds and old or unknown powder. He had his setup so he didn't have to weigh any powder because he knew what they all cam out to. He also talked about blowing up a couple guns like it was no big deal. Nice old guy but I wish he was more careful.

Ole
03-06-2011, 11:12 PM
That's not a catastrophe, it's a relatively cheap lesson.

It could have been a lot worse with a 60-70% overcharge of a pistol powder.

Glad you're OK.

Smoke-um if you got-um
03-07-2011, 12:17 AM
I admire your willingness to admit a mistake and even post pictures !! I too am glad you were not injured. The photo's made me take a hard look and promise myself to
"measure twice and cut once".
Thanks,

Mike

Phat Man Mike
03-07-2011, 12:19 AM
man I'm glad your ok and living to tell about it!! I use the lee powder on my turent press and check every 10th drop to check the powder weight.. I don't need any ut oh's or oh holly sh%t loads happening to me..

3006guns
03-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Well, I'm not gonna offer advice, etc.......you already have enough. As to your question though:

I can't quite see the chamber clearly enough to determine if there's a ring, but here's how I'd start off. Disassemble the whole rifle. Clean and slug the barrel, feeling for any "loose" spots. If there are none, good. If there is a loose spot, junk the barrel. Next I'd get someone who really knows SKS's and has some gauges to check lugs and recesses in the receiver. Check for and replace any bent parts, etc. at the same time.

The SKS is an amazingly stout little rifle so it's possible you just gave it a good hiccup. If everything checks out reassemble and shoot!

By the way, I use dippers all the time.....but my biggest goof was charging about 75 .38 S&W cases with Bullseye instead of Unique, and then mixing them in with a bunch of properly charged cases. I had to pull about 200 rounds apart to make SURE I got all the bad ones, then reload them all.

Edit: You didn't by any chance chronograph that last shot, did you?

stubshaft
03-07-2011, 01:14 AM
That's a life lesson. If you live through it you remember it for life. Glad you weren't hurt.

Can't see the chamber well enough to tell if it is ringed. You can try and pour a chamber cast and measure the cast against your previous once fired brass to determine if you have any areas that are grossly expanded.

Hang Fire
03-07-2011, 01:16 AM
I use dippers all the time. It's not the dipper that caused this problem. It was the dippee.

Very glad you weren't hurt.

Now hang that rifle on the wall and keep it there to remind you sh*t happens when you least expect it.

Dutch

I use dippers quite often also, but, I do weigh every 10th charge, same as if they were thrown from a powder measure. Guess old habits just die hard.

303Guy
03-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Glad you're OK - that's the important thing.

It's fear of that kind of mistake which I know I'm quite capable of that makes me use a powder that fills the case and not keep two powders that look the same. The little guage thing that some folks use for checking those 'not full' loads is a good idea too. (You know, the wood dowel with the calibration marks on them?) My other fast powder trick is to use a charge that is less than half the safe max in case I double charge and don't catch it. Yup - I'm dead scared of that exact scenario! Way too easy. (For me anyway).[smilie=1:

Multigunner
03-07-2011, 01:46 AM
I always liked the Three Stooges way of pronouncing catastrophy, they called a Ca-tasta-stroke.

Glad no one got hurt.
The pressure may have been too much for the brass but not necessarily too much for the safety margin of the action.
Still I would be very careful in looking for cracks, setback, or a swollen chamber.

Best clean out the firing pin hole. I'd hate to hear of a slamfire due to a tiny fragment of brass holding the pin forwards while chambering a round.

Multigunner
03-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Gunnerd, I won't say a thing to you about your mistake. Check out WHAT I DID (http://fgsp.wordpress.com/2010/12/05/on-the-brink-of-disaster/). I'm just glad you're not hurt. That could have been really bad.

Cool, the famous .30X57 Wildcat. Looks like fireforming cases for it would be a real chore.

Hatcher's Notebook mentions a number of similar incidents, some ending a lot worse.
A gunsmith once posted of accidently chambering an 8X57 in a 7.7 Japanese. With that particular rifle's generous bore size there was no noticable damage, but its not something anyone would want to do once much less more than once.

