PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Uniflow Microadjustable Meter

wv109323
03-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Does anyone have experience with the uniflow powder measure with the microadjustable powder cylinder?
To buy the microadjustable part is about 40 dollars. Is it worth it?

Frank
03-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Yes, it's great. It's a little long but it works fabulous. Write the setting down and you know how to find the spot next time. The uniflow is a great powder measure. I prefer the pistol cylinder. It's more precise. You will need the pistol micrometer for it.

Doc Highwall
03-06-2011, 07:08 PM
I have several of them and they are great. When I set on up say for 20 grains of powder I first weigh out 20 grains on the scale and dump it into the empty powder measure. Then while looking down into the powder measure I screw the micrometer in or out so the 20 grains of powder just filled up the cavity to get me close. Then I drop the powder baffle in and fill the reservoir with powder and cycle the drum several times to let the powder settle dumping the powder back into the powder measure. Now I throw single charges and weigh each one to get 20 grains and when I am sure that I have it I write the measurement down along with the powder lot number. You will find the the powder density will vary from lot to lot but now you will have a good starting place.

LabGuy
03-06-2011, 11:40 PM
I’ve got one set up with the small size. It works great. Every time I get a new powder (or lot), I drop and weigh a charge at each whole number setting. Then I put the settings and the weights into Excel, and run a linear regression. Then when I need a specific charge, I enter it into Excel, and get the powder measure setting out. It’s typically within 0.3 grains. Makes it a lot faster to fine tune to the correct setting. And of course I only use it for a starting point , and verify the actual weight.

Carolina Cast Bullets
03-06-2011, 11:50 PM
The Uniflow is a great measure. And RCBS is a great support operation as well. My measure was part of an inheritance from my Brother in Law's estate. Both the measure screw, lock screw and drum were binding but workable. RCBS sent me the necessary parts to make it like new AT NO COST TO ME ! ! ! This was great enough but I didnt buy the measure and it was easily over 40 years old. Now thats customer service!

I set my scale for 10 times the powder charge and throw 10 charges. A little trial and error gets me on zero with a 10x. Once there, I verify a single charge several times and go. I use small charges, usually not more than 5.0 grains of powder and this method is extremly accurate.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

1hole
03-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Any powder measure can work very well if the operator finds and uses the operating method it prefers. All iron bodied measures work basically the same, there is very little, if any, difference in effect. I think the Uniflow is vastly over-rated, not that it isn't okay but it's NOT any better than it's competitors like the Hornady, Lyman and Redding, all of which have micrometer heads as part of the package rather than a high cost add-on. (Most people who have inflated opinions of the Uniflow simply have little or no experience with any others.)

A small powder chamber for small charges IS an advantage for pistol and tiny rifle charges. All of the major measures but Lyman have accessory chambers for the small charges. Lyman's 55 is unique in that the adjustable chamber has two sliding bars that can be individually adjusted for both large and small charges so it requires no additional chambers at all.

o6Patient
03-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have been away from reloading a while so excuse some of my ignorance in advance(thank you) I hope to catch up with some help.
I have to agree with 1hole in what i found with measures in my limited experience and in general, that is to say the rotating iron body measure is pretty much going to give the same result from measure to measure providing operator consistency. I started with a hornady pacific measure and it came complete with a small and a large micrometer adjusters and it was relatively inexpensive at the time. The only draw back to this measure that I have seen is the rather tall powder column- was quite sensitive to the level of powder I had in the hopper. I had to keep it within about a 1& 1/2 inch range and it did very well with ball powder for magnum pistol and even my .223 loads- small chamber. Stick powder-large chamber, I trickled so the measure only had to be utility to be adequate. I suspect if I was to resurrect the old tall red one i would mount it on a cast arm instead of the flimsy one that came with it, install some sort of powder baffle, maybe two, and use a longer heavier handle.
All three modifications i believe dramatically improve most of these type of measures. Also using the smaller diameter cylinder appropriate to the capacity needed results in less cutting and less variance.

Willbird
03-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Any powder measure can work very well if the operator finds and uses the operating method it prefers. All iron bodied measures work basically the same, there is very little, if any, difference in effect. I think the Uniflow is vastly over-rated, not that it isn't okay but it's NOT any better than it's competitors like the Hornady, Lyman and Redding, all of which have micrometer heads as part of the package rather than a high cost add-on. (Most people who have inflated opinions of the Uniflow simply have little or no experience with any others.)

A small powder chamber for small charges IS an advantage for pistol and tiny rifle charges. All of the major measures but Lyman have accessory chambers for the small charges. Lyman's 55 is unique in that the adjustable chamber has two sliding bars that can be individually adjusted for both large and small charges so it requires no additional chambers at all.

Actually the lyman 55 has 3 parts you can move to change the volume, the whole round drum can be slid out to do large volume charges, and as I recall it is graduated for bulk black powder charges ?...and if you move it out you can still fine tune with the slides ?

Bill

o6Patient
03-09-2011, 02:21 PM
"I suspect if I was to resurrect the old tall red one i would mount it on a cast arm instead of the flimsy one that came with it, install some sort of powder baffle, maybe two, and use a longer heavier handle.
All three modifications i believe dramatically improve most of these type of measures."

I would like to clarify my last sentence in my post: Agreeing generally that accuracy with this type of measure is most dependent on operating consistency the above modifications do not improve the measure in anyway but rather help in the throwing consistency which translates usually into charge weight consistency.

o6Patient
03-09-2011, 02:24 PM
"I suspect if I was to resurrect the old tall red one i would mount it on a cast arm instead of the flimsy one that came with it, install some sort of powder baffle, maybe two, and use a longer heavier handle.
All three modifications i believe dramatically improve most of these type of measures."

I would like to clarify my last sentence in my post: Agreeing generally that accuracy with this type of measure is most dependent on operating consistency the above modifications do not improve the measure in anyway but rather help in the throwing consistency which translates usually into charge weight consistency.:veryconfu

1hole
03-09-2011, 05:59 PM
"Actually the lyman 55 has 3 parts you can move to change the volume,.."

You are correct. It's been a long time since I used one and I'm old so it's okay for me to have a defective memory but thanks for the help. ;)

winelover
03-09-2011, 07:50 PM
"Better than a sharp stick in the eye". I upgraded to the mirco-adjustable years ago and was very pleased with it's repeatability. Just record the setting. I started off loading pistol and used only the small rotor. When I began reloading for rifle, I changed over to the large rotor and found that it metered my pistol charges exceptionally well. No need to change back and forth! When RCBS came out with their Chargemaster Combo, I purchased one and haven't looked back.

Winelover

beanflip
03-09-2011, 07:59 PM
RCBS Uniflow Microadjustable Meters are great!

Wouldn't be without them as I have them on both the large and small drums.

Frank
03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
beanflip:
RCBS Uniflow Microadjustable Meters are great!

Wouldn't be without them as I have them on both the large and small drums.
Some complain about the long design. For me the long design is a benefit because it provides leverage and control when installing/removing the measure. No need for a wrench, just tighten/ loosen with the long micrometer in the palm. Helps keep it on the up stroke when removing so you don't spill out powder also. :coffeecom

GLShooter
03-16-2011, 08:12 PM
I did not buy one for years (Just being obstinate and CHEAP!!!:evil:) But when I did I kicked myself for about two hours!! The darn things make going back to a charge so easy and changing the drop weight by increments a breeze.

Greg