PDA

View Full Version : Precision reloading roll crimp tool

Newtire
03-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I got myself a Winchester 1901 and in the process of tooling up to load for the old boy I bought myself a metal roll crimping tool from Precision. It's the kind that goes in the drill press. I made a short film down in my messy garage and thought it might be something of interest to someone. It sure makes a purty crimp!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcpNmVyiFkk

cajun shooter
03-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Newtire, I have been using that roll crimper from precision for about three years now and they do a wonderful job. I do however use the shell holder that is sold by BPI while crimping my 12ga. hulls for my 1887 that is used in SASS matches. Same gun but they changed the name for the 10 ga. It's not as fast to shoot as the other styles but is alot more fun. How fast are you running your drill press? It sounds as if it is going faster than needed or it's my bad worn out old ears. Thanks for taking time to make the video as it will lend some help. You might want to show how to cut the hull as I am asked about that all the time. The wooden box cutter works better than the plastic cutter sold by Precision but I understand they made some improvements.

Newtire
03-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi Cajun,
I will check the speed and post it. There is another movie on how to trim the cases if you search on 10 gauge in Youtube. I will get that link too when I get more time later today.

I trim them by first making a mark with a sharpie. Next, I put the case over the end of a long dowel and hold the sharpie against the case while rotating it. This makes the mark to cut it to length. Then, I hold a sharp knife up against the case and rotate it until it cuts through. It doesn't take that long. The method that the other guy uses seems to work faster.

cajun shooter
03-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Look at the trimmer sold by Precision Reloading. It is called the D-Box and is made as a shell dismantler but with the addition of the hull insert it becomes a trimmer. It is very fast and quite a bit easier than how you do it. It is both fast and precise. The cost of both pieces is about $25. I have two of them set up for different hulls although one would work. I became tired of it being in the wrong place when needed so that is the main reason. My casting and supply shop is a 12x24 building about 35 yards behind the house and is where I do most of my trimming.

Newtire
03-08-2011, 11:09 PM
It turns out that the speed is 640 RPM (slowest it goes). Only takes a second though.

cajun shooter
03-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Newtire, I was not needing the info as my drill press is set up for the job. I was trying to tell you that yours sounded as if it was too fast. The 640 speed is ok. It is a point that I was also trying to make to anyone who watched your video as you did not make reference to it. A slow speed is called for when doing roll crimps. They did quite well with hand turned tools in the 1800's and eary 1900's. A fast speed would tear up the paper hulls. Take Care

Newtire
03-10-2011, 10:23 PM
The 640 speed already tears up my paper hulls! I think I'm sticking to plastic with the power model and hand crank for the paper myself.