Bullshop
03-07-2011, 02:40 AM
I read that the reason they put the extra fat belt on the 450 Marlin was they found that if they used the standard belt a 450 marlin loaded round would chamber in a 300 Weatherby. I would not want to be the guy that touched off that combo.

azcruiser
03-07-2011, 03:06 AM
Everyone will screw up sooner than later.From what I've seen over the year it's more likely to happen when we rush or are thinking about something else .Can't wait to head to the range ect
when reloading don't think speed-rounds per hour got to do this or that avoid distractions .Keep a clear head
and enjoy reloading .Always wear eye and ear protection both shooter and bystanders even with light ??? loads .If your in a rush do it another day or at least stop and think why am i in a hurry. Fun stuff you should enjoy the time doing it . my 2 cents

John 242
03-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Glad you're safe and thanks for sharing. I think we all need to be reminded from time to time that there is the potential for some serious consequences if we fail to pay attention to what were doing. I'm guilty of reloading while being distracted or in a hurry, so I thank you for the warning that I need to SLOW DOWN and DOUBLE CHECK the next time I reload.

Somebody already mentioned it, but I'd like to re-emphasize that you might want to make sure that the locking lugs on that bolt and bolt carrier didn't suffer any damage. It would be a real bummer if the lugs were to shatter the next time you shoot that thing.

I use Lee dippers too, but I check each charge on a scale. Probably not necessary, but it makes me feel comfortable. I'm just not very consistent with them, so I trickle up until I get the charge right.

I'm glad you were alright and I hope that your rifle turns out good to go.

dragonrider
03-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Glad you were not hurt and incedents like this, while scary and can cause serious injury, will make you a safer reloader.
I have always consider the markings and load chart for Lee dippers to be "reference only" and weigh five charges in a row before I will trust it to be close enough.

HollowPoint
03-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Although I never did find the cause of my "BlowUp," I can tell you that I've been there and done that.

I'm glad you're alive to tell the story.

Many of us read of such things happening but, unless or until it happens to us personally, we never know the scare, the confusion or the disorientation that takes place in the milliseconds during which and immediately after these catastrophes happen.

The best description I can think of is what I've heard referred to as being, "Shell-Shocked."

HollowPoint

1Shirt
03-07-2011, 11:44 AM
That you are not hurt is a blessing, and a learning experiance. There is an old yankee sayin, "the only people who don't make mistakes are those who do nothing". That said, this is why I weigh all finished loads that have less than 1/2 of the case full of powder. Usually applies to fast burning powders. As to dippers, I double check, and weigh what is in the dipper before I proceed. No such thing as being to safe. Good luck!
1Shirt!:coffee:

songdog53
03-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Man glad you ok and just shows we all muck up once in while, just remember kaboom and learn from it. All we mere mortals can do.

Moonie
03-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Everyone should remember that you should always weigh your initial powder charge to verify. Then weigh every 10'th charge. This is how I was taught to reload. I look at it this way, my children shoot my reloads, I do not trust my memory or measures enough to risk them in any way.

Glad you're ok.

Char-Gar
03-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I am glad the rifle was the only casualty. I could have been much worse. In 50 plus years of loading the worse I have had was a couple of squib loads, never an overcharge. There is an obvious lesson here.

Ajax
03-07-2011, 04:18 PM
You should be careful. The same innattention that causes a squib load could just as easily cause a double charge. It is easy to become complacent in our reloading steps. that is why we must remain ever vigilant in the basics.

Andy

mustanggt
03-07-2011, 11:43 PM
You are a blessed man. I have seen alot of examples for me to learn from and yours will be added to the list. I do not use dippers to measure with I use only the digital scale backed up by the RCBS 505 scale. The dippers can work for guys for years. I just prefer to leave those out of the equation as I can't even scoop coffee into the coffee filter basket without saying to myself, "Was that 4 scoops or 5?" As has already been stated by others I weigh each charge for all rifle powder and when using faster pistol powders I weigh every 10th charge. I've only let one squib make it to the range. I've always caught my mistake at the bench. Needless to say I tightened up my QC procedures considerably after that one and only squib load.

jonk
03-09-2011, 03:09 PM
I witnessed a KABOOM a few years back while shooting in a HP match. The shooter to my left was using an M1 Garand w/handloads. We were in the offhand stage when he fired a round which caused the rifle to BLOW UP. It split the stock lengthwise and partily peeled the heel of the receiver open. The shooter got metal fragments in his hand & face. Luckily the bolt didntn't blow right through the heel of the receiver. He was wearing glasses so that saved his eyes. I was about 6 ft. away and could feel the pressure of the blast. So be careful & weigh those loads.

