PDA

View Full Version : wolf small rifle primers

Pirate69
03-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Has anyone tried the wolf small rifle primers as small pistol primers? Understand the cup is copper rather than brass and a little more sensitive.

CWME
03-06-2011, 07:32 PM
I am running the small rifle magnum primers in the 223 and 6BR with good luck. I had to play with the 6br load a little when I changed from CCI but so far so good.

stubshaft
03-06-2011, 10:03 PM
They work fine in my FA83 454.

Pirate69
03-06-2011, 10:58 PM
I am trying to determine if they will fire in a Beretta 92F or a XD-9 semi-auto. Looks like primer prices are going to go up and the Wolf small rifle primers are cheap if they will ignite by a semi-auto hammer.

03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
There has been much discussion about Wolf primers. Some members have experienced problems and others not. I use small pistol, small pistol magnum, large pistol and large rifle and have never experienced a failure to ignite.

"...if they will ignite by a semi-auto hammer."

Every time with my .45 ACP Randall.

Freightman
03-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I have used 8000 so far and not even one FTF.

parrott1969
03-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Love them, absolutely no problems and I have used every type that they make. Unsed in both progressive press and hand hand prime.

truckmsl
03-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Try some in your guns before buying a large quantity. They did not work well for me in several guns using three different presses.

fishnbob
03-07-2011, 04:50 PM
I haven't had any FTF's but in every instance where I substituted Wolf primers in the same loads where I once used Rem., CCI or WW's, they showed pressure and I had to back down on the powder a few tenths of a grain to eliminate flattened and cratered primers. The Wolf primers also chronographed a coupla hundred fps faster than the other primers. If you are pushing max loads, you need to back them down and work back up. I also tried small rifle in pistol and they fired but showed pressure.

nanuk
03-09-2011, 08:38 PM
I haven't had any FTF's but in every instance where I substituted Wolf primers in the same loads where I once used Rem., CCI or WW's, they showed pressure and I had to back down on the powder a few tenths of a grain to eliminate flattened and cratered primers. The Wolf primers also chronographed a coupla hundred fps faster than the other primers. If you are pushing max loads, you need to back them down and work back up. I also tried small rifle in pistol and they fired but showed pressure.

good advice anytime you are playing around at the top of the pressure limits, unless you know how the change is going to effect your load.

GabbyM
03-10-2011, 12:06 AM
I copied the Wolf SR primer description from Weidners page.
Wolf is selling three types of SR primers. I bought a bunch of the 223 Rem primers back when they were about twice this price. They are in a red box.
>
>
>
Wolf small rifle primers are now available in types.

SMALL RIFLE PRIMER (part # QQQSR) - Used as a standard small rifle primer. Perfect for the 30 carbine and 223 standard loads. Many people use this primer in bench and other loads for the 223. This primer is a copper colored primer.

SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMER (part# QQQSRM) - This is the primer we had before for use in the 5.56 loads and hot 223 loads. A thick cup for the higher pressure. We sold a lot of these primers earlier this year. The new lot is brass colored instead of nickel.

SMALL RIFLE 223 (part # QQQSR223) NEW NEW This is the newest primer available in the Wolf line. It is ever so slightly hotter than the small rifle magnum primer and it comes with a brass colored thick cup. This primer can be used in place of the SRM primer or used when a different powder is used that is hard to ignite.

Wolf primers look great. They are made in Russia and packaged in 100 rd trays in 1000 sleeves and 5000 cases. They are packed anvil up so no "primer flipping" required. They are ALL BRASS and our tests indicate excellent quality at a lower price than other primers.

Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers have the same power as regular Wolf Small Rifle primers, but the cup is a little thicker and less sensitive.