PDA

View Full Version : New Englander trigger HEAVY!

lefty_red
11-24-2006, 05:41 PM
I've got an older NewEnglander in 50cal. I was wondering if its trigger is adjustable.

Lefty

44man
11-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Does it have a set trigger?

lefty_red
11-25-2006, 11:35 AM
No, its the "shotgun" rounded trigger guard.

It really shoots good, but I could do better if it had my RENEGADE's double trigger on it.

But when I say its heavy, I mean like ten pounds or so! I was wondering if there was a "secret" screw on it or something before I send it to the gunsmith.

Lefty

NickSS
11-26-2006, 05:46 AM
You could do what I did which is take the lock out of the rifle and watch the sear as you cock the hammer. You will probably see that the sear drops into a rather deep undercut notch. This is the way TC avoids lawsuits due to "hair triggers" To fix this all you need to do is shim the tumbler. You can estimate the thickness by pushing up on the sear bar that the trigger pushes on the release the hammer. If you watch closely you will see the hammer forced further to the rear and then released. If you cut a thin shim and either solder it or epoxi it to the tumbler behind the sear notch you will greatly reduce the trigger pull. The object is to use enough shim to eliminate the trigger travel before it releases. Do not overdo the thickness of the shim as that could cause a hair trigger not a lighter one.

lefty_red
11-26-2006, 10:40 PM
I was looking at the NE tonight and was wondering if the Hawken/Renegade double triggers would fit it? If so, I can pick up a set cheap then sending it to the smith.

I'll see about that in the morning.

Lefty

twotoescharlie
11-27-2006, 10:52 AM
won't work unless the tumbler has a fly in it.

TTC

mag_01
11-27-2006, 11:58 AM
A better trigger can be accomplish in most cases by a fine oil stone with oil and finish with a buffing compound like 3M medium grade----also spring pressure if possible (less)--this is just basics---Just go easy if this is your first attempt at a trigger job----Mag

lefty_red
11-28-2006, 04:48 PM
I think I'm going to part it out on ebay and take the money and get me a GREAT PLAINS RIFLE in LH like I wanted!

Lefty

Ringo
11-28-2006, 06:03 PM
The factory will lighten the trigger to about 3# for you. If you want to try yourself I believe the trigger is the same as the Handi Rifle here is a link that shows how to DIY.
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,52341.msg308025.html#msg308025

Have fun and keep its safe out there!

C A Plater
11-29-2006, 08:05 AM
I took apart my NE and looked at the trigger. You could use double set triggers because it does have a fly. Fitting one is another issue. You could lighten the pull some by taking a couple of coils of the sear spring and making sure the spring does not bind in the hole or the cap.

lefty_red
11-29-2006, 09:16 PM
OK, I looked at the lock.

First, the double set triggers from the Renegade/Hawken WILL work casuse the lock is the same. But, I'll have to refit the triggers a little on the inside. Nothing a few hours and some patience couldn't fix.

Second, I think I tightened the lock to the stock a little too much and might have binded the trigger. I'm going to try the above suggestions this weekend. The lock is well made and is easy to take down and work on.

Third, I think bedding the reciever, the lock and side plate and the trigger assembly. The stock has alot of material missing from the inside. Maybe even adding braces to make it stronger.

Lefty