Now that's very odd.

If he was using a powder suitable to the M1, like 4895, even filling the case to the brim wouldn't cause it to blow. Ruin the op rod, maybe crack the stock, but not blow.

He must have had something else going on.

mustanggt
03-09-2011, 10:33 PM
I can't imagine why he would have blown it up either unless he was using a powder way outside the correct burn rate for the Garand like alot of Unique or Retumbo etc. Always an outside chance it was the perfect storm waiting to happen, parts all wore out, blockage from squib load, bad load all at the same time. Possible but not probable. Interesting to know.

Bloodman14
03-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Well, the SKS seems to be O.K; I will need to get a couple of small parts that were damaged, but other than that, I think she's good to go. Slight peening damage on the firing pin, bolt face and receiver rail next to the extractor which a whetstone took care of. I saved the pieces of the case as a reminder to check my measures/dippers and settings.

Char-Gar
03-13-2011, 01:33 PM
I have been shooting all of my life and hand-loading for well over 50 years. I have never had, nor witnessed a "kaboom". Seems like these are expected and rather common events these days.

3006guns
03-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Gunnerd, glad to hear the damage to the rifle was minimal and damage to you was non existant. Like I said, those sks's are tough little beasts.

Reloading mistakes can happen and believe me, I've made my share. Don't beat yourself up, just be greatful that everything turned out for the best and you have some advice now to share with a new reloader! Nothing like a real life example for a teaching aid.

hicard
03-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Out of an 18" barrel, you should have gotten about 2507 fps with 2163 foot pounds and 96405 psi from that load. This is by my quickload program and I assumed you were loading a 160 gr Lee lead bullet, didn't have that information.

Bloodman14
03-14-2011, 11:15 AM
hicard, it was the Lee 155-2R. Loob was a mod of Ben's Red. That barrel is clean now, boy!

Rangefinder
03-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Man, close call. Glad you're OK.

These things definitely make us all stand up and pay attention. I had a pretty close call a while back with dippers, but caught it before I got more than a few cases charged. Typically I'm OCD about reloading--just got lax once and almost paid for it dearly.

TYPICALLY, what I do though is select my dipper, throw it on the beam scale, throw that on the electronic scale to confirm accuracy, and then proceed from there with a scoop, electronic scale, charge--then throw every 10th scoop on the beam to make sure things aren't tracking off. It's a bit OCD--I know--but I'm of the mind I would rather be able to think back the next day and KNOW everything in the box is right-on-the-money. I hate pulling bullets just because I can't be sure of something, and I really don't want to find out the hard way something was off.

Crash_Corrigan
03-14-2011, 05:38 PM
One day my wife while shooting my EA Witness Match Elite 9 MM had a kaboom. Apparently I had a squib load in a round and she lit it off. She was shooting rapid fire and did not catch the pop instead of a boom when it fired and she fired off the next shot.

The squip had lodged in the barrel and the full power loading round was fired into an obstructed barrel. Some liquid or liquidified grease came back onto her cheeks and glasses and her hand was stung somewhat. And of course I heard it being right next to her and being a good soldier she kept the gun pointed downrange and asked me to investigate what was going on.

I took the gun and dropped the mag. I could open the slide somewhat but it was not opening fully. Examining the barrel from the front I could see that it was clear. However it was bulged and the slide would not retract over the bulged barrel. Then I noticed that the barrel was spilit with a small crack from the bulged out area frontwards to the muzzle. The barrel was toast.

My gunny sent the gun back to EAA in Florida and a new barrel was fitted to the gun. No other damage to it except for the bulged and split barrel.

I have had squib loads before that that was way back when I started in the reloading game....nothing in the past 10 years...but I always keep in the back of my mind if something unusual happens stop and investige....just don't keep on shooting cuz something bad could happen.

Thank goodness for a decently made gun that EAA Witness made that held up and contained the blast and allowed nobody to get hurt. If that had been a polymer framed gun I doubt that my wife would have been uninjured by this mishap. When I bought that gun I wanted a heavyweight target 9MM with good sights and a good trigger for long sessions of shooting practice at a low cost.

