PDA

View Full Version : Any Regrets ?

BSkerj
03-06-2011, 04:41 PM
I ordered a 45/70 Shiloh Sharps last Nov. I did add a couple of bells and whistles,i.e. embedded barrel, semi-fancy wood, checkering. Now I am considering adding on some engraving. I want to put a Masonic square and compass, somewhat like my avitar on the rifle. I think this would go along with the "era" of the rifle. My question is , do you regret not putting on engraving, such as elk, buffalo, or initials or maybe regret adding them on. Just wanted to pick some brains before I go forward. I will be using this rifle for hunting and targets...not a wall hanger or safe queen and it will be passed down hopefully to my son and grandson. Seeing some pictures of your engraving on your favorite rifles would be great also.

SamTexas49
03-06-2011, 05:24 PM
I have the Saddle Rifle I bought way bac kin 1985, came with somewhat fancy wood, set triggers and thats it ! It's been up down Montains of Montana and out on the Buffalo plains taking Antelope. Regrets ? NONE!

Jim
03-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Onliest thing that comes to mind is having a special emblem, like the Masonic emblem, engraved on it might affect market interest in the future.
If that's not an issue, have at it!

Frank46
03-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Go for it!!!!!!. Your money and its you who will be shooting it. Really like the idea of someone's
fraternal organization engraved on their rifle. Mason's have been around for a long time. Frank

Uncle R.
03-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Many years ago a wise man gave me some advice on my concerns about modifications of factory guns and the effect on market values. "Are you planning to sell it, or will you keep it for the rest of your life? No matter what you do or how hard you try you can't keep it forever. The day will come when someone else will own it and gee won't he be grateful that you kept it so nice for him? To heck with that! It's yours - use it, shoot it, do as YOU wish with it and don't worry so much about that guy who'll own it after you're gone.

BSkerj
03-07-2011, 12:27 AM
Many years ago a wise man gave me some advice on my concerns about modifications of factory guns and the effect on market values. "Are you planning to sell it, or will you keep it for the rest of your life? No matter what you do or how hard you try you can't keep it forever. The day will come when someone else will own it and gee won't he be grateful that you kept it so nice for him? To heck with that! It's yours - use it, shoot it, do as YOU wish with it and don't worry so much about that guy who'll own it after you're gone.

Good advice Uncle R ! Thanks !

waksupi
03-07-2011, 03:12 AM
I think it would be interesting. Did you know the first registered brand in Montana was the Square and Compass? It resides in our Lodge, last time I knew. My memory is foggy, but I believe it was Granville Stewart's.

Bad Ass Wallace
03-07-2011, 06:12 AM
Don't Masons use hammers & chisles, not really with the era of the rifle

My friend has a Shiloh '63 with a wolf on the left, and an Sioux chief on the other. Looks fantastic.:Fire:

BSkerj
03-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Waksupi, I remember hearing something like that. I am a lifetime member of the Bannock Historical Lodge and I think they mentioned that at the Fall comunication a few years back. Bro. Dave Pruitt was giving a little history lesson and mentioned it. I was born and raised in Butte MT.

rollmyown
03-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Alot like asking if you regret getting that tattoo. Some have no regrets, while others do. It may be hard to tell until you are a few years down the track. If the rifle stays in your family for some generations the link with the past is without doubt a good thing. If you have doubts....
Enjoy!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Totally this Ol'Coot's opinion but, ------------------------

Engraving YES!!!!!! Possibly with some inlays, but not of something like spoken of here. Again IMHO!

For any inlay, again such as spoken of here, to be of good quality, it must have depth and the more depth, the more it is subject to damage.

For inlays such as heads of game, birds, hunting dogs, lodge things to be really good, the third dimension of "depth" must be present, and the more depth the better.

Again, The more depth/thickness, the more it is subject to damage AND POSSIBLE LOSS.

Some gold ribbon inlays around the muzzle, around portions of the action etc. add real class to a good engraving job, but if this was my rifle, and it is intended to be a "working" rifle, I would get myself a gold fob to put on my key ring or watch chain and forget the heavy/thick/easy to damage inlay on my rifle.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

C1PNR
03-12-2011, 07:45 PM
BSkerj,
Why not add the Square and Compass?

Does yours have a patch box on the off side of the stock? If not, that might be a nice place for a good sized inlay. As for the Watch Fob idea, I'll just wear my ring instead.

Now the questions becomes, what material do you use?.

PatMarlin
03-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Just may make it more valuable someday to the right guy.

Skipper488
03-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I have a long history if a tool is not what I want, I modify it to be what I want. If putting the masonic emblem on the gun makes it better for you, go for it. There are plenty of masons out there to sell the gun to if you ever decide to get rid of it. In fact I'd like first chance should that day come.

Dframe
03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
So who gives a rodents rectum what anyone else thinks? It's your gun. If it makes you happy do it.

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-14-2011, 05:01 PM
My only serious regret was not taking Susan Isringhausen up on her offer to show me the choir loft one Sunday afternoon after services, back in the 10th grade.

Build the rifle to your specs = how ever pretty you can afford her.

Rich

Four Fingers of Death
03-16-2011, 12:08 AM
I always wanted to build a set of the guns I used at work, with fancy wood and engraving and the badges of my old Lancer Regiment and the Corrective Services badge. The guns were and 870 Remington, Mini14 and a Model 10 Smith& Wesson 38Special with a three inch heavy barrel.

The 870 and the Mini 14 are banned out her and I can have the model10, but with a minimum 4" Bbl. Just quiet not the same.

I might do the engraving on my favourite lever gun oine day, but I can never decide which one is my fav. The Browning BPCR is a nice rifle and a good canditate for some art work.