The cost of 9MM rounds made from WW's is a joke and I find 9 MM casings everywhere. It is a very cheap round to shoot and it is good practice so when I go to the more expensive rounds I can get good results without spending a lot of money on ammo. My sight alighnment, grip and trigger control have improved immensely by using cheap 9 MM rounds.

NickSS
03-14-2011, 05:47 PM
I sure am glade that you were not hurt and that your weapon held together. I have seen the results of two KABOOMS where this was not true. A friend of mine blew up a brand new Remington 1100 shotgun with a double charge of Red Dot. Barrel split, fore arm Shattered reciever split and bolt was nowhere to be found and he had wood splinters in his arm and side as he was shooting from the hip when it happened. The other was a Muzzle loader where the guy did not ram the ball all the way down the barrel and it stopped right under the dovetail cut for the rear sight. He was standing in front of me about five feet when it happened. There was a very load KABOOM and the stock was split and about a foot long section of the upper flat of the octagon barrel was missing. Fortunately he was not hurt nor anyone else around him. Later we found the piece of barrel that was blown off about 100 yards down range and there was a purfect imprint of the ball right under the dovetail slot. The rear sight was history. So the motto is be obsesively careful or it could be worse next time.

nelsonted1
03-15-2011, 01:35 AM
I wrote this in another post a long time ago. It would really be something if it was the same match Jingles referred to in the first page!

Several yrs ago I was living in MN and wanted to start competitive shooting. I tried IPSIC but disliked the attitude of the group and gave up. I went to a High Power match in Faribault MN to talk and watch.

I happened to be watching a guy shooting an m14 in the standing position when the rifle went BOOM!, the guy rears back holding the rifle stock vertical still on his shoulder with the forearm split in a V like the two fingered victory sign Churchill used. The best part was the barrel and action was doing flip flops flying up in the air then landing at the feet of the spotter!!!

I stopped the match while his brother and I felt around the guys forehead for pieces of brass or steel embedded under the skin. Except for the bleeding he was physically fine but boy was he addled!

He'd bought the M14 from the brother who was spotting that day for $1000. The brother had purchased a new-built one from a smith and had taken delivery the day before.

The day after the match the smith drove several hours to see the brothers and find out how the old rifle had detonated. They walked over to the counter and found a bottle of AA7 sitting there and the scale set for 42 grains! Turns out the brother had loaded AA7 instead of 4895 into a rifle!!!

BANG!

TED NELSON

krag35
03-16-2011, 12:15 AM

Friend of mine sold a Nagant that had been rechambered to 30/06 ( Bannermans ?) The dingus he sold it to went to the store and told them he needed "Mouser" ammo, Dingus behind the counter could only think of 8X57 Mauser ammo and sold them to him. Dingus #1 brought the rifle back along with half the box of 8mm ammo and wanted his money back because the rifle "kicked" too much. Chris bought it back, because in his words" idots don't need to be armed"

krag35
03-16-2011, 12:32 AM
I have a friend named Chris (last name witheld to protect the guilty) that I used to run around alot with. He was on a 6.5X55 kick and had picked up a real nice Swede at a gun show. He also picked up several boxes of opened 6.5 mm bullets, but no dies, and he had brass. I forget the cobbled up method he had for loading for it, but it included dies not made for the 6.5X55. Any way out shooting one day his sweede goes BOOM!!!!! Sent him to the Emergency room with powder under his skin, and a banged up finger for stitches. He was using surplus slow powder, so a double charge could not be a problem. I had a 6.5, so he gave me the bullets ( no rifle left to shoot them in for him) While loading for my 6.5 with his bullets in my 6.5X55 dies, one of the bullets hung up in the seater die. I fiddled around with it and got it out, and found it was a .277 dia bullet, found 3 more in that box of bullets that he was loading from when his rifle went boom. .277 does not go down a .266 bore without pressure problems.

He also found out that 30 Mauser and 7.62 Tokarev ammo are not interchangable in a C-96 broomhandle. That lesson left a mark on his forehead, and a dent in his wallet.

NHlever
03-16-2011, 06:49 PM
No lectures from me! I am just really happy to hear that you are OK! Do go over the gun carefully. Others here know a lot more about that kind of firearm than I so I'll let them advise.

matm0702
03-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Glad your safe. Had a close call while load testing for a 7.62x54r. Failed to charge one of the cases and fired a squib load. Fortunately I noticed the weak sound and ran a cleaning rod thru the barrel. A little tap on the rod and the projectile fell out.47 grains of Varget would have been nasty if a loaded round had been fired behind
the first so it was a close call. Check the back of your sks bolt and the mating surface on the reciever for any damage and if able to run a headspece guage to see if anything may have changed. SKS's are tough old rifles as I've chronied some hot factory stuff thru mine.

Mike

gew98
05-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Glad your ok man. Weigh those charges please.

Sage advice here. I don't use nor will ever use dippers. I had a ziploc baggie with a couple dozen I tried to sell...tossed 'em all in the fire pit.
The dippers always seemed to vary way too much for my taste.

gew98
05-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I have done one many years ago. Shooting a 45/70 trapdoor that had been cut down to look like a cav carbine ( a very old cut down ). Anyhow using 405 grain cast bullets and 16 grains of unique I either dobel charged it or undercharged it ( detonation ). The breech block took a hunk of my hat's brim and I got some powder flakes in the face. Barrel and receiver were slightly bulged and cracked on the R/S. So for me...never smokeless loads in a BP breechloader again.
I was at a range in Englishtown NJ many years ago when some sod took a 6,5 carcano and managed to chamber 7,35 ammo in it. Was not pretty and the carted off the bloody mess in an ambulance...I recall he did'nt live.
A good friend of mine in WV was shooting a belgian made egyptian FN with surplus FNM ammo and had an out of battery. Took me two days of work to get it back up and running when he brought it over. Turns out he replaced the firing pin and the FN49's are notorious for out of battery bangs if the firing pins are over the proper length... and it was too long.
Had another buddy last year take a brand new KRIS 45acp 'carbine' and fire his jacketed reloads ( underpowered for 16" barrel ) in it and stacked up about 5 rounds before we realized nothing was going downrange in my impact area. Barrel split but did not burst , and every case ejected like normal. He went and had the barrel shortened , did the SBR and suppressor paperwork and he's one happy camper now..and when wetted that can makes the 45 super quiet baby !.

Gtek
05-16-2011, 11:28 AM
The ringing I have seen is just fwd of cup in case base. Do you know anyone who can slide it in on some non destructive testing on aircraft parts or X-ray to chase cracks. Make chamber cast with Cerrosafe and mic. It is a shame our best lessons are never cheap. I would go buy some lottery tickets. You are lucky, really! Gtek

exile
05-16-2011, 12:04 PM
The only people who don't make mistakes are those who never try anything. Glad you are not hurt. Also glad to see what a stout rifle the Yugo SKS is. Not making mistakes seems impossible, what is important is what we learn from them. Some good advice has been given here, I would follow it.

exile

nanuk
05-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Sage advice here. I don't use nor will ever use dippers. I had a ziploc baggie with a couple dozen I tried to sell...tossed 'em all in the fire pit.
The dippers always seemed to vary way too much for my taste.

and yet mechanical measures are used every day for large charges.

perhaps I am just ignorant, but I fail to see how a dipper can cause an issue if it is the proper size, the powder charge it throws is weighed, and it is used in a consistant manner.

How is this any different than a mechanical measure? 'specially one on a progressive.

at least in a dipper, you won't have a bridging problem

handyman25
05-18-2011, 02:50 PM
I would spend some money and have the rifle checked out buy a good gunsmith if you know of one, or at the very least go to a machine shop and have them check for cracks you cannot see they should have the equipment to do that otherwise find another shop.

gew98
05-18-2011, 09:56 PM
and yet mechanical measures are used every day for large charges.

perhaps I am just ignorant, but I fail to see how a dipper can cause an issue if it is the proper size, the powder charge it throws is weighed, and it is used in a consistant manner.

How is this any different than a mechanical measure? 'specially one on a progressive.

at least in a dipper, you won't have a bridging problem

Whether I scooped or poured to top off with the dippers I never got consistency like I always have from the mechanical drop type like on my Dillion or RCBS or Lee.
And one fluke like the OP had happen just makes me feel glad I dumped them all.

MtGun44
05-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Dipper is not the issue. Sure there will be a slight variation, but not enough to blow up
a gun with anything like a normal load.

Dutchman said it right (and this is NOT an attack on the user, just a recognition of where
the error should be assigned) "Not the dipper, but the dippee".

People make mistakes. This will always be the case. We can only be vigilant and try to
put in place double checks and procedures to minimize the errors.

Glad you and the rifle are OK. I have observed several blowups and participated in one
(somebody else's "commercial loaded" ammo) so know what it is like. Amazingly, with
safety glasses injuries are pretty rare, a wonderful thing.

Stay safe and have fun with the shooting sports.

Bill

DukeInFlorida
05-20-2011, 01:12 PM
I have had endless arguments with the Lee boys about their inclusion of a dipper in their die sets. As a Reloading Instructor, I advise my students to THROW THE DIPPERS AWAY.

If you read the silly stuff that Lee sends out in their printed materials, you'd think that magically the weight of a powder for a given size dipper will be +/-.1 grains in accuracy. WRONG!

You have to WEIGH the powder that you are dispensing. PLEASE WEIGH THE POWDER before you drop it into any case and plug a bullet into the end.

Let those who successfully DIP their powders tell us that it has worked fine for them for years, and is a very cheap way to dispense powder.

Then, try and tell this poor fellow how cheap it was to dispense powder that way.

I'm sorry, fellows, but you need to get a scale and weigh the powder that you are going to put in a case. It's the only safe way to do it.

Off the soap box.

M4bushy
05-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I have had endless arguments with the Lee boys about their inclusion of a dipper in their die sets. As a Reloading Instructor, I advise my students to THROW THE DIPPERS AWAY.

If you read the silly stuff that Lee sends out in their printed materials, you'd think that magically the weight of a powder for a given size dipper will be +/-.1 grains in accuracy. WRONG!

You have to WEIGH the powder that you are dispensing. PLEASE WEIGH THE POWDER before you drop it into any case and plug a bullet into the end.

Let those who successfully DIP their powders tell us that it has worked fine for them for years, and is a very cheap way to dispense powder.

Then, try and tell this poor fellow how cheap it was to dispense powder that way.

I'm sorry, fellows, but you need to get a scale and weigh the powder that you are going to put in a case. It's the only safe way to do it.

Off the soap box.

Duke,

I use the dippers all the time. The dipper that came with my 223 dies full of baking soda will raise the PH 1 point in my 120 gallon aquarium....;-)

fishnbob
05-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Duke,

I use the dippers all the time. The dipper that came with my 223 dies full of baking soda will raise the PH 1 point in my 120 gallon aquarium....;-)

Man, that is a helluva big aquarium;)

Uncle45Auto
05-20-2011, 05:19 PM
This has been an interesting topic. I would like to read about how the rifle shoots after this.

BTW: Catastrphe = an award made from a feline rear end.

ilcop22
05-22-2011, 04:36 AM
The chamber doesn't look ringed to me; although it is difficult to tell from a picture. Clean it out, chamber cast it, and see where that leaves you. SKS rifles are tanks, unlike their successors, the AK.

If it's any consolation, old surplus rounds blow up in my 91/30 chamber at least once everytime I take it out. The old girl is still shooting just fine... However that's due to case degredation, and not ye old kaboom. ;)

turbo1889
05-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Please don't take offense if someone else has already mentioned this since I only read the OP of this thread and skimmed the three pages of replies made so far.

One fool proof way to prevent a Ka-Boom like this is to use a powder that it is physically impossible to get enough inside the case to create an overload. Personally, this is my favorite method of loading cast boolit loads; specifically to use full case compressed load of powder that would generally be considered just a little too slow burning for the cartridge boolit weight combination that I am loading. I do this not only for safety reasons but also because it more often then not provides me with loads that have excellent ballistics and accuracy.

sirgknight
05-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Gunnard you are truely to be commended for making this post. It took a lot of courage and a real sense of obligation to inform all of us, who try to enjoy reloading, that it definitely has the potential to be very dangerous or even deadly. I have NO words of criticism, only words of gratitude that you were not injured. I'm speaking from experience here: that "incident" will be forever ingrained in your mind and it will be in the forefront of your thoughts at the reloading bench from now on. It will make you become a safer and better reloader from this point forward. I've always been told that if we survive our mistakes, to not make that same mistake again, and I venture to say that you will NEVER make THAT mistake again. Not only that, but it will cause you to be more conscience of what you are doing in all aspects of reloading and shooting. It is my wish for this incident to help you build many happy reloading moments. God bless.

new2cast
05-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Although it's obvious why that your gun took a dump but I would also examine all my loading practices just to make sure.

But all things aside it is very good to hear you are